May 3rd, 2012 at 4:14 pm
ance to the music you love – at a class, a club, or at home with friends.
2. Record your family history.
3. Revisit the hippy trail in India, but this time upgrade your trip to ‘lux’.
4. Join meetup.com and find a group devoted to your passion.
5. Glamp it up at Glastonbury in a Shikar tent.
6. Don’t get fat.
7. Start your own business (the most successful first-time entrepreneurs are 50+)
8. Make bread, bake cakes, brew beer.
9. Travel out of your comfort zone (Shanghai, anyone?)
10. Find the best hairstylist you can afford and revamp your look.
11. Join an ideas network, debating society or book group to keep your brain ticking over.
12. Make walking a part of every day.
13. Love the one you’re with – or leave them.
14. Look at it this way: an empty nest is just a cottage industry waiting to happen.
15. Find your perfect shade of Chanel red lipstick.
16. Been around the block a few times? Write a novel.
17. Start being the godmother or father you wish you’d had growing up.
18. Set yourself a personal challenge (climb all 283 Munro peaks, scour Ebay for a vintage Kelly bag, enter a triathlon)
19. Never forget that bald, done right, is very hot indeed.
20. Acquire a skill you’re much too old for (surfing, horse-riding, DJing)
21. Save time and money with a personal shopper.
22. Start a food festival in your village.
23. Get to know your neighbours.
24. Buy a falling down house somewhere hot and spend every summer there.
25. Start a new tradition (an annual walking weekend, making Christmas puddings in October)
26. Read Proust. Been there, done that? Try Ulysses.
27. Lay down a wine cellar.
28. Treat yourself to a lay in.
29. Buy a vintage sports car, just because you’re worth it.
31. This New Year’s Eve, rent a country house and invite the people you love most for a night they’ll never forget.
32. Discover very expensive lingerie.
33. Take a week to be alone with yourself.
34. Visit Rio for the Carnival.
35. Come out of the closet.
36. Make a list of the over-fifties who inspire you.
37. Shed your toxic friends and replace with kindly ones.
38. Refuse to accept that miniskirts and skinny jeans are for under-forties only.
39. Take out a subscription to the London Review of Books.
40. Join a choir.
41. Discover why gardening is the best therapy.
42. Learn how to Zumba.
43. Relish emotional maturity.
44. Start a vegetable patch.
45. Check into a posh Swiss medispa for a personal MOT.
46. Make a will that keeps the peace amongst your offspring or just leave it all to charity.
47. Open-plan living is so over; reinstate your dining room for grown-up dinner parties.
48. Take up wild swimming.
49. Cycle to work.
50. Spend the first Tuesday evening of every month doing something you’ve never tried before.