Drake on “So Far Gone” vs. Thank Me Later

drake-x-xxl

Yesterday, after we posted the bit about Drake not being the typical street dude in rap music today, it spawned a whole debate in the comments about whether street cred has anything to do with good music, and Rick Ross thus became another example of such an argument. Either way, in this other interview excerpt, Drake talks about putting out a mixtape like So Far Gone, which he was singing on, and thinking he had made the biggest mistake of his life.

Yeah, ’cause I started the mixtape off with an R&B song about women that were lost in the world. It was a risk. I mean, we knew it meant something to us, but we also sat there, like, “Man, are people going to accept this? A rapper that’s singing?” And I’m not just doing melodies, I’m singing. Same with this album—I’m singing. And I even went further. I explored music on So Far Gone. I was taking other people’s music and revamping it. I can’t do that on an album. I love that genre of music. It sparks something in me when I use soundscapes or write like that. So now I’ve crafted my own interpretations on that that apply to my life, and I’m just wondering, Are those going to work now? ’Cause it’s just me. It’s my shit. So it’s a lot of unknowns on this album.

More: Drake, Eyes on Me [XXL]

Pic by Jonathan Mannion

122 Responses to “Drake on “So Far Gone” vs. Thank Me Later

1. baby jesus Says:

Ricky Rosé >

2. nation Says:

a lot of things > Rick Ross

3. b-ease Says:

I watched that shit.

Wasn’t impressed but it wasn’t wack either.

My suggestion?

A name change and a Co-D not in his 40’s.

Fair enough. But just to clarify, P.So (while a cool cat) isnt my partner (ll) or anything, he’s just an artist that was on the bill with me and we were both there promoting the show.

4. AmpGeez a.k.a. Smoke Greene Says:

Drake needs to STFU, fa real fa real.

5. 007 Says:

Rick Ross believes his own lyrics
    *dead*

6. G7 Says:

Shooter Says:

April 13th, 2010 at 12:10 pm
    Mos’ best > Kweli’s best

which is what really counts, imo

====
    but Mos’ two bad albums are terrawful though. kweli’s got some joints. Mos’ New Danger stays at the top of my most regretted purchase list.

7. Joe 88 Says:

alright, i’m watching it now b-ease.

8. F YOU PAY ME! Says:

1st…Nahright yall should feel ashamed by posting rick ross’s music.. i mean yeah the music is good but he is a KNOWN FRAUD..Rick Ross is arguably the biggest fraud artist in hip hop history and yall still post his shit…You cannot possibly say you support real hip hop and support a fraud like ricky..just my opinion tho

oh yeah

drake is garbage..trash receptacle

9. AmpGeez a.k.a. Smoke Greene Says:

Bun B > Rick Ross

Bun will rap circles around that guy.

10. baby jesus Says:

fair enough. But just to clarify, P.So (while a cool cat) isnt my partner (ll) or anything, he’s just an artist that was on the bill with me and we were both there promoting the show.

CANNON!

11. AmpGeez a.k.a. Smoke Greene Says:

Diggy > Rick Ross

But I hate Diggy that much more so Ross wins.

12. Joe 88 Says:

@b-ease

how did you end up linking with brooklyn college radio?

13. London Bloke Says:

it spawned a whole debate in the comments

Yo now we discussing B-ease’s youtube performance

Post that for the masses

14. G7 Says:

>>Rick Ross believes his own lyrics
    *dead*

^funny, but so true

15. Detroit P Says:

# nation Says:
    April 13th, 2010 at 12:12 pm

a lot of things > Rick Ross
    Arent u sposed to be in Jamaica gargling on Drakes mayo?

16. London Bloke Says:

translation: He crap. i know this. we didnt come together [n]

17. Beezy Says:

Terry Bradshaw going in on Rothlisberger

18. Chief Ali Says:

*reads various comments from this morning*

*dies several times*

whatup niggas

*daps all*

19. Shooter Says:

Arent u sposed to be in Jamaica gargling on Drakes mayo?

lol, wow

20. baby jesus Says:

this nigga bernard performing at santos? i aint know you was a hipster

21. Danielson The Elusive Says:

Bun B > Rick Ross

Bun will rap circles around that guy.

yeah, it’ll just take all day.

22. London Bloke Says:

yo land be lurking in between creating a protective shield over his crib with plywood and scrap metal

And a fedora made of tin foil

23. G7 Says:

clef’s fake jamaican accent >> drake’s fake american accent

24. b-ease Says:

how did you end up linking with brooklyn college radio?

Dude that hosted that organized the show I was performing at heard my material and put me on the bill. The radio station was just a promo event they had set up for said show.

25. Chief Ali Says:

Beezy Says:

Terry Bradshaw going in on Rothlisberger

——-

*dead* @ him saying he’s learning how to dislike Rothlisberger

ether of the caucasian variety >>>>>>>>>

26. 007 Says:

What will Drake’s first week move???

I’d say close to 200?

Thoughts?

27. baby jesus Says:

Terry Bradshaw going in on Rothlisberger

i peeped that, lmao @ him tellin that nigga to “GTFO that motorcycle”.

28. London Bloke Says:

Yo b-ease

Did you drive a hearst to the show? Just out of interest

29. Joe 88 Says:

fredrick douglas from maryland
    you can’t chain me ho
    I’m looking at this cop, like don’t taze me bro

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. My man got the sophisticated sticky fingaz look going on (pause) that shit was tight, i’m adding it to my favorites, that’ll be the 6 video in my favs, lol

30. horsechoker Says:

You know, I never quite understood the math on selling 100K out of your trunk. You would need to sell roughly 4000+ a month to do that. That means you and a crew of 5 would need to sell 800 a month or 27 copies a day. (That’d be two years, though for what it’s worth)

It seems pretty fucking unlikely. Anyone got any experience with this?

31. 007 Says:

Wiz>>Drake all day

Shit Ryan Lesli>>Drake

Drake not bad tho I just dont care for the hype. Its impossible for him to live up to it. The Over song is good video let me down tho. Especially after he sd he was takin it to a new place etc.

32. b-ease Says:

*daps Ali*

Yoooo, good look joe, I’m damn near top 5, lol.

33. b-ease Says:

Did you drive a hearst to the show?

Of course.

And its “hearse”.

34. G7 Says:

Arent u sposed to be in Jamaica gargling on Drakes mayo?

lol, wow

===
    type vicious

35. nation Says:

>> Wiz>>Drake all day

oh god

36. Beezy Says:

i heardt b-ease live show starts with an older woman on stage in all black, crying…in funeral attire

then a casket comes up from under the stage whilest fireworks go off and his theme song/first single “Stealing Lanes” plays

then he pops out singing a CuDi-esque diddy to the crowd’s delight

37. London Bloke Says:

And its “hearse”.

my bad

too many drinks at lunch

:-)

38. Leonard Washington aka the Silky Johnson of Nah Right=HATE! HATE! HATE! Says:

AmpGeez a.k.a. Smoke Greene Says:

April 13th, 2010 at 12:14 pm
    Bun B > Rick Ross

Bun will rap circles around that guy.
    ^^^ Thanks AMP for haver the good sense that God blessed you with.

39. G7 Says:

>>too many drinks at lunch

^i thought you Brits drink tea at lunch?

40. b-ease Says:

That’s actually sounds really, really, ill.

41. LaneKiffin*CainSniffin*LaneSwitchin* Says:

Same with this album—I’m singing. And I even went further.

^^^^^^^^^^^
    dam. if this wasnt an anticipation killer…….

42. Mag Says:

At age 10 2pac influenced me to tag up “Fuck biggie, Fuck Bad Boy”… SMH

43. AmpGeez a.k.a. Smoke Greene Says:

The more Drake talks, the more I realize he’s the type of cat I despise.

Just rap slash sing nigga.

44. Mook Says:

Wiz>>Drake all day

Shit Ryan Lesli>>Drake

Yeah that Over video was the worst. Drake is 0 for 2.

45. LaneKiffin*CainSniffin*LaneSwitchin* Says:

007 Says:

April 13th, 2010 at 12:18 pm
    What will Drake’s first week move???

I’d say close to 200?

Thoughts?

^^^^^^^^^^^
    if you mean 200 million, yea. Ppl are sheep and this white boy got the masses ya herd

46. TheCo!!inB Says:

I’m telling you now, I’m going to flip an “Ave Maria” interpretation and send it to Ross and it’s going to be the best song he’s ever done. I’ve got the entire song mapped out in my head.
    @Bloke
    Away from my security goon position I’m an assistant manager for Enterprise Rent a Car. Nothing major.

47. Joe 88 Says:

B-ease, now you’re top 5, I removed the unforgivable nigga from my favs. Now it’s just my 2 videos of me in the studio, the young jeezy spoof, and you (pause)

I had to watch the young jeezy spoof just for ole time sakes tho

Gucci, WHY IS YA NAME GUCCI?

48. Chief Ali Says:

b-ease what it is?

looks like i’m going to be great on 4/20…just came up on some GD purp for the lizzow

49. b-ease Says:

translation: He crap. i know this. we didnt come together [n]

LOL! Naw, honestly, I actually fuck with dude’s music. His last tape got a Nah post, I recommend it.

50. Beezy Says:

b-ease aka The Undertaker of the Rap Game

51. Shooter Says:

The more Drake talks, the more I realize he’s the type of cat I despise.

Lupe syndrome

52. Chief Ali Says:

Beezy Says:

————–

lmao!

53. b-ease Says:

Yeah that Over video was the worst

Can’t front, it is definitely really, really, bad.

54. b-ease Says:

Super High >>>>>

Just thought that needed to be said again.

55. Chief Ali Says:

LF: Never blaze before going to the gig. Mofos asking me if I got enough rest last night and shit lol

56. Beezy Says:

b-ease is DYING to get a deal…pun intended

57. Shooter Says:

Yeah that Over video was the worst

he’s 0 for 2 now it seems

58. Mook Says:

The more Drake talks, the more I realize he’s the type of cat I despise.

Lupe syndrome

Haha yeah they both nerds buts Drake is the undercover-nerd. Lupe out with his shit he had a Nintendo DS on his album cover…lol

59. LaneKiffin*CainSniffin*LaneSwitchin* Says:

I dont even fuck wit RnB like that but Alicia Keys – I’m Ready >>>>>>>>>Drakes homo angelic voice

60. b-ease Says:

Mofos asking me if I got enough rest last night and shit lol

Same thing happened to me last week. And shorty knew damn well I was stoned, all on that high school “lets make the spot hot” shit.

61. Leonard Washington aka the Silky Johnson of Nah Right=HATE! HATE! HATE! Says:

b-ease Says:

April 13th, 2010 at 12:27 pm
    Super High >>>>>

Just thought that needed to be said again.

^^^ get rawses balls out your mouth homie..smh

62. 007 Says:

I hope Drake’s handlers read these comments

Even tho the Video will be #1 on 106 for 10 months guess it dont matter

Nicki Minaj Ass>Nicki Minaj Raps

While on the topic she’s overated too I hate that shit she does w her voice.
    She da Double Stack(x) 2010 version of Lil Kim

63. G7 Says:

Super High >>>>>

Just thought that needed to be said again.

===
    it really didn’t…lol.

64. AmpGeez a.k.a. Smoke Greene Says:

==============================
    I’m at the point that I don’t give a fuck.

I tell em Kush is my cologne, gone on that super strong….

65. Els Says:

My Chick Bad gets way too many plays

How the hell is that a good song

66. Rick aka KING OF DA BOOM BAP BOMB STRAPPED TO MY CHEST ASKIN WHERE YA GOONZ AT Says:

also kweli has some joints. never been in love >>>>

67. 007 Says:

“And we on’t fuck around wit dem fuck around niggas”

68. AmpGeez a.k.a. Smoke Greene Says:

also kweli has some joints. never been in love >>>>
    ==================================
    But he’s so geeky, he turns bitches off.

Just kilt that beat tho.

69. Mook Says:

Nicki Minaj Ass>Nicki Minaj Raps

It’s fake though so she loses some points

70. Harlem World Says:

And I’m not just doing melodies, I’m singing. Same with this album—I’m singing.

DO YOU MUTHAFUCKERS NEED ANY MORE PROOF!

DAMN NIGRAS!

71. b-ease Says:

^^^ get rawses balls out your mouth homie..smh

Who the fuck are you faggot? Making references to male on male oral sex and what not? Fall back. Don’t address me on here.

72. Mook Says:

My Chick Bad gets way too many plays

How the hell is that a good song

The beat is cool the first time you hear it but then it gets repetitive after the first 2 listens…
    and what the hell was Luda rapping about? “I fill her up, Ballons!”
    …seriously?

73. Leonard Washington aka the Silky Johnson of Nah Right=HATE! HATE! HATE! Says:

I wonder what happens when smack a silicone fatty it cant move the same as a real donk

74. b-ease Says:

“My Chick Bad” is a terrible, terrible, song, on a lot of levels.

75. Chief Ali Says:

———

I’m sure they knew over here as well…lol…after so many pulls, my “don’t give a fuck” meter no longer registers…Throw on some light cologne and hand sanitizer and I’m in this bish getting my autopilot on

76. 007 Says:

@ Mook
    My homeboy just sent me a pic some girl he met. Her joint look like a basketball CRAZY ass. I have yet to witness one of these fakes asses in person or at least I didnt kno I did.

Lola Monroe body CRAZY, you gotta feel crazy walkin down the street w that tho? She causin causin car wrecks n shit

*blank stare*

77. Black Says:

Yung Berg, All I Do Is Lose

^^^^^

Yo I’m all for clowning a nigga but damn i read this shit and started feeling bad for the dude.

78. Leonard Washington aka the Silky Johnson of Nah Right=HATE! HATE! HATE! Says:

b-ease Says:

April 13th, 2010 at 12:37 pm
    ^^^ get rawses balls out your mouth homie..smh

^^^ B ease must have been either a prag or one of the CO’spig buddies, Im betting on prag.

79. Mook Says:

Ay what y’all think do women lose points when either their ass or tits are fake?

80. Els Says:

Its goin down, basement

81. Harlem World Says:

previously on The Degrassi Show:

Drake phones prison buddies C-Murder, Turk

Talks to ex Hot Boy B.G over the phone

Tells us he rolls with real street dudes like Mr 17.5 and Officer Roberts

Tells the world he is a singer

82. Els Says:

seriously though, if these “rappers” want to get the bitches dancing, just go techno, only a handful of rap songs get the chicks hyped and they suck

83. D_Block_4_Life Says:

Why niggas take shots at gudda gudda so much? His wayne diss is up there with hit em up & ether, dude comes proper when he wants to (n)
    Wait, what? When did Gudda diss Wayne?

84. Chief Ali Says:

Els Says:

My Chick Bad gets way too many plays

How the hell is that a good song

——————

Luda backpedalled with that whole album…Fuck you drop some contemplatitve shit like ‘Theatre of the Mind’ then revert back to the same steez you debuted with this latest joint

85. b-ease Says:

Not if they look and feel real.

86. Leonard Washington aka the Silky Johnson of Nah Right=HATE! HATE! HATE! Says:

Harlem World Says:

April 13th, 2010 at 12:40 pm
    previously on The Degrassi Show:

Drake phones prison buddies C-Murder, Turk

Talks to ex Hot Boy B.G over the phone

Tells us he rolls with real street dudes like Mr 17.5 and Officer Roberts

Tells the world he is a singer
    ^^^^LOFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

87. 007 Says:

Mook
    I dont think they lose point if it aint YOUR girl.
    If thats you wifey you lose points nigs dont want fake bitches. But you could knock a fake joint off all day.

But you do gotta look at a girl who got fake shit a certain kinda way, how fcked up are you??? Low self esteem.

So ill say yes

88. Harlem World Says:

He even says it twice for you slow motherfuckers out there..

89. TheCo!!inB Says:

The beat for Ross and John Legend’s new song “Sweet Life” sounds like Ross went back to 1988 in an Audemars time machine and stole one of Luther Vandross’ beat tapes.

90. Rick aka KING OF DA BOOM BAP BOMB STRAPPED TO MY CHEST ASKIN WHERE YA GOONZ AT Says:

AmpGeez a.k.a. Smoke Greene Says:

April 13th, 2010 at 12:36 pm
    also kweli has some joints. never been in love >>>>
    ==================================
    But he’s so geeky, he turns bitches off.

Just kilt that beat tho.

—————————

he was just the dude for that beat imo.

91. zman Says:

Drake needs to let his kanye ego go.
    feeling himself way 2 much (no homo etc). Cant even listen to his shit anymore.

92. PsicoMagia Says:

b-ease Says:

April 13th, 2010 at 12:18 pm
    how did you end up linking with brooklyn college radio?

^^^^^
    i got that performance footage too.. got some p.so and fresh footage in there too.

93. Leonard Washington aka the Silky Johnson of Nah Right=HATE! HATE! HATE! Says:

REAL DONK all day

94. b-ease Says:

Word up, I’m def trying to peep when you get a chance dude. *daps*

95. G7 Says:

>>j. cole’s drop is going to be bigger than drake’s. quote me on this in like 6 months.

====
    tough call. Wale’s album got zero push from Roc Nation. did that album even have a video(outside a blog)? cole’s album most likely will be better though which is what really counts.

96. hl Says:

^This…Theater of the Mind was a dope album/concept.

97. KUTTA (Oxy 80's Baby) Says:

I’ve been out having 3 somes with coked out white bitches while ya’ll been in here doing the same old shit.

DMV STAMP.

98. b-ease Says:

j. cole’s drop is going to be bigger than drake’s

Delusional.

99. Harlem World Says:

If XXL classes itself as a respected hip hop magazine, the reader needs to know that the journalist isn’t dickriding the artist i.e Kim Osorio style

All it says is XXL staff..sheeeit..could be Drake writing it himself.

100. D_Block_4_Life Says:

Bun B is garbage, sorry to break the news to everyone.

There’s no reason to listen to bun b without the pimp,
    He killed this.

nahright.com/news/2010/03/31/slaughterhouse-royce-da-59-crooked-i-feat-bun-b-nobody-fuckin-with-us/#comments

101. Rick aka KING OF DA BOOM BAP BOMB STRAPPED TO MY CHEST ASKIN WHERE YA GOONZ AT Says:

i don’t know if i know any bitches with a fake ass. then again i ain’t try to know that many skeezers.

drake let the fame go to his head. i hope j. cole goes in on that man (||)

102. G7 Says:

zman Says:

April 13th, 2010 at 12:44 pm
    Drake needs to let his kanye ego go.
    feeling himself way 2 much (no homo etc). Cant even listen to his shit anymore

====
    he used to be a humble kid from Toronto. he hasn’t even made any major dough yet and he’s already changed. imagine when he starts seeing some real money.

103. D_Block_4_Life Says:

you notice how he slightly snarls while his spits too?

thats sooo G.
    Roffle

104. Beezy Says:

Draped Up and Dripped Out is an OG Classic.

know how I tal’m bout?

105. hl Says:

He had two that I remember were both jam of the week on MTV2. He also had features from Lady Gaga & Gucci. Plus he was performing at a few of the big award shows. Wale had alot of support behind him for a new artist IMO.

106. AmpGeez a.k.a. Smoke Greene Says:

also kweli has some joints. never been in love >>>>
    ==================================
    But he’s so geeky, he turns bitches off.

Just kilt that beat tho.

—————————

he was just the dude for that beat imo.
    ================================
    Freeway woulda bodied it.

107. KzA Says:

haha damn… So Far Gone could actually wind up being the worst thing that ever happened to Drake in a crazy way….

Think about it. Drake put out a few mixtapes prior to SFG just rapping and had mediocre success. He went for something completely unconventional and outside the box with SFG, and it was a wild success. I feel like SFG has gassed him up to a point where he feels that he can try mostly anything and be wildly successful.

What if he goes too far? On his debut album no less…

Has he really done enough yet to start getting super outside-of-the-box creative as an artist?

108. Troyvul Says:

i ain’t try to know that many skeezers.
    nahggers be gay for real

109. b-ease Says:

then again i ain’t try to know that many skeezers.

*blank/black stare combo*

110. KzA Says:

yo whoever said Bun B is garbage should fucking eat an aids dick covered in fire ants.

111. Beezy Says:

Drake’s album already can’t be a classic…because of that horrendous song with The Dream.

Not that I’m expecting classic…but we should prob all tamp down our expectations just a bit.

112. G7 Says:

>>Wale had alot of support behind him for a new artist IMO.

^actually you’re right. but his album was so weak that i totally put him out of my subconscience.

113. PsicoMagia Says:

Word up, I’m def trying to peep when you get a chance dude. *daps*

the latest by this weekend.. got mad other shyt to edit…but for yah vids..im just gonna upload whole performance as is .. …..

114. 007 Says:

Most def
    Wale=Who? come next yr

115. Rick aka KING OF DA BOOM BAP BOMB STRAPPED TO MY CHEST ASKIN WHERE YA GOONZ AT Says:

G7 Says:

April 13th, 2010 at 12:47 pm
    zman Says:

April 13th, 2010 at 12:44 pm
    Drake needs to let his kanye ego go.
    feeling himself way 2 much (no homo etc). Cant even listen to his shit anymore

====

———-

i said this yesterday, but comeback season and room for improvement >>>>>>

AmpGeez a.k.a. Smoke Greene Says:

April 13th, 2010 at 12:49 pm
    also kweli has some joints. never been in love >>>>
    ==================================
    But he’s so geeky, he turns bitches off.

Just kilt that beat tho.

—————————

he was just the dude for that beat imo.
    ================================
    Freeway woulda bodied it.

——–

philly freezer now > philly freezer then

116. PsicoMagia Says:

its too late the bars already set ..media hype.. everybody expectin greatness.. think it will be ok.. and bytches gona cop out..think he can do 250-300k first week…

117. Mook Says:

If Usher can release the worst singles and still do 329,000 first week then Drake doing double that because of the hype. Usher CD wasn’t hyped but it had some expectations because it’s Usher.

118. Rome Says:

Ayo b-ease is the dude that spit over the Exhibit C beat right?…If it is, man you a talented dude I still got that shit on my Jay Elec playlist

hi guys.

b-ease is really menacing when he spits. I’d be scared if I didnt know he was a clever blogger.

121. Wakher Flocko COIS Says:

street cred is one thing. coming from nick at night is another. … and being on some boy band rnb shit and also rapping is in and of itself another thing…but not hip-hop.

122. Nah Right » Drake Still Cares Says: