Video: Too $hort Talks “Bonita Applebum”

In this clip from his upcoming A Tribe Called Quest documentary, Michael Rappaport speaks with Too $hort about the classic “Bonita Applebum”. $hort explains how to him the song represented the different approach that a New York dude might take while trying to bag a chick as opposed to the Oakland method.

Previously: Ludacris on the Influence of A Tribe Called Quest

39 Responses to “Video: Too $hort Talks “Bonita Applebum””

1. Tong Po Flo Says:

@KzA

If you can’t understand J. Cole’s metaphors, you really need to listen a bit more closely (or give up on writing about rap). None of his metaphors are “ungainly and nebulous” as you describe, most of them are straightforward. His song “Lights Please” is as well written as anything in Freddie Gibbs’ catalog, who you unrelentingly champion. Judging by your lukewarm superlative-free description of the music of J. Cole and Fashawn (who write about everyday experiences that can apply to people worldwide) and your longtime enthusiastic championing of Freddie Gibbs (whose criminal tales represent an aberration in the black experience, signifying for the tiny minority of violent criminals in a handful of American urban centers), I wonder what your idea of the reality of black life could be in order to describe the aberration (Gibbs) as “reality rap” and the description of ordinary black life (Cole) as being composed of “nebulous” metaphors. Patently ridiculous and subtly insidious. Using a sports metaphor to describe Gibbs’ ability as an emcee doesn’t help you navigate the racial minefield you unwittingly walked in, either.

Posted by: spirit equality | March 21, 2010 at 07:37 AM

2. Fresh Huxtable Says:

State Trooper, having just pulled over a purple Chrysler 300: “License and registration please.”

(dirty looking guy hands over the credentials. Somehow, he looks poor even with blunt on$.

Trooper: “Young Handsome? What kind of name is that? You know false ID to an officer is illegal, son?”

YH: “on my mama, on my hood that’s my name.”

Trooper: “I should arrest you for driving a purple car with a pink fur interior.”

YH: “it’s not mine. It’s Jimmy’s. And Cam’s. They share it.”

Trooper: “hey, your famous, aren’t you?”

Young Handsome, cheesing: “Why yes, officer. I–”

Trooper: ” wait, don’t tell me. You one of those designers from Trading Spaces? Or on that show where you help people learn how to dress? Or brighten up their homes with a splash of color? Or one of those judges from Americas Next Top Model? Or…”

Young Handsome: “Nah, nah. I ain’t none of that soft stuff. I’m a rapper.”

Trooper: “I don’t believe you, you need more people. Okay, what songs do you have, or albums?”

YH: “I don’t have any albums, but I rap with Jim Jones.”

Trooper, suspiciously: “no albums, but you rap with an established rapper. Hmm get out the car. I’m searching you.(reaches in YH’s pocket, removes blunt) Yup, just as I suspected: a weed carrier. Young Handsome, you’re under arrest.

YH: “come on, man.”

Trooper: Dont worry. They like guys like you in jail. Last rapper I locked up is extremely popular.

YH: who that?

Trooper: a guy named Maximillian Branford. Max B for short. They like his wavy hair.

YH: Noooooooooooo!
    ****
    YH wakes up in his own bed. It was all a nightmare. He promptly changes his rap name to Untitled.

No shots, just jokes.

3. StandOut FT Says:

Well said !

4. TheCo!!inB Says:

At the risk of being verbally insulted and threatened with saliva, eskay, someone spiced your bowl down at SXSW fam? Nah right?

5. Harlem World Says:

*Drakes it up*
    *Gets kidnapped by mexican cartels*
    *sings duet in spanish to avoid death*
    *is released*

6. dafirestarta Says:

^ is spiced your bowl really an expression..if so: ayo

7. AmpGeez a.k.a. Smoke Greene Says:

If you told me Yung Berg yoked Eskay up while Charles Hamilton went in his pockets, I’d believe you.

So you know I’m buying every bit of this story lol.

8. hl Says:

ROLF

9. AmpGeez a.k.a. Smoke Greene Says:

is spiced your bowl really an expression
    =============================
    Amongst chefs & homosexuals

10. A tribe called quest aka No Draws unda Im Big Brotha Thunda Says:

–lmaooooooooooo

11. Beezy Says:

I heard Diggy ran eskay’s chain

12. "A" Chick Le Fleur - I Got My Billions UP Says:

Where the hell is Land? He should be here for this.

13. SuperCommenter BK Strong Says:

TheCo!!inB Says:

March 22nd, 2010 at 3:43 pm
    ========================================
    Eskay didnt get roughed up.

14. dafirestarta Says:

# AmpGeez a.k.a. Smoke Greene Says:
    March 22nd, 2010 at 3:45 pm

So you know I’m buying every bit of this story lol.

you’d have to see some sonic rings flying in the air first though

15. LaneKiffin*CainSniffin*LaneSwitchin* Says:

J Cole is dope. What he gotta do backflips at the live show 4 yall niggas 2 feel him? (II) Oh no yall would rather see Drake do his best Kanye/Jay-z impersonations and borderline homo hand movements. At least J Cole aint trippin over invisible shell toes and tearing his ACL live on stage. smh

16. Harlem World Says:

Gambling and losing plenty chips > Losing a fair one to Freddie Gibbs

17. A tribe called quest aka No Draws unda Im Big Brotha Thunda Says:

is spiced your bowl really an expression
    =============================
    Amongst chefs & homosexuals

–Its the greatest Virginia import. Dont listen to this pole smoker

18. hl Says:

Why were niggas smoking in the bathroom?

19. TheCo!!inB Says:

How is getting your bowl spiced an ayo. Walk me through that.

20. the-xfacta Says:

A tribe called quest aka No Draws unda Im Big Brotha Thunda Says:

March 22nd, 2010 at 3:46 pm

–lmaooooooooooo

Oh Shit!!

21. AmpGeez a.k.a. Smoke Greene Says:

How is getting your bowl spiced an ayo. Walk me through that.
    =======================================
    SHit just don’t sound right.

Spiced is type suspect.

22. dafirestarta Says:

How is getting your bowl spiced an ayo. Walk me through that.

If you don’t get it I cant help u. Wasn’t taking really going at u though, just the expression. (pause)

23. Harlem World Says:

“Cuando mi gota del álbum, perras lo comprará para el cuadro

Y los niggas la comprarán también y demandar los la consiguieron para ellos hermana”

24. dafirestarta Says:

typing fail…wasn’t really*

25. hl Says:

Anyone read any good books lately?

26. dafirestarta Says:

Harlem World Says:
    March 22nd, 2010 at 3:51 pm

“Cuando mi gota del álbum, perras lo comprará para el cuadro

*deaddddddddddddddddd* @ spanish Drake. Prolly got the Freddy Krueger tee in red green and white too

27. reggaetonslasher Says:

Spiced is type suspect.

^ true. spice= seasoned=flavor=flair=fag shit.

28. A tribe called quest aka No Draws unda Im Big Brotha Thunda Says:

no one was taking it as a gay euphemism till ya’ll said it. proves where your minds at

29. Fresh Huxtable Says:

Hl
    0 mins ago
    Anyone read any good books lately?

if you’re serious, I highly recommend (JadaKiss adlib chrkdjchaaaaaa!) Marvin and The Man

also, The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo
    and for nonfiction, Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell

30. Tong Po Flo Says:

Anyone read any good books lately?

^ I have been on the sci-fi tip lately read the dark tower by Stephen King, it was kinda good

31. AmpGeez a.k.a. Smoke Greene Says:

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
    =====================
    I still wanna read this.

Or maybe I’ll luck up and find an audiobook torrent.

I’m reading/listening to How To Win Friends And Influence People right now.

32. dafirestarta Says:

some jokes write themselves

33. AmpGeez a.k.a. Smoke Greene Says:

And I just read the Diary Of A Wimpy Kid series.

I got it for my daughter but I scanned it to make sure it was cool and the shit had me laughing out loud.

Movie was cool too.

34. dafirestarta Says:

# A tribe called quest aka No Draws unda Im Big Brotha Thunda Says:
    March 22nd, 2010 at 3:55 pm

yeah my mind’s on money and staying away from fags that want to “spice a bowl” (n)

35. SuperCommenter BK Strong Says:

AmpGeez a.k.a. Smoke Greene Says:

March 22nd, 2010 at 3:58 pm
    Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
    =====================
    I still wanna read this.

Or maybe I’ll luck up and find an audiobook torrent.

I’m reading/listening to How To Win Friends And Influence People right now.
    ===============================
    lol

36. AmpGeez a.k.a. Smoke Greene Says:

I’m reading/listening to How To Win Friends And Influence People right now.
    ===============================================
    Anything that helps me get people to do what I want them to do is a must read.

37. SuperCommenter BK Strong Says:

You could win alot of friends if you didnt tell them to Take Your Mask Off B! lol One of the homies was out in Houston and was hanging Freddie Gibbs I dont think Eskay got roughed up but he’ll let me know.

38. SuperCommenter BK Strong Says:

hanging with

39. Nah Right » Video: Beats, Rhymes and Fights: The Travels of A Tribe Called Quest (Documentary Trailer) Says:

[...] Previously: Too $hort Talks “Bonita Applebum” [...]