Audio: J. Cole Interview w/ Angie Martinez

Part 1 – J.Cole talks about his first time coming to NY, the Rihanna rumors and rumors of him being dropped from Roc Nation.

Part 2 – J.Cole talks about how proud he is to represent Roc Nation, how he felt about the Lil Wayne and Jay-Z beef and Drake tweeting his support of his album.

Part 3 – J.Cole talks about other famous people from his hometown, where he will be in 4 years, his GQ Magazine spread, having a girlfriend and dealing with all the rumors.

Hit the jump for J.Cole’s interview with KarmaloopTV where he speaks on being a control freak – from to doing his own production and to eventually directing his own videos. He also shares his aspiration to be a production mogul akin to Timbaland, and why he thinks he’s already competing in the same league as Jay-Z and Kanye West.

97 Responses to “Audio: J. Cole Interview w/ Angie Martinez”

1. Captain Planet Says:

Yo why is Lil Cease looking like a mini Hulk Hogan @ the new video on WSHH ?

Him and Prodigy ?

Old New York Rappers just found P90x and shit

2. A chick Says:

This album is a CLASSIC!

3. NovemberEnd Says:

laugh was vulgar, canvas paintings of the isatollah

4. NovemberEnd Says:

This album is a CLASSIC!
    Here we go

5. A chick Says:

Im killing this joint in the whip!! Might go cop another on GP. I hope he does an album signing when he’s in Atlanta next week.

6. Troubleshooter1900 Says:

COLE WOLRD!!!!!!

TODAY IS HIS-STORY!!!!!

The day is today folks.

Enjoy.

7. Troubleshooter1900 Says:

NovemberEnd
    4 mins ago
    This album is a CLASSIC!
    Here we go

^Nah, we here already.

This shit is indeed classic b.

8. ChainHeavy Says:

I you’re going to call an album a classic debut,you have to compare it to other classic debuts.Cole World is in no way fucking with Reasonable Doubt,College Dropout,Illmatic,Enter The 36 Chambers…I could go on.That said it’s a good album.I’m copping 2 with an iTunes gift card I got.But cmon.

9. Charles Oakley Says:

<<<<<<< Joe budden

10. 007 Says:

COLE WOLRD!!!!!!

TODAY IS HIS-STORY!!!!!

The day is today folks.

Enjoy

11. 007 Says:

They’re top of the line flat screen TVs and right now, inmates at the Allegheny County Jail are likely watching them. The County Jail Oversight Board recently approved the purchase of 40 Sony Bravia televisions for viewing in the jail common areas. If a judge sentenced you to the Allegheny County Jail, you’d be provided three hot meals and a bed to sleep in, but in common areas, you’d also be able to watch cable shows on 42-inch Sony flat screens. The County Jail Oversight Board recently approved the purchase of 40 sets for $16,000 or $395 a piece. “If our families in Allegheny County can’t afford 42-inch Sony Bravia TVs, the prisoners certainly shouldn’t be able to be watching them in jail,” he said.

^I know more niggas in here than you can imagine….sad

12. BEZ Says:

I hope the kid does his #’s.

On another note, will someone tell the Hip Hop powers that be that I AM fed up with promises of songs/albums/projects coming out with a day, date, time attached to it, but nothing EVER materializes. It’s insulting to people who do support the culture by going to shows, purchasing music, giving their websites traffic, being a part-time promoter by spreading word of mouth positive reviews and what-not about artist X. I don’t presently know how, but it’s time that those that do all the aforementioned use our voices to express how dissatisfied we are with these gimmicks that seem to always get pulled and maybe, just maybe this b.s. will stop!

P.S. What the f__k is a snippet gone do for me? Snippets are STUPID!!!!

13. Troubleshooter1900 Says:

Stfu hizzas (hatin ass negroes)

Cole >>>>>>

14. 007 Says:

Cole >>>>>>

^Zzzzzzzzzzz(c)Kev

15. A chick Says:

This album is actually better than what I expected. The production is incredible, the substance is there and I’m enjoying it more than WTT.

And for the first time, I’m thinking Cole World could trump Take Care. Becuz Cole’s verses makes my boy Drake seem narcissistic.

16. NovemberEnd Says:

I used to think Cole was nice, but hearing all those lazy bars … that people would crucify Aubrey for saying. I don’t know maybe I overestimated son.

Beats were mad generic, and those depressing ass songs

Smh

Warm Up >>>>> CWSS

17. Brolic Fonts Says:

swag

18. jderrida Says:

Please go on

They ain’t hear you brah

19. A chick Says:

Standout tracks–>

“Sideline Story”
    “Nobody’s Perfect”
    “Never Told”
    “Rise and Shine” –one of the best beats on the album
    “God’s Gift” –don’t know why he wanted Jay on this one
    “Mr. Nice Watch” — I like Hov’s verse a lot and the dubstep

20. Brolic Fonts Says:

42-inch Sony flat screens

^*watches TV with the big back* (c) Ransom

21. Brolic Fonts Says:

A chick Says:

^damn, Cole, up this chick’s marketing fees, lol

22. Brolic Fonts Says:

crucify Aubrey

^that worldstar video of MTV cribs canada or whatever was comedy. The nigga aubrey is jewish for real, for real

23. Brolic Fonts Says:

anyone check that Mr MFing squire mixtape? heard a couple of songs I was impressed with. 90s street cosign swag. Erick Sermon 2020

24. Brolic Fonts Says:

*talks to self*

25. Brolic Fonts Says:

*dips out*

26. Brolic Fonts Says:

Zzzzzzzzzzz(c)Kev

^R.I.P. unfortunately it appears the nigga was inevitable bodied

27. Brolic Fonts Says:

*dips out for real*

28. 911 Says:

I’m a bumblebee light up like a chrismas tree..
    #juicyjgems

29. Troubleshooter1900 Says:

Double 0,

I bet Cole sells more than currency.

30. 911 Says:

Black and yellow, showed me how far one mega hit song can propel you.

31. Troubleshooter1900 Says:

Currency sounds like that kid that’s 20 still in HS with “big dreams” of graduating and obtaining is diploma.

I aint mad at him, I just dont fuck with him.

Cole is the nigga he aspires to be.

32. 911 Says:

Troubleshooter1900
    1 min ago
    Double 0,

I bet Cole sells more than currency.
    ______________________________
    hahahahahaha. Doubles down on bet.
    Jcole > currensy. By a lot.

33. A chick Says:

@Ts

What’s your favorite tracks from the album?

34. 911 Says:

Nothing last forever and Lost ones are really dope songs. Shocked the shit out of me.

35. jderrida Says:

I bet Cole sells more than currency.

Proxy War between Young Money and Roc-Nation

C4 outsold WTT so CW has to sell a millie

Jay can’t afford to take the loss

Curren$y >>> Cole

36. 911 Says:

Got a 150 bitches in the club staring at me, how that feel? Very happy.

Next verse Rick Ross adlibs… Wooooh

37. A chick Says:

911 Says:
    September 27th, 2011 at 8:44 pm
    Nothing last forever
    ——————-
    Never heard this, itunes bonus track??

*googles*

38. 911 Says:

*awaits nas album*

That shit right there.

Can’t. Wait.

39. Tron Stockton Says:

^Nah, we here already.

This shit is indeed classic b.

y’all. Need. To. Chill.

A classic can only be determined after time. Time allows you to look back and see how the album has aged.. How does it hold up after 5 years ? 10 ? How did it impact the culture?

No matter how good an album is, no one can claim it as a classic the day it drops.

Unless your just blindly and irresponsibly stanning. And if that’s the case, carry on.

40. RIGZ Says:

# A chick Says:
    September 27th, 2011 at 6:47 pm

This album is a CLASSIC!

SMH.

You baely taken the plastic off the case & read the Thank You notes after 24 hours.

Chill.

41. RIGZ Says:

barely > baely tho

42. RIGZ Says:

One Of The Realest Interviews EVER:

youtu.be/lqN3amj6AcE

43. 911 Says:

I can’t front, I didn’t expect it to be this well rounded. Somber album, full of reflection. He’s more nas than jay, that’s for sure. Songs aren’t talking about fashion and trends, so it’ll prolly still sound ok a few years from now.

44. Troubleshooter1900 Says:

A Chick
    9 mins ago
    @Ts

What’s your favorite tracks from the album?

^Rise and shine
    Sideline story
    God’s Gift

I mean.. MY GOD!! them shits really really speak to me.

Cole dropped a classic..

*rubs all the nah Sayers face in it*

STOP THE HATE!!

Cole is gonna be a legend of he keeps this up.

45. Jersey*made*me Says:

My baby A Chick been on Snapfinger sippin that LEAN,smh…….

All types of reckless statements and praise,LOL

46. A chick Says:

RIGZ Says:
    September 27th, 2011 at 8:52 pm
    # A chick Says:
    September 27th, 2011 at 6:47 pm

This album is a CLASSIC!

SMH.

Chill.
    ——————-
    LOL!

Well am I allowed to say it’s a GOOD FUCKING ALBUM that you don’t have to skip thru?

47. 911 Says:

Drop the iPhone 5 dammit!

48. RIGZ Says:

Yeah, its best you say that. Its just a good fucking album lol. Aint nothing wrong with that…

Its like something simply being “good” isnt good enuff anymore

Its either Classic ! or Wack ! (exclamation points included)

49. RIGZ Says:

You cant judge an album correctly or objectively when you’re still in the excitement / hype of the album’s release.

Sit with it for a sec.

50. RIGZ Says:

No preacher flow.

51. Tron Stockton Says:

*awaits nas album*

That shit right there.

Can’t. Wait.

this tho..

think about Nas last few verses..

nasty
    dog shit
    ghetto dreams
    carter 4 outro

nas is on a roll.. i have high hopes for this album

52. A chick Says:

911 Says:
    September 27th, 2011 at 8:54 pm
    ——————
    Exactly!

It exceeded my expectations. I got real scared after Workout and some of those any given Sunday joints. Plus his hooks were mad rough on the leaks I was hearing, started to think he was fizzling out.

Bought the album, listened 3 times and I hear so much growth since TWU, I can’t believe Cole is behind the production on most of these sounds, there’s uptempo tracks, overall it’s really deserving of praise.

So fidduck whateva a hater got to say on COLE DAY. I’m all the way stanned up!

53. A chick Says:

Still LMAO at whoever said the internet would shut down if NAS & Jay Elec did a WTT.

I like Jay Elec a lot but I don’t want to waste time getting into an artist who well may never drop an album or tour.

54. Danny Ocean Says:

This album is a CLASSIC!

You spelled PERSONAL FAVORITE wrong

55. Troubleshooter1900 Says:

Cole >>>>>>>>

Say somethin niggas!!!

We celebrating minor victories over here b. Y’all said the album wasn’t droppin…. Now what? Its only gonna sell 10k copies?

Next week I’m rubbing the numbers in yall’s faces.

56. A chick Says:

oh what it do Jerz!

I see u crossed over to the other side. It’s all good tho.

Cole >>> CyHi

57. Jersey*made*me Says:

Its like something simply being “good” isnt good enuff anymore

Its either Classic ! or Wack ! (exclamation points included)

THIS

Niggas on Nah have this problem,smh.

CyHi for instance,they shitted on him on So Appalled cuz he was a stranger and he went in on that joint.

He dropped 2-3 sick mixtaps since then and niggas KNOW he the truth but they cant bring themselves to admit it publicly,so they nitpick about his voice or some other dumb shit. He damn sure aint wack,so nahggers are tongue tied about him…

58. jderrida Says:

No one man can rap an album so well that an objective well listened critic would enjoy it from the top to bottom

Except Nas…

59. RIGZ Says:

BBC Speechless As Trader Tells Truth: “The Collapse Is Coming…And Goldman Rules The World”

youtu.be/lqN3amj6AcE

This interview tho…its funny, but not funny at the same time

60. A chick Says:

Next week I’m rubbing the numbers in yall’s faces.
    ———————————
    Yo Angie kept sayin that he could have the number one album in the country. If that happens, BEEZY better not show his face on Nah. I swear, I won’t let that negro live if he does lololol.

Blink182 might get in the way of that tho, just to keep it 100.

61. RIGZ Says:

jderrida Says:
    September 27th, 2011 at 9:07 pm

What the hell you talkin about ?

62. Jersey*made*me Says:

@A

Nah,I would never cross over,I still like Cole for the same reason I liked him before,he’s honest. I just like a little more boom bap production wise and I think his album is good overall.

But as far as CyHi vs Cole,Cole aint got enough wit to win that battle.

Them the only two new rappers I fux with though…

63. Danny Ocean Says:

that honor would go to Phonte’s Charity Starts At Home

64. 911 Says:

jerz, his 1st problem is he has a stupid ass name. Secondly, why am I supposed to care about this prince? no homo. Lastly, some people just don’t get checked for, dude is like a lost in the shuffle rapper. tell him keep grinding though. talent always shines.

65. Danny Ocean Says:

all that humble, modest, considerate, Victor Ortiz shit…we off that

Ray J and Floyd tried to tell you niggas

66. Jersey*made*me Says:

@RIGZ

Download that Jack Of All Trades mixtape if you havent already. I know you STAY looking for some new heat….

67. 911 Says:

niggas who can rap and have there wits about themselves, always find a way to catch a spark. the people find them. never fails.

68. 911 Says:

oh and niggas need hits, fact.

69. Jersey*made*me Says:

@911,the bars dont lie. Homie next up,specially off Kanye production….

youtube.com/watch?v=LPsJUTtOtRA

70. 911 Says:

he can rap, but alotta niggas can.. songs b. freestyle was aight though.

that youtube rigz posted >

shit might be a fake though, which sucks.

71. 911 Says:

who was pusha t dissing in that money can buy freestyle, confirmed aubrey?

72. RIGZ Says:

@Jerz, yea, I was streaming it, it sounds fire I always fucked with Cyhi, ima download it

73. RIGZ Says:

All this “Guess the subliminal rap” is wack, overused & ruining rap. No accountability rap. Stannibal Mr Fantastic “Im gonna reach to make it a diss record” rap

These bredahs got the girly mouths, running up their mouth bills then denying they said anything about “anyone in particular”

That shit aint wavy. That shit aint even Manly, hiphop aside.

SMH

74. 911 Says:

RIGZ Says:
    September 27th, 2011 at 9:46 pm

_____________________________________________
    GOLD STAR.

75. RIGZ Says:

that youtube rigz posted >

shit might be a fake though, which sucks.

Shit was on the news out here b.

Its just ill that he was on TV saying that shit…whether it takes place or not. He was honest.

Bankers dont play that exposing shit tho…he better Proteck his neck..

76. RIGZ Says:

Im out tho, you lot be easy.

Bless.

77. 911 Says:

peace homie

78. 911 Says:

jadakiss a millie freestyle >>>>>>>>>>>>

he blacked out.

79. Mel Kiper III Says:

Lift off >

80. 911 Says:

kanye & jayz joint? nah..

*goes to zerohodge, to speak of conspiracies*

81. 911 Says:

pardon me zerohedge.. for the lurkers.

82. Mel Kiper III Says:

Negus was hating(myself included) but that shit jammin

Starts off kinda slow and progressively gets better as the song goes on

FACT

83. G7 Says:

A chick Says:
    September 27th, 2011 at 6:47 pm
    This album is a CLASSIC!

=====
    LMFBAO!!!

84. 911 Says:

“There are no such things as lies in a political world, as it implies something was said. Instead, if you look closely, you’ll notice nothing but meaningless phrases which are used to make implications, which are then used within the mind of the listener to create the idea that the speaker actually said something.
    But they didn’t. It was all imagined.”

zerohedge might be my new favorite site..

85. 911 Says:

why is there a new version of firefox every week? seriously.

a new update to itunes, adobe, fuck it you name it something needs a fucking update. fuck off.

86. G7 Says:

>>J. Cole ain’t even have the best album to come out of the state of North Carolina this week.

that honor would go to Phonte’s Charity Starts At Home

^that

87. 911 Says:

you know shit bad when there’s a riot in a different country all year round..

strange times.

88. Deen Says:

Why the fuck would you label an album ‘classic’ on the day it drops? That’s just stupid. That’s why people start saying snarking shit to fuck with you, then you label them ‘haters’ and the cycle repeats itself.

Let that bitch breathe a bit.

Excellent album though.

89. Deen Says:

…and a subliminal diss isn’t a subliminal if we all know who the nigga is dissing.

Pusha T was clearly throwing shots at the beige nigga. That beat belongs to him now – the best thing that’s come of his solo career thus far. He murked it. The wordplay, delivery, mini-hook, lyrical density… man, that shit was great.

90. Troubleshooter1900 Says:

Today Rwally feels good.

Cole album dropped. I’m happy for the man.

*Daps J.Cole*

91. Casket Face Says:

what’s good fams?

92. Shooter Says:

Word

I’m pretty sure Drakes a big Clipse fan too, ha

93. Troubleshooter1900 Says:

*kev walks out*

*in walks a living, breathing casket*

What’s good family?

94. Samir Says:

“I love the Clipse. That’s why initially I was like, ‘Man, I wanna go out with them.’ Huge Clipse fan my whole life.”

95. Casket Face Says:

@shooter

just living fam, finally at a place where im happy (nh)
    what’s good with errbody?

96. gramMasta Says:

# A chick Says:
    September 27th, 2011 at 6:47 pm

This album is a CLASSIC!

^ already spoke on this stupid ass shiet

no shot @ the chick

niggas look STUPID tryna redefine classic as some microwave instant they like

NIGGA JUSS SAY YOU LIKE IT A LOT

nh

* weedsmoke *

97. gramMasta Says:

* coughs *

yo that weedsmoke was classic b