Video: Prodigy’s Book Signing w/ Toure

P sits down for an interview with Toure at Powerhouse Books in Brooklyn for his My Infamous Life book signing event. They touch on a number of subjects including his battle with sickle cell, his family’s show business history and how prison has changed how he approaches life. They also touch on the various revelations about other rappers in the book, most specifically Nas and Jay-Z.

Previously: Prodigy – The Ellsworth Bumpy Johnson EP

86 Responses to “Video: Prodigy’s Book Signing w/ Toure”

1. Deen Says:

I think the big problem with recognizing classics in the last decade or so is basically the lack of consensus. We all seem to find more reasons to disagree about shit as the years go by (and the music gets better).

We should nominate candidates for classic status from the last 7-8 years. I’ll start with Prodigy/Alchemist – Return of the Mack.

2. RNC Chairman Michael Steele Says:

RE Modern Hip hop:

The internet and other new technology has done two things that distort everyone’s views.

1) Shitty artists are a lot more recognizable these days, whereas before they wouldn’t have gotten noticed. This is the same with people watching a video on the internet or reading something people say online and saying people are getting dumber. No it’s just dumb people now have the same outlet as exceptional people.

2) We can honestly consume more music than ever now. More people have some kind of device that plays music that can fit in their pocket. People listen to more music than ever now. So for all of the new music out, it’s also gotten easier to keep up.

Rap in the Mid-00s was far more formulaic, predictable, and shitty than the late 00s.

3. Camelot Says:

*is now listening to…Araabmusik*

Cam’ron & Vado – “American Greed” >>>>

4. el feces loco Says:

Someone needs to invent a new sound.

I think that someone is $WonDough$

I think they will name it Garble Music…just a whole bunch of chaos on wax(mp3)

5. JihaD Says:

Deen Says:
    April 21st, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I think people are more willing to call something a classic without taking time to actually listen to it properly, which is why you get these huge disagreements. You have people making immediate declarations on albums that are simply mediocre or have obvious flaws.

Like, someone said Kanye had “4-5 classics”. SMH.

Seriously?

6. tHe kiD fRanKiE Says:

Curren$y is the most consistent artist this
    decade-FACT
    (Minus the weezys/kanyes upper echelon)
    Dude is crankin out dope shit monthly.
    Open you eyes-Pusha

7. gSeven Says:

>>Curren$y is the most consistent artist this decade-FACT

^he’s got a great ear for beats, but he puts me to sleep sometimes (n). i don’t smoke so maybe i have trouble relating to a lot of his shit.

8. el feces loco Says:

*is now listening to…Araabmusik*

Cam’ron & Vado – “American Greed” >>>>

Good choice

i luv u
    freestyle
    breathe

gunnz n butta >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

9. JihaD Says:

tHe kiD fRanKiE Says:
    April 21st, 2011 at 12:27 pm
    Curren$y is the most consistent artist this
    decade-FACT
    (Minus the weezys/kanyes upper echelon)
    Dude is crankin out dope shit monthly.
    Open you eyes-Pusha

Consistent at what?

10. tHe kiD fRanKiE Says:

Prodigy just never did it for me *shrug*
    Of course The Infamous was dope Murda Muzick too
    But overall iont like his rap style shit don’t be rhymin he has a strange style ehh to each is own.
    I ain on da lookout for none of his material.

11. RNC Chairman Michael Steele Says:

Deen Says:
    April 21st, 2011 at 12:25 pm

——————————————————-

I’m pretty sure there is NO album from the past 10 years that is universally recognized as a classic. Even though several worthy albums have been released.

I think it takes time before LPs get unanimous recognition like that, even the ones that have great praise upon release.

But the way the hip hop scene has fragmented [KEY] makes it even harder. Same thing happened to rock.

Can anyone name a hip hop [or rock] LP from the last decade that is accepted by everyone to be a classic? Closest is Blueprint IMO, but not even that is unanimous.

12. London Bloke Says:

gunz n butta >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

this

13. Jackson7 Says:

Like, someone said Kanye had “4-5 classics”. SMH.

Seriously?

————–

LOL…

word… then he named the wrong one as the only classic album he might have

14. RNC Chairman Michael Steele Says:

Flaws don’t prevent albums from being classics anyway. Even Ready to Die has a subpar track on it.

15. gSeven Says:

you look around the net and some people are already calling Covert Coup and Ellsworth Bumpy instant classics. Like, chill for a minute. internet has turned a lot of fans annoying.

16. b Says:

gunz n butta >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

^meh, Its not garbage like some shit we have been subjected to, but its nothing new and fresh.

17. RNC Chairman Michael Steele Says:

Jackson7 Says:
    April 21st, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Like, someone said Kanye had “4-5 classics”. SMH.

Seriously?

————–

LOL…

word… then he named the wrong one as the only classic album he might have
    —————————————–

lol….you guys can use my name- I’m not offended.

I said LR was his best album [and said his first two were his best]….which one do you prefer?

18. E aka Mac with the Cheese Says:

truth

19. Camelot Says:

And don’t sleep on Vado hooks >>>>

No lil radio chants with that nigga. 4 more bars of spitting >>>

I respects and fucks with that.

20. Camelot Says:

GRODT
    Late Registration
    Carter 2
    Come Home With Me
    MadVilliany

22. hl Says:

^Nope. And Blueprint was last decade no?

23. Troubleshooter1900 Says:

tHe kiD fRanKiE Says:
    April 21st, 2011 at 12:27 pm
    Curren$y is the most consistent artist this
    decade-FACT
    (Minus the weezys/kanyes upper echelon)
    Dude is crankin out dope shit monthly.
    Open you eyes-Pusha

Consistent at what?

^free falls from Mt. Everest

24. b-ease Says:

Hl
    16 mins ago
    Rap music from 2008 – 2011 overall is WAY better than 2004 – 2007.

Some of the Realest shit you’ve ever wrote. TI was the “superstar” of that era. That should tell you enough.

25. b Says:

I cant see a black person buying a cam and vado album

26. JihaD Says:

RNC Chairman Michael Steele Says:
    April 21st, 2011 at 12:32 pm

True. One or two flaws is understandable.

But if there are like 4-5 skippable songs? Nah, Bruh Bruh

And nah, you weren’t the only person to say that Kanye has 4-5 classics, so I didn’t want to say you specificially.

But yea, you were kinda wigging out with that one fam.

27. RNC Chairman Michael Steele Says:

JihaD Says:
    April 21st, 2011 at 12:34 pm

From 2001-2011?

Stillmatic
    Blueprint
    Supreme Clientele
    GRODT
    Late Registration
    Carter 2
    Come Home With Me
    MadVilliany

————————————————–

Those albums do NOT have consensus acclaim. They have a lot of people who call them classic [myself for some of them] but not consensus.

GRODT—are we gonna criticize 50 for his shortcomings as an MC or is that only reserved for Kanye?

28. hl Says:

Stillmatic
    GRODT
    Late Registration
    Carter 2
    Come Home With Me
    ————————–

These ones specifically don’t have universal acclaim from anyone who knows of them [yes even LR].

Carter 2 isn’t Waynes top 3 releases of the last decade. Stillmatic isn’t Nas’ best.

And he’s probably the funniest rapper ever but Cam hasn’t released a classic IMO. And I like Purple Haze more. I haven’t really delved into his mixtapes but some even prefer those.

31. JihaD Says:

But your not gonna get EVERYONE to agree on ANYTHING. EVER.

But that doesn’t mean you can’t get MOST people to agree on SOMETHING.

and MOST people would say Blueprint was a classic CD. Supreme Clientele too. Late Registration, too. And quite a few other CDs.

But if your looking for 100% compliance, you may as well dead this conversation now, because their is NO CD everyone can agree on that is a classic.

FACT.

32. tHe kiD fRanKiE Says:

I am trying to refute your stance Jihad but my comments keep dissappearing I ain typin all thayt shit again

33. why? Says:

I think Hip Hop needs more one rapper one producer (maybe two) and very few guest albums. Just stay in the studio for a few months and during that time in the studio avoid the rap sites and focus on the music like it was a debut. During one of those months make a free EP and send it the blogs with 5 to 7 tracks.

Rappers got used to collaborating too much.

34. el feces loco Says:

# b Says:
    April 21st, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I cant see a black person buying a cam and vado album

They aint gon sell…but its good trunk music

Vado got gems..he be going to Jareds

35. Deen Says:

I’m sure you can find critics that didn’t like Thriller or Songs In The Key of life too.

As for rock, I think they’re similarly fragmented, but they’ve yielded a few albums that are generally seen as excellent. For instance:

The Strokes’ Debut
    The White Stripes entire discography gets mad love.
    Wilco – Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.
    The National – Boxer
    Joanne Newsome – The Milk Eyed Mender

I could probably list a bunch more, but I need to get my team lurk on. These kizzas don’t play.

Rap definitely has fewer classics from the same period. Honestly, even Kanye’s albums don’t even hold up that well to me anymore and I liked each one (minus 808s). I have no desire to listen to any of that shit and he’s the most critically acclaimed rapper of the mid to late 2000s.

36. Jackson7 Says:

Late Registration is his best album … i thought you were saying College Dropout was his best… and it wasnt no classic either

37. b Says:

camelot is the only black person who copped that album.camelot black?

38. JihaD Says:

why? Says:
    April 21st, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Rappers got used to collaborating too much.

This doesnt happen anymore because artists get forgotten about in the time between releases.

Literally.

And yes, the collaborations are ridiculous right now. Technology has fucked up chemistry, which is vital to good music.

39. el feces loco Says:

i1.tagstat.com/image03/f/967d/0018053nVpZ.jpg

#DunkNHinds

I need her..wonder if she deal with RN’s?

40. Jackson7 Says:

Slum Village – “Fantastic Vol. 2″…

thats a classic album

41. Deen Says:

But to reiterate:

EVERYONE has NEVER agreed on an album’s classic status.

There will always be dissenters.

Classics just have to hold up to scrutiny over time and draw a mass of defenders if randomly criticized.

42. Jackson7 Says:

Camron – “Come Home With Me” = classic

43. London Bloke Says:

LR is a classic.

44. b-ease Says:

Flaws don’t prevent albums from being classics anyway

I used to try to tell boosie this all the time.

And Blueprint is as universally acknowledged as a classic as any other album with that status.

45. hl Says:

rap music >>>

46. el feces loco Says:

Black Streetboy in sync like Lou Perlman

47. Jackson7 Says:

BluePrint 1
    BluePrint 2

classics

48. Troubleshooter1900 Says:

Stillmatic
    GRODT
    Late Registration
    Carter 2
    Come Home With Me

^ironically, I bought allthese CDs again this year. Well, except for Carter 2. I picked that ul for the first time 3 weeks ago because BSG told me to.

49. JihaD Says:

RNC Chairman Michael Steele Says:
    April 21st, 2011 at 12:39 pm
    Stillmatic
    GRODT
    Late Registration
    Carter 2
    Come Home With Me
    ————————–

Universal doesn’t have to include EVERYONE. If you asked most people which albums were classics, most, if not ALL of the albums I named would come up from MOST people.

Like I said, 100% agreement isn’t going to happen. There are people that don’t like Illmatic, or Ready to Die, or Reasonable Doubt, or The White Album, or Thriller, or Songs in the Key of Life.

That don’t mean them jawns ain’t classic.

FACT.

50. Camelot Says:

From 2001-2011?

Stillmatic
    Blueprint
    Supreme Clientele
    GRODT
    Late Registration
    Carter 2
    Come Home With Me
    MadVilliany

————————————————–

?
    The inclusion of Blueprint & LR are already nullifying your argument.

51. London Bloke Says:

Free At Last is a classic to me.

I understand that it ain’t a classic though.

52. el feces loco Says:

EVERYONE has NEVER agreed on an album’s classic status.

Thriller (c) Quincy jones

53. JDS of the Cobra Kai Dojo Says:

I have never liked an entire Kanye album. not one.

*eats cookie*

54. JihaD Says:

Deen Says:
    April 21st, 2011 at 12:43 pm
    But to reiterate:

EVERYONE has NEVER agreed on an album’s classic status.

There will always be dissenters.

This.

Thanks Deen, I type too fucking much, lol.

55. tHe kiD fRanKiE Says:

Crime Pays= Classic

Lol niggas hated on that album for no reason. Ppl just wanted to see Cam lose. That is actually a pretty solid album. Its 3rd in his Top 3 to me

#CamStan

56. why? Says:

Everything Radiohead in the last decade, Portishead – Third, TV on The Radio – Return to Cookie Mountain, Blu – Below the Heavens, Ye – LR, Madvilliany, BP1 were classics.

oh and what about The Ecstatic?

57. big_seth Says:

hl Says:
    April 21st, 2011 at 12:11 pm
    Rap music from 2008 – 2011 overall is WAY better than 2004 – 2007.

WHOA!

no way.

Be, Finding Forever, CD, Late Registration, Food & Liquor, The Minstrel Show….

nothing released since 08 is fuckin with even that small sampling of great shit. That is just the first 6 that came to mind.

58. Camelot Says:

# b Says:
    April 21st, 2011 at 12:42 pm

camelot is the only black person who copped that album.camelot black?

Dear B,

You’re a fuck nigga.

and I have class @ 1:00, so fire when ready

Bitch

Sincerely,

Cam

59. b Says:

niggas been too collabo friendly.when I hear u nas or etc has a new song the first thing u think is”who he featured on it”?

60. big_seth Says:

Madvillain dropped in 05 too.

sorry hl, i HIGHLY disagree.

61. JihaD Says:

Camelot Says:
    April 21st, 2011 at 12:46 pm
    From 2001-2011?

Stillmatic
    Blueprint
    Supreme Clientele
    GRODT
    Late Registration
    Carter 2
    Come Home With Me
    MadVilliany

————————————————–

?
    The inclusion of Blueprint & LR are already nullifying your argument.

I don’t understand what your saying, fam.

62. tHe kiD fRanKiE Says:

I type too fucking much, lol.

^c BEEN c”d

63. RNC Chairman Michael Steele Says:

@Deen: I agree with you on most of those rock albums [not VERY White Stripes album haha, and I’ve never listened to Joanne Newsome].

But outside of the indie circle, and maybe a few mainstream fans for White Stripes and the Strokes those albums don’t get any praise.

Rocks fanbase is fragmented way worse than raps. Just think, a metal head probably doesn’t like any of these LPs. A classic rock fan? Nope. Punk fan? Nope. etc.

That’s what I meant by fragmentation. Right now Rap has a few guys who can still get attention from almost everyone [Jay, Em, Kanye, Wayne, etc], but that’s gonna change as a new generation of fans joins the ranks, and as new media makes it easier to avoid any aspect of monoculture at all.

And with that goes the idea of universally recognized classics.

64. London Bloke Says:

Nacirema Dream woulda been a classic.

ROFLS

65. gSeven Says:

>>BluePrint 1
    BluePrint 2

classics

^yup

66. b Says:

amelot Says:
    April 21st, 2011 at 12:47 pm
    # b Says:
    April 21st, 2011 at 12:42 pm

camelot is the only black person who copped that album.camelot black?

Dear B,

OB4CL1
    Enter The 36 Chambers

classics

68. Troubleshooter1900 Says:

Jackson7
    3 mins ago
    Slum Village – “Fantastic Vol. 2″…

thats a classic album

^indeed.

Can Phonte’s- The Sleepers count as a classic?

69. Camelot Says:

“Those are off the top albums that most people will say are classic albums, whether they listen to them personally or not. People need to learn how to take their feelings out of shit and simply judge the music.”

I’m saying that the inclusion of LR and BP are supporting your argument, and killin b’s.

I mean wiki reviews of both those albums. cBc

70. JihaD Says:

London Bloke Says:
    April 21st, 2011 at 12:48 pm
    Nacirema Dream woulda been a classic.

ROFLS

CO-ROFLS.

That nigga dropped the first single for the album a couple days ago.

71. E aka Mac with the Cheese Says:

Flockaveli is a classic

72. Deen Says:

Slum Village – “Fantastic Vol. 2″…

thats a classic album

Co-sign.

It’s not perfect, but it’s a classic. Holds up great and I still discover new shit with each listen.

73. RNC Chairman Michael Steele Says:

Camelot Says:
    April 21st, 2011 at 12:46 pm

From 2001-2011?

Stillmatic
    Blueprint
    Supreme Clientele
    GRODT
    Late Registration
    Carter 2
    Come Home With Me
    MadVilliany

————————————————–

?
    The inclusion of Blueprint & LR are already nullifying your argument.
    ———————————————

How so?

74. F YOU PAY ME! Says:

i had a o and a half of some strawberry crush

had a great 4 20

later that night me and my girl got into an argument

this morning i go down stairs and open my fridge to retrieve my lovely bud anticipating the wake in bake

the tree is no where to be found

smh

this why i cant fuck with this bitch

thats some childish ass shit

i knew i should have hid that shit

75. gSeven Says:

>>Crime Pays= Classic

^Roffael Saadiq

76. kevfrescura de talco Says:

graduation > LR

it jus is.

sup nahkis

77. hl Says:

Be, Finding Forever, CD, Late Registration, Food & Liquor, The Minstrel Show….

^Deeper Than Rap, Marcberg, Estatic, Shoalin Vs. Wu etc is better than all them shits except maybe LR.

78. RNC Chairman Michael Steele Says:

But I mean seriously, are we going to gloss over 50s flaws as an MC and anoint GRODT a classic when we can’t do that for other rappers?

79. kevfrescura de talco Says:

Can Phonte’s-The Sleepers count as a classic?

> thas rapper pooh…& nah.

80. b Says:

deeper than rap better than BE????????

81. Camelot Says:

I think the verification of my race based on the fact that I actually PURCHASE music from artists I like is as dumb as inferring that telling a nigga to sing into a hairbrush is racist.

BUT since I have class in 8 minutes.

I been told niggas, last night even.

nahright.com/2009/10/20/video-bg-ft-mannie-fresh-my-hood-behind-the-scenes/#comment-2401738

82. RNC Chairman Michael Steele Says:

new post

83. Camelot Says:

Purchasing music from niggas that produce the worthwhile material >>>>>

84. LeRoy Green Says:

el feces loco Says:

April 21st, 2011 at 12:39 pm

^^^^^^

*daps*

85. LeRoy Green Says:

Slum Village – “Fantastic Vol. 2″…

thats a classic album