Lyor Cohen Interview w/ Complex

lyor-cohen

Lyor Cohen recently spoke to Complex Magazine for The Shotcaller interview in their latest issue. They press him on his thoughts of a free music industry, why he can’t have any Kid Cudi conversations with his son, and what he thinks of Drake signing with his managers… instead of with him:

Speaking of new artists, many people were expecting Drake to sign with you at Warner Music. Did it disappoint you that he ended up going with Universal Motown?

A very disappointing thing. But I’m a lover of rap music. I want good things to happen to this industry. I have so much good fortune and already have everything. I feel like we have a terrific company, and we’re very old-school in that once we grip someone’s hand, fundamentally we believe that’s a deal. But that’s not this generation. They’ll grip someone’s hand and say they’re coming, but if someone offers them more they will renege. That’s not how we get down.

Did Drake do that?

I’ll keep that between Drake and myself.

Later in the interview, he says some pretty insightful things about what it was like “back in his day” and how none of the shit that people care about nowadays was even an issue back then.

Link: Shotcaller: Lyor Cohen [Complex]

33 Responses to “Lyor Cohen Interview w/ Complex”

1. herbal kint Says:

911 Says:
    June 1st, 2010 at 1:07 pm
    Idk HK, we’ve pretty much survived everything. This can be a tipping point though, especially the points you made about other states following along or going completely locked abroad on it’s locals. I guess time will tell.

…. word, the thing that needs to really be considered here is why weed became illegal in the first place and who has the most at stake in keeping it illegal…. Weed became illegal for two reasons 1) as a way to arrest and deport minorities 2) to help the big businesses such as alcohol, cigarettes and pharmacies, all this industries would suffer from the legalization of weed, and I haven’t even gotten started on what the prisons would do without being able to generate ridiculous amounts of income for people getting popped for weed charges ….

2. Dewill Says:

*late pass*

I’ve smoked a total of 3 times in my life… and I don’t get it…that along with getting drunk… is just dumb to me… (no shots)

*shrugs*

3. D_Block_4_Life Says:

Lol…Lyor is salty.

4. Cashmere Cavalli aka Snowbunny Sampson Says:

3 times isn’t enough to gain the full weed experience….u gotta at least sample different types of tree and different highs THC can offer

5. DC (District of Chase) Says:

^I think the issue with legalizing weed is that unlike alcohol and cigarettes/nicotine, weed can be grown in your back yard. Even if they legalize it, they will stand to lose insane amounts of money cuz then anyone can grow it, and if you could, wouldn’t you just grow your weed instead of buying it?

Very few people know hot to make alcohol/moonshine, and you cant just start a nicotine farm in your backyard, but you can plant some hemp seeds and sit that shit on your fire place and call it a day

6. J.B. Says:

“They’ll grip someone’s hand and say they’re coming?” AYO! *DMX voice*

7. S.I.C.K.VET Says:

@Dewill

You ain`t missing nothing fam.My pockets stay famished chasing that weed and alcohol.I know I`ve spent carnotes on partying and bullshit.But with that said:

Drinking and Smoking>>>>

8. Belize Says:

Lyor runs this shyt. Fall in line pipsqueaks

9. hl Says:

@Hopp you still here?

10. R.J.Orion Says:

Belize Says:

June 1st, 2010 at 1:20 pm
    Lyor runs this shyt.

——-

unfortunately

11. herbal kint Says:

DC (District of Chase) Says:
    June 1st, 2010 at 1:17 pm

….. Naw that ain’t an issue like you would think, if that was the case the legal weed stores open all around the country would fail miserably. Everyone who can buy legally from those stores can grow their own, but most don’t because most people in general are too lazy (brewing your own alcohol is waaay faster and easier than growing your own weed) especially most potheads, why do all the work when they can just go get it ready made dirt cheap, not to mention yes weed is called weed because it will grow anywhere and anyone can grow it, but not anyone can grow REALLY GOOD weed, your paying the premium for the ill genetics and the proper knowledge of how to grow and properly cure the weed ….

12. dos equis Says:

I feel sorry for anyone who doesn’t drink, every morning they wake up knowing it wont get any better for them all day- W.Allen

13. DC (District of Chase) Says:

^Good point

14. b Says:

i miss burning so much but i know how lazy and un productive i get.as an introvert who suffers from depression chronic was my way to escape.i wasted years of my life being high.i aint burn since september and hope to not go back til im financially straight but i know thats a stretch.i cant be one of those “i only burn on the weekend” cats, i go hard or go home.

15. mcb Says:

i also dont liek the idea of dumbass kids just gettign their license, smoking a blunt while they drive and almost hit a woman

some people can drive stoned, other can’t. fact of life.

16. Eastern_Digital aka Nahright's Fantasy Football champ Says:

Caddy all white like Lyor

17. dos equis Says:

If they legalize weed what they gonna do about the smell? the office can’t be smelling like Kush all crazy.

*cops 100k Shares in Baush n Lomb (visine)*

18. Hopp Says:

@Hopp you still here?

Jus’ got home. Had some business to get done, but unfortunately I jus’ wasted time on the streets today.

What’s good ?

19. dos equis Says:

some people can drive stoned, other can’t. fact of life.

^What if they only hit a cat?

20. Da Partystarter Says:

Weed was made illegal because of MONEY. weed comes from the HEMP family and with hemp , you can make many inexpensive materials. The DuPont family was developing plastic in the 20’s-30’s and the cultivation of hemp would have prevented them from making money on plastic because hemp is cheaper than plastic and easy to cultivate in almost any climate. The outlawing of marijuana was just a consequence of the DuPont family BUYING the outlawing of hemp as a whole. Of course it didn’t hurt that films such as “Reefer Madness” helped to foster the idea that weed was a runaway scourge to middle American (white) teenagers at the time.

21. mcb Says:

b Says:

June 1st, 2010 at 1:30 pm

You and I sir, very alike. but i stay burning out of habit/other reasons.
    financially, i gotta get smarter (aka grow, but roommmates wont let me it) or use less.
    my theory is to either get more money, or get it cheaper. since i wont always use less. in the past i wasnt a daily smoker, but i still bought nad smoked couple times a week min. i was enver the guy to just grab some hits on the weekend, i love my weed, there i said it.

but i gotta spend less on that hoe.

22. S.I.C.K.VET Says:

@b

I`m trying to be one of those “only burn on weekends”cats.LOL I converted to smoking bowls instead of blunts.I can stretch a quarter 4-5 days that way.The overall smoking experience is better with a blunt though.

23. herbal kint Says:

Da Partystarter Says:
    June 1st, 2010 at 1:35 pm

….. This is true, this one of the other biggest businesses that would suffer greatly from the legalization of weed, the only way the shit can really get handled any type of smoothly is if you basically just pass off the weed revenue to the other businesses otherwise they are not going to take this shit lying down and one state making it legal will just cause more problems throughout the rest of the country ….

24. mcb Says:

truth about weed on here, although i hate when dumb hippie stoners start off iwht some bs/unprovable reasons, just discredit everything smart, hardworking stoners do.

medical for anyone with a terminal illness without qquestion. they should be allowed anyting just about. RIDICULOUS THEY CANNOT EAT A WEED BROWNIE TO EASE THEM WHILE THEY ARE DYING.
    Decrim=pretty amazing. pay a ticket for getting caught. call it a day. im not mad at that, it allows for personal recreational use witha fee. so either stay in your place, or pay a small fine.

but yeah, it started with a “stamp act” that was complete bullshit, and then it jsut got worse.

*daps all the people who did 20 year bids for POSSESSING weed*

25. b Says:

i guess @ the end of the day its not what you do its how u do it.i stay wit cash in my pocket since i stopped burning tho.while i was burning it was like my money wasnt even mines,cuz its gonna go right to the budman.i wanna live up to my full potential and get high while im doing it lol

26. mcb Says:

S.I.C.K.VET Says:

June 1st, 2010 at 1:38 pm
    @b

Co-sign on the smoking experience.
    *prays that a blunt a day don’t lead to awful health complications*

and cos0gin b at 1:45. i just take off that 1/2oz right off my paycheck

27. S.I.C.K.VET Says:

You know it`s fucked up when your weedman is fly from your cash.The dude always got fresh shit on limited edition negro league baseball jackets and shit.I`m rocking khakis,polos and loafers.lol Haircut growing back in and shit.LOL

I need to go into business for myself, I look so unassuming I`d be prefect for it.I`ve never been stopped and frisked in my life.I got stopped for an open beer though.

28. rdawodu Says:

That Photo Is Classic!

29. mcb Says:

S.I.C.K.VET Says:

June 1st, 2010 at 1:52 pm

hahaha, you just need a bunch of good clients
    regular clients
    non-sketch
    and got some money
    and you need to buy hella wholesale/grow/have better shit than everyone
    to stand to a chance

dealing weed usually pays for smoking yourself up all the time. but my dude is not always fly looking but he charges a dec price and ive only said something once or twice, but some cats just dont remember how the weed game should be.

30. de la swole Says:

only white people know how to sell weed.

31. DC (District of Chase) Says:

only white people know how to sell weed.

^Not true. There’s an old head out here in DMV that sells weed for a living. Says he pulls in about 50k annually. He has a steady stream of regular clientele and he keeps his shit on the low. Shit works for some people

32. sal qaeda Says:

lyor cohen is zionist-scum. dont believe the hype. same dudes that run Fox News is runnin hiphop. no thanks!

33. loop' Says:

“tall israeli is runnin this rap shit..” ..smh

also, fuck israel for attacking the aid ship!!!