Video: Gang Starr Interview From 2003

The good folks at Groove Parlor TV sent over this extensive interview of the Chicago stop from Gang Starr’s 2003 promo run for The Ownerz, their final album together before the group’s inevitable separation.

In what might be one of the duo’s final interviews appearing with one and other, Guru discusses his beginnings in rap, how he got with Premo through their label, the signature Gang Starr sound, DJ Premier producing for others/Guru’s Jazzmatazz series, how they come up with song titles first and a couple timeless tracks off the album in question: Rite Where U Stand, In This Life, Peace of Mine and Who Got Gunz.

Part two after the jump.

64 Responses to “Video: Gang Starr Interview From 2003”

1. Danbury Says:

Not surprised to hear that Boi-1da makes his beats in 10 minutes.

2. ant Says:

RIP Guru

3. APES IN SPACE Says:

whos got a lnk for that king kong track back there

4. APES IN SPACE Says:

Curren$y-King Kong.mp3

^forget it

5. Slumbilical Says:

#NobodyGaveA_FuckWhenGuruWasAlive

6. SeniorCivilian Says:

Curren$y has the jaw of a gorilla. And I don’t mean that in a good way.

7. Shooter Says:

Curren$y has the jaw of a gorilla. And I don’t mean that in a good way.

lol when could that ever be misconceived as a good thing

8. Leonard Washington aka the Silky Johnson of Nah Right=HATE! HATE! HATE! Says:

that nigga curren$y lryics go hard(NO USHER)

9. PW Says:

#NobodyGaveA_FuckWhenGuruWasAlive

#NobodyGaveA_FuckWhenDillaWasAlive

#SolarCan’tGoToMcDonald’sAnymore

11. NovemberEnd Says:

#Copycats

12. Slumbilical Says:

the first sequence that comes on when the music starts in the Find Your Love video is NUTS…really really really a piece of art…good shit

13. Dee Says:

LF: Chiddy Bang is dope as fuck.

14. Rec Says:

Fuck you all

15. The Killer Says:

Mastiff = GOAT dog breed

16. rex hussla Says:

placehappya.blogspot.com/2010/05/effeminate-basketballas-naismith.html

LMAOOO wtf?!?!?

17. landlord Says:

pussies > dogs

*daps Mike Vick*

18. Shooter Says:

LF: Chiddy Bang is dope as fuck.

19. leonard Washington aka The Silky Johnson of nahright Says:

LF: Chiddy Bang is dope as fuck.

must be apart of the promo team

20. D_Block_4_Life Says:

That Spitta King Kong shit is tough….that and that other shit he dropped last month produced by Ski are both dope..what’s happening to me?

21. Fyodor Drostoyevsky Says:

Vampie Weekend’s Diplomat’s Son >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Just sayin’

22. sleep Says:

Currensy is avg at best. Rocafella records lol is he really gonna do that. Rocafella records without jay_z is nothing. Stop it dame stop it my man. Go and do your art thing rap is over for you. But I respect currensy for stepping out as a man and not being relegated to being lil wayne weedcarier for the next 10 yrs.

23. Shooter Says:

Vampie Weekend’s Diplomat’s Son >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

if it weren’t for the homosexual lyrics

24. Bricktop Says:

Shooter Says:

May 16th, 2010 at 12:22 am
    Vampie Weekend’s Diplomat’s Son >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

if it weren’t for the homosexual lyrics
    Contra (tha game & tha album: even with the so-called gay lyrics)>>>>>>>>>>>>

25. Bricktop Says:

Giving Up the Gun>>>any rap song in the last 5 years. fact. yes, i’m a VW stan. no, i’m not gay, eventhough a member of their band is. but, then again, so is Lil Wayne. fact. under no circumstances do grown heterosexual men touch lips. ever. there is simply no discussing this.

26. Shooter Says:

yeh Contra is dope

27. rex hussla Says:

What’s up with this Jay Elec/Benzino interview on WSHH? Jay going pretty hard at Jimmy Iovine [ll]

28. rex hussla Says:

Pharaoh Monch is 20 times iller than Eminem (c) Jay Elec

29. sealsaa Says:

sleep Says:

May 16th, 2010 at 12:15 am
    ___________________________________

I nearly flat-lined when Dame said that he would consider working with Jay “If the opportunity ever arose”. Nigga should’ve won the Rawse award for most Roffle inducing delusion.

30. baby jesus Says:

#NobodyGaveA_FuckWhenGuruWasAlive

#NobodyGaveA_FuckWhenDillaWasAlive

#SolarCan’tGoToMcDonald’sAnymore

#youngmoneyakaroomates

31. kevfrescura de talco Says:

jus came back from that JE concert/afterparty.

JE a real cool mahfuka. i rolled on him as soon as he entered the door and told him he bet’ rep us underdogs cause non-believers outnumber us. he agreed.

got pics and video footage i’ma up once i sober up. nah aint gon’ have this footage by 5pm i don’t think. lol.

but yea…..

homies the truf. even came on stage w/a big papi ortiz tee on and rocked a niggas red sox hat from the crowd.

y’all youngins betta start listenin’

*daps jorge* good loox homie.

32. kevfrescura de talco Says:

*ill show withdrawals*

33. Tweezy Says:

SMH at Jay Elec right now…Benzino? Thats who you’re rolling with now?

34. Smear Says:

Glad that I got to catch ’em on their last go-round together, Premier, GURU (RIP) Big Shug and the cru, onstage together in February 2004….Shit was extra special.

35. kevfresco Says:

F:\DCIM\102NIKON\jay e. x fresco.JPG

36. kevfrescura de talco Says:

tinyurl.com/2f26a23

37. Bricktop Says:

San Juan is just as beautiful as i remembered.
    Eye Candy strolling down Isla Verde at any given moment>>>>>>

38. hl Says:

AZ on Firm reunion: “We worked on a couple of records so far…nothing is confirmed…without Nas though, but with Foxy and Cormega.”

*blank stare*

39. sleep Says:

How would it benefit jay to work with dame? People always talk about dame beinga great business man gtfoh. Pro keds, that label he tried to start after the break up. Dame got jerked in his rocawear buy out no good business man would take such a bad deal. There’s a article in today post bout jay_z business wins and losses. Dude will be worth a billie within the next couple years. Stay away from dame my nigga

40. Shooter Says:

*blank stare*

lol, smh

41. Bricktop Says:

Morning, my fellow nahricans.

42. Bricktop Says:

Anyone have any thoughts on Congratulations by MGMT? Not sure how I feel about it yet, or even how it compares to their first joint.

43. Shooter Says:

I havnt given it many listens, there’s a couple good tracks, ‘Congratulations’ (the song) is dope

Its a lot less pop than O.S which usually would be a good thing but shit like Time to Pretend etc were kinda their strength anyway IMO. So yeh I’d say their first is better, but I still need to give it a few more listens.

44. SeniorCivilian Says:

Damn Nahggers. My dad got back from a church trip to Haiti yesterday. He said one day a prisoner escaped from some UN camp nearby, and a soldier took a warning shot which set off a near riot. The guy got captured again soon after and when the cop was walking him back everyone who had run away from the gun shots was following. My dad said it looked like they were gonna attack the cop.
    I’ve been to Nicaragua with him to build houses and he said Haiti makes Nicaragua look like America.

45. SeniorCivilian Says:

# Shooter Says:
    May 15th, 2010 at 8:13 pm

Curren$y has the jaw of a gorilla. And I don’t mean that in a good way.

lol when could that ever be misconceived as a good thing
    ^And *dead* at this. I don’t what I was thinking about when I wrote that.

46. SuperCommenter BK Strong Says:

Dame might have a chance making Roc-a-fella relevant again. Hip Hop loves underdogs

47. Joe 88 Says:

I was losing my appetite for making music after that sub-par performance I did over ghost latest beat (even tho it was more of a quality issue) but after hearing my cousin tracks he laid for his mixtape “welcome to the fastlane” it was like waking a sleeping giant.

I’m going to my homeboy video shoot today at 1, and afterwards i’m going to a different studio to re-do that ghost song, and i’m laying like 2 more songs.

My dedication has been sky high this year, and my arrogance at a all time low. I don’t think i’ve been on a scripting lyrics rampage yet this year, and don’t plan on doing so, I just wanna make decent music. I think i’m good enough to do so, but it’s not up to me, so i’m bringing 100% every effort, hopefully that translate to good/powerful music. I got something up my sleeve (n) if I make this studio session today, I promise tommorow the joints I up will be my best yet.

Broadway/

48. SuperCommenter BK Strong Says:

Go put that Work In Joe88.

49. SeniorCivilian Says:

Good Luck Joe 88. Your Exhibit C track would get burn if I could still stand that instrumental.

50. SuperCommenter BK Strong Says:

@ SeniorCivillian
    How old are you?

51. Joe 88 Says:

*Daps senior & BK Strong*

I don’t even listen to the exhibit c track, and honestly wouldn’t be upset if I never heard it again simply because of the beat. lol. That was a good time in nah c-section history tho, so I listen for nostalgia reasons.

52. SeniorCivilian Says:

# SuperCommenter BK Strong Says:
    May 16th, 2010 at 11:05 am

@ SeniorCivillian
    How old are you?
    ^18. Are you asking because of my name?

53. SuperCommenter BK Strong Says:

*Daps Joe*

54. NESTLE SNIPES Says:

How long before Jay Electronica gets knocked out or beat up and robbed?

He is talking too much shit in his interviews…

Joe Buddens got humbled…..

Jay E = Joe B of 2010

2010 is the year of the fuck boi….according to the gook calendar.

55. Nahkeem Olajuwon Says:

LF: Anyone got a link for that 150-song collection of unreleased Nas shit? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

56. hl Says:

@ SeniorCivillian
    How old are you?
    ^18. Are you asking because of my name?

lol…I was actually wondering the same thing. For some reason I always assume everyone on Nah is a a little closer to 30 than 25 like me.

57. NESTLE SNIPES Says:

“ Jay Electronica Calls Out Rappers On Stage In NY! “I Dont Give A F*ck Who You Go Get. Drake, Cudi, I Will Eat They Azzes Alive” “

Jay E vid on WSHH

58. SuperCommenter BK Strong Says:

LOL I thought you were close to my age. I was gonna start old man beef on Nah

59. Shooter Says:

Cudi’s a Rapper? Since when?

60. Black Says:

^^^^^^^

He saying that like killing them would get him points. Thats like a nigga screaming he will knock a chick the fuck out.

61. hl Says:

The idea of Cudi or Drake trying to battle someone is funny. I would pay to see that.

62. SeniorCivilian Says:

# NESTLE SNIPES Says:
    May 16th, 2010 at 11:17 am

Jay E vid on WSHH
    ^Damn. I always thought JE supported the south on GP, but he might be as big a coon as they are.

63. KzA aka Roberto Commente Says:

Jay Elec got up on stage and started ranting about eating rappers asses?

Thats homo.

64. SuperCommenter BK Strong Says:

Jay called out 2 rappers that probably never had a fight in their lives and he called them out in NY whher neither of them is from. I don’t have to wear a Fez to know that was a bitch move.