Video: Pill Has Andre 3000’s ‘Stamp Of Approval’

via MTV Mixtape Daily

“To have his stamp of approval, me being from the A and idolizing them — him and Big [Boi] — for him to hit you and quote your lines on the tape, I was like, ‘Oh!’ ” Pill said. “I was like, ‘For real? That’s what’s up! I appreciate it.’ He’s top-five to me. … I was like, ‘I might know how to rap a little bit.’ ” Pill is a former protégé of onetime Outkast affiliate Killer Mike but has since ventured out on his own. While handing out copies of his mixtape earlier this year, he bumped into Three Stacks and gave him a tape. Andre called the next day with compliments.

“I didn’t think he’d ever listen to it or ever say nothing about it,” Pill said. “That gave me some more fuel to keep going. I was like, ‘OK yeah, maybe I need to actually keep on going.’ ”

Dre is just one of many to join Pill’s fanbase since 4180: The Prescription came out in February. The tape has generated enough interest that Pill has been performing at clubs and high-profile events such as the recent CMJ Music Seminar. The mixtape’s frantically paced “Trap Goin’ Ham” has been one of the year’s big underground sleeper hits. The equally gritty video and ode to a day in the trap had people wondering what the hell “goin’ ham” meant. He said “ham” is slang for “mayhem.”

“It’s just a street term we use down there. ‘Ham’ is just like off the meter,” Pill explained. “Don’t nobody know where it originates from. I ain’t going to sit here lying, like, ‘Oh, I made that up.’ That’s just a slang term in the A. Everybody said, ‘That thing going ham.’ I just thought of making a song about the trap goin’ ham.”

Pill also pointed out that “ham” is a universal term that could apply to the trap, a strip club or a ten-piece of chicken.

On Tuesday, Pill released the Bizness-produced “Hear Somebody Comin’,” which is the first song from his new mixtape 4075: The Refill, due November 17.

69 Responses to “Video: Pill Has Andre 3000’s ‘Stamp Of Approval’”

1. CassavaLeaf Says:

fail

2. CassavaLeaf Says:

“Trap Goin’ Ham”

>anyone has that joint?

3. Ghost Writer Says:

SPATE Magazine Says:

November 5th, 2009 at 8:35 am
    Ghost thats whats up

Chillin’…wat up

He definitely made a fan outta me, and I ain’t even heard The Prescription (yet).

B.O.T.Y.

5. LondonBloke: Lambeth Livin but Still Winnin Says:

“Don’t nobody know where it originates from.

Big surprise that bammas dont know what they saying.

Although Pill is kinda decent [n] though

6. Ghost Writer Says:

Whoa read that comment wrong

7. Mr. Iceberg Slim Says:

Do you really wanna see a Jay-Z vs. Beanie Sigel battle? You bloodthirsty rap fans kill me. I had a front row seat for Hov and Nas and this ain’t it. This is ugly. Sad. Disturbing. B Dot can’t even sleep at night. Ha! Seriously, we all loved the Roc dynasty and what it meant to hip-hop culture but obviously it died. Out of the ashes, came the rise of Kanye West. Ever heard of him? He’s pretty good. Beans needs to move on. Pointing fingers and diggin’ up dirt from the past? What’s the point? As far as I know, he’s a free agent and can sign to whomever. Shit, he could put out a mixtape tomorrow that could impact and change the game. (See Drake) Nobody’s stoppin’ him! What does he gain from throwin’ his mentor under the bus at this point. It actually discredits how good of a rapper he is. Be clear: Sigel’s self-destructive moves (guns, drugs, attempted murder charge) are the biggest culprit in his inability to become a superstar. Not shady business. I hope this whole thing blows over soon. Fuck a pause. And fuck anyone who’s riding with this frivolous fuckery. Team Carter on this one. Still.

^^^^^^^^^6

Well said, YN…Well said

8. CassavaLeaf Says:

Big surprise that blokes dont know what they saying.

Although Pill is kinda decent [n] though

fixed for geographic reasons

9. Mr. Iceberg Slim Says:

YN

50’s not gonna sign you Beans. And if he did there’s no way you’re gettin’ 800K these days. While you’re lamenting missed opportunities from the past, your old boss is on to the next one. He just made a great album when’s the last time you can say the same? You were a loyal soldier and the anchor of the boat but the Roc-a-fella cruise ship crashed when Jay and Dame broke-up years ago. The glory days are over. Let the past go. No more sponsors. New beginnings. Make a big record

oNCE AGAIN WELL SAID

Smh @ having to explain what “ham” means. Context clues, people.

11. CassavaLeaf Says:

rapgaydar is a failure

12. Joe 88 Says:

Can we please go one day w/o talking bout beans vs jay? Nevermind, I know that won’t happen

*daps all*

13. Ghost Writer Says:

People still talking about this Beans and camel shit….give it a rest

14. CassavaLeaf Says:

He just made a great album

everything from the second quote was on point besides that.
    jay got killed on every feature and i wouldn’t say that it’s great
    matter of fact: its far from great
    american gangster = great
    black album = great
    bp3 = decent

15. Ghost Writer Says:

*daps all*

Beans and camel shit

^name and cover art for my new album.

17. Joe 88 Says:

^Broad street bully is all kinds of dope. That joint he had a video for “the ghetto” is a beast. But Beans said it’s not an real beanie album, but w/e, that shit is crack.

18. CassavaLeaf Says:

Just watched that DJ Drama on CNN and after watching the panel about the Black Men in the Age of President Obama, I’ve failed to realize is why so many people are using Pres Obama as a crutch to their lame excuses. There is no reason for any man not to be a “good” father to their kids; they didn’t ask to be here.

So I assume DJ Drama was a deadbeat, a shithead father? He neglected his kids and treated their mother like trash? So what now? You now throw them a check and still treat their mother like trash?

It’s sad that men are wanting props and giving props to Obama for doing something that they’re suppose to do as men. I lost all respect for this dude and some of the people on the panel. I feel offended and insulted as a struggling single father.

I take it that more African Americas are going to start getting married, instead of just creating baby mothers? If so, why did it take Obama to do this? Obama inspired Farrah Gray to all the sudeen wanting to be married and have kids? Like really, are you serious? Mind you , this was a man that didn’t want to get married and procreate to continue his legacy. What did he want before?

But all the sudden, people are having life changing moments due to a man that sitting in DC in which no one can get within his vision.

Dr. Perry was the only one who had a sense of self- reliance on that panel. Being that I’ve set an example as an African-American father, shouldn’t my picture be right up there next to Barack’s? Where the logic behind that?

Amazing how a grown man being a role model to another grown man. I thought role models are people you know, and have had a personal effect on your life.

People we need to wake up. Stand up and take accountability for your actions. Be what Allah has blessed us to be.

19. b-ease Says:

Yea, Pill is dope. A Killer Mike/TI fusion, but more interesting than Tip and not as overpowering vocally as Mike. This might work.

*daps all in vicinity*

*raises glass*

20. LondonBloke: Lambeth Livin but Still Winnin Says:

Yo i want 50 and jay to beef, then Cam to realign with one of them and end the others career.

Just sayin

21. b-ease Says:

^Broad street bully is all kinds of dope

It’s okay. Better than The Solution (but what isnt?), but way more filler than crack. I copped it physically the first day, and havent listened to it more than twice. As dope as Beans is, he’s never made a wack beat into a dope record. Dwight needs incredible production to really shine.

22. CassavaLeaf Says:

Also, when the fuck did Drama become black? How the fuck can he speak for the AFRICAN AMERICAN FAMILY?

that shit is kinda disgusting and fucking CNN should be appalled

that’s worst than calling Ray J a rapper

because he is affiliated with rap music these mainstream networks think that DJ Drama speaks for African Americans when he himself isn’t

23. b-ease Says:

Just sayin

Camel and Cam vs. Dwight and Curtis would be epic…if this was 2004. None of those niggas is performing at peak levels right now. But yea, it’d still be interesting, and I’m sure we’d get at least one hilarious outro from Fif and one blistering verse from Beans. So yea, maybe it would kind of epic…I dont know about anything anymore.

24. b-ease Says:

LF: 4 weeks no weed. After being on a (at least) 3 L a day habit since I was 17. I honestly can’t believe it’s happening.

25. LondonBloke: Lambeth Livin but Still Winnin Says:

So yea, maybe it would kind of epic…I dont know about anything anymore.

lol. Nah i was just listening to the Cam diss for both of them and was just laughing away. I’d prefer Cam + jay cause then Cam could get Kanye beats on his next album.

But i doubt they’ll even be a proper beef at all anyways. Just saying.

26. a tribe called quest Says:

Yankees can suck deez nutz

27. Joe 88 Says:

The solution was fucking terrible, I didn’t think it was possible for beans to make a album that wack.

Beans needs soulful beats to really show his talent, or maybe he needs to hook back up the dude that did the beats on the 2 state p albums, chad west I think his name was.

But right now, i’d tackle a grizzly bear for a scarface/beans album, shit, i’d do it for a mixtape mash up of some of there old work. To hear beans rap over “never” or scarface spit over “change gon come” would be classic

28. LondonBloke: Lambeth Livin but Still Winnin Says:

What was the catalyst to finally give up? Hope it wasnt Beezy’s insults lol

29. Mr. Iceberg Slim Says:

Your girl says “Baby i heard the radio saying Jayz has a beef with a guy named beanie siegal. I am not sure who he is, what was his last song on the radio, that i would have heard?

What would your response be?

30. b-ease Says:

Yes, yes it would. I was always surprised more cats didnt go in over that “Never” beat. Its basic enough for any flow to work over it, and the concept is already built in. Hmmm…

*emails homey for Never instrumental*

31. b-ease Says:

What would your response be?

I honestly can’t imagine a girl over 18 with even a cursory knowledge of hiphop even saying that. Seriously.

32. LondonBloke: Lambeth Livin but Still Winnin Says:

What would your response be?

For you.

“Come on now Bleek you know his last song baby”

33. LondonBloke: Lambeth Livin but Still Winnin Says:

#no shots

34. Joe 88 Says:

b-ease Says:
    November 5th, 2009 at 9:00 am

*daps*

I salute you, breaking a habit that you’ve had before you became an adult has to be one of the hardest things to do (n) belive me, i’ve tried, it’s hard for me to make it thru a week w/o smoking or buying a drink. Like i’ve said, I did it earlier this year, for a cool 3 months, but fell back into the habit after my b-day. Makes me mad I even started

35. b-ease Says:

What was the catalyst to finally give up? Hope it wasnt Beezy’s insults lol

Beezy? lol, all bullshit aside his rolling has gotten better. So now I point a gun at him and ask him which hand he rolls up with in honor of the time when Beanie Sigel wasnt a whiny bitch. You should see his face (ll).

It was actually a combo of a failed drug test for an alcohol class, and honestly just realizing that it was becoming a hinderence to me succeeding in life on a meaningful level.

36. S.I.C.K Says:

b-ease Says:

November 5th, 2009 at 9:00 am
    ^^^Applause^^

*daps all*

Shit I came to work sober today and I feel mad wack.It seems that my commute was filled with grotesque bitches.LOL

If nigaas got 5 minutes to waste,click on my name and check out this 1 take freestyle I did.I`m not saying I`m anywhere near the best,nor am I looking for a deal.I`m just a true bboy at heart who lives hip hop as an actual culture.I basically get high and I start rapping and pulling words out my ass(II).I don`t write rhymes at all.I just go off the dome(II).

37. b-ease Says:

for a cool 3 months, but fell back into the habit after my b-day.

Word, I did the same. No alcohol for a little over three months, got wasted one weekend, and felt myself being pulled back quicker than I anticipated. I caught ahold though before it got retarted again. My goal is to not drink until New Years. I’m pretty sure I can pull it off…

38. G7 Says:

*daps* bloke, bease, joe, cold, ghost, billz, cassava, hov lite, sick and the rest

39. b-ease Says:

*daps G7, S.I.C.K.*

40. G7 Says:

>>not sure if this was said, but that self destruction song is all kinds of insulting

^lol. i didn’t listen, but that just sounds funny.

41. LondonBloke: Lambeth Livin but Still Winnin Says:

*daps G7, S.I.C.K.*

42. b-ease Says:

Maybe they’re always grotesque, but you’re so wacked out of your mind that they normally look like 8s and 9s. Even weed can make a broad look better. Seriously.

43. Mr. Iceberg Slim Says:

b-ease Says:

November 5th, 2009 at 9:04 am

What would your response be?

As i thought also, there is no answer…..my girl asked me this a week ago and i have yet to get back with an answer

44. b-ease Says:

my girl asked me this a week ago and i have yet to get back with an answer

How old is she? Does she actually listen to hiphop, and is she black? And if she is black, did she hang out with mostly white people?

Like I said, I can’t imagine hearing the question from a black woman over the age of 18, I really can’t.

45. G7 Says:

>>The solution was fucking terrible

===
    co-sign. dblock saying yesterday that album is decent…lol & smh. that album reached the recycle bin at record speed.

46. Mr. Iceberg Slim Says:

b-ease Says:

November 5th, 2009 at 9:14 am

Not sure about that, my experience in my younger days was quite the 180, but liquor, now that makes every 6 and up a dime

47. b-ease Says:

@ Iceberg

I mean, there is no answer, Beans has never really been a “radio” artist, even at his peak. So that question in and of itself doesnt prove his irrelevance.

But, rap the chorus of “Roc the Mic” to her. If she doesnt recognize it, you’re girl’s mad corny, no shots.

48. LondonBloke: Lambeth Livin but Still Winnin Says:

LF: Free At Last is an underrated IMO.

Good beats
    Good rhymes
    Mix of upbeat/heartfelt tracks
    Potential commercial hits without selling out

49. JihaD Says:

November 5th, 2009 at 9:04 am

What would your response be?

Gutted ft. Camel Face… They played that shit heavy in Philly

Oh yea Pill>>>> your favorite Southern Rapper

3 Stacks worst verse>>>> Jay Elec-Whatever-the-hells-hes-calling-himself’s best SONG

JihaD

50. b-ease Says:

Not sure about that, my experience in my younger days was quite the 180

Weed made girls look wacker to you?

but liquor, now that makes every 6 and up a dime

Goes without saying, lol.

51. Bx Blue Says:

Mr. Iceberg Slim Says:

November 5th, 2009 at 9:02 am

What would your response be?

^ Shut up whore

52. Joe 88 Says:

@Iceberg

You girl prolly likes Jay-Z because you like him (n) And I know plenty of girls that knows who beanie segal is, prolly can’t name a recent song, but there aware of who he is.

So it’s not like some random ass guy that no one knows is going at hov, it’s beanie segal, and obviously your girl isnt a hip hop head so she shouldn’t know who he is, but you being a hip hop head knows who beanie is, and prolly own a few of his albums

I love how nowadays, rap fans are more than just fans, we’re (i’m speaking about myself to) accountants, promoters, producers, etc of rappers we’ve never met, we come up with imaginary numbers that new albums are gonna generate, and what group of people are buying the albums. It’s funny and sad at the same time

53. CassavaLeaf Says:

I’m with you

54. Ghost Writer Says:

G7 Says:

November 5th, 2009 at 9:12 am

*daps g7 and everyone on that list*

55. b-ease Says:

Thing is, I honestly can’t think of a bad 3 Stacks verse. But sense you’re really just implying that Jay Elec’s not that dope, I’m gonna no-sign it anyway.

^ (lickle vicious voice) awww noooo…. awww noooo

57. LondonBloke: Lambeth Livin but Still Winnin Says:

Just ignore that nigga #no shots#. He signs off his comments

LB.

58. Mr. Iceberg Slim Says:

Thanks guys, i see we all agree there is no answer

59. b-ease Says:

since > sense

60. G7 Says:

LondonBloke: Lambeth Livin but Still Winnin Says:

November 5th, 2009 at 9:19 am
    LF: Free At Last is an underrated IMO.

Good beats
    Good rhymes
    Mix of upbeat/heartfelt tracks
    Potential commercial hits without selling out

^I’m not even a big fan of Free, but that album was good!

61. spirit equality Says:

^ ^ i’m pretty sure drama is black. he’s very light skinned, but he’s still black. what are you going on about?

62. spirit equality Says:

my BM is from bed stuy and is a huge beanie fan. or was in the roc days, anyway. but i don’t think she ever bought one beanie album. i think there were a lot of jay fans who became beans fans, way more than actually bought his records.

63. spirit equality Says:

Thanks guys, i see we all agree there is no answer

^ ^ someone already told you “roc the mic”, but maybe you didn’t want an answer?

64. G7 Says:

>>You girl prolly likes Jay-Z because you like him

^that’s a big prob today. too many man crushes that can’t be separated from the music.

Iceberg

Nah, we just all agree your girl is corny.

*dapz Nahggers*

66. Dewill Says:

Who is PILL? I live in ATL and never heard of him…
    *Am I lame*?

67. De_Here Says:

*goes down building steps and stands on corner*

*yells OKAY DENNNNNN at complete stranger*

*does push ups with no shirt on in middle of street*

*walks back up building steps*

Pill is that dude

68. Nah Right » Audio: Pill Interview w/ Bootleg Kev Says:

[…] Pill called into Bootleg Kev’s show to talk about his 2010 XXL Freshman cover, where he was when he saw the NY Times cover with him on it, his relationship with Freddie Gibbs, the state of Southern Hip-Hop, his new deal with Asylum Records, his upcoming 1140: The Overdose mixtape , the progress of his debut album, potentially hooking up with Scarface and Andre 3K, and of course the Andre 3000 co-sign. […]

69. Nah Right » Pill x DJ Drama - 1140: The Overdose (Mixtape) Says:

[…] mixtape #3 (after 2009’s Andre 3000-cosigned 4180: The Prescription and 4075: The Refill) arrives right on […]