J. Period & K’Naan – The Messengers (Mixtape)

jpk-messengers-cover

We missed each individual drops but here’s the long-play version of their trilogy.

Three weeks after introducing the first of their groundbreaking Messengers tributes, J.Period & K’NAAN present their final offering: The Messengers (Deluxe Edition), a long-play version of their epic trilogy, including previously unreleased bonus tracks and selected 12” singles. Taking hip hop fans on an unprecedented journey into the legacies of Fela Kuti, Bob Marley and Bob Dylan, J.Period & K’NAAN’s The Messengers has racked up over 85,000 downloads/plays in only a few short weeks online, making this mixtape a bonafide phenomenon, as well. Remixing and re-imagining the classic work of these legendary artists, The Messengers is already being called “one of the year’s best albums or mixtapes” by top hip hop journalists, including HipHopDX.com.

Download: J. Period & K’Naan – The Messengers (Deluxe Edition)

64 Responses to “J. Period & K’Naan – The Messengers (Mixtape)”

1. Harlem World Says:

Rapping to just be rapping >> rapping to get rich

SLAUGHTERHOUSE X EM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

2. Joe 88 Says:

I should’ve known niggas was gonna find a way to defend the camel. This nigga talking bout he likes how a nigga moves, and he wants to put his legs behind his fucking ears, wtf b?

Let max b, or boosie say that shit, niggas would have a field day.

3. BSEENANDHEARD Says:

Bout to go get a Boosie box/fade with a Tony Weeks part

4. Ghost Writer Says:

One love

Lito post some vidoes of ya girl dancing in thongs with Lisa Lisa and cult jam playin in the back ground. no disrespect.

youtube.com/watch?v=dxkbTG6PeCI

^yo ghost this song if you can.

7. Ghost Writer Says:

I wanna see Ashanti put her legs behind her ears……I love that girl

8. Woodrow The Basehead Says:

“Chris hasn’t tried to get me to do yoga yet but I am close to doing it. I’m envious of what he can do on stage,” said Jay-Z. “Watching him is amazing, he can really move. I want to be able to move like that, get my leg behind my ear, things like that.”

The worst most embarassing part of this isnt even the yoga shit its that Jay Z seriously thinks that guy from Coldplay is a good performer???!?!?! Really Jay??!?! Have you seen him? even people in the rock world diss this prick – check him out on youtube doing Billie Jean as an MJ tribute – no words

This just shows how much Jay has become a celebrity stan, desperately seeking the approval of his white rock contemporaries, thing is he doesnt understand that world and its embarassing.

Result – Jay Z fits in nowhere, lost in a camel faced netherworld.

9. Plug Says:

^ the true ether was the background setting. Who even has walls like that anymore. ole cardboard box wall having ass ninja.
    —–
    this ninja sean coonery lives on a farm.

10. BSEENANDHEARD Says:

Rapping to just be rapping >> rapping to get rich

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Something like saying working for fun >>>>>>> Working for a paycheck…..Now when in those terms, does that statement make a lick of sense?

11. Ghost Writer Says:

Lol @ cOLD

12. Plug Says:

sean coonery the type of ninja that spends thousands of dollars on gear but has to use a monkey wrench to turn on his kitchen sink

13. Big Homie Says:

I wanna see Ashanti put her legs behind her ears……I love that girl

^ She would definitely get it. cosign

14. BSEENANDHEARD Says:

# Woodrow The Basehead Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 10:44 am

Result – Jay Z fits in nowhere, lost in a camel faced netherworld.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Has the fact checking abilities of a republican….

15. Rey Says:

# Woodrow The Basehead Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 10:44 am

Result – Jay Z fits in nowhere, lost in a camel faced netherworld.

Wow.. That’s extra venomous for something not really that important. Are you secretly Jim Jones?

Woo-Sah, cap’n. I don’t even hate Drake that much.

16. Al Poelvordino Says:

Woodrow The Basehead Says:
    ^u don’t like jay, coldplay
    okay. then stop hatin’
    never the less
    peace!

17. BSEENANDHEARD Says:

# Plug Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 10:46 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Or shop lift a pack of gum with a pocket full of money

18. Hollabread Says:

Whats Eddie Griffin and Ben Stiller doing up there?!?

19. RIGZ Says:

Coonery is Foghorn Leghorn. He’s a cartoon. And a bird.

The yute Coonery probably got furniture made from Lego boxsets

20. Big_seth aka Bruce Bamma Says:

LMAO @ Hov

link for that?

he still the GOAT though… a goofy ass GOAT

21. Harlem World Says:

Nah, see these dumb rappers quit their day job thinking they the shit and a deal is gonna fall out the sky for them. I mean niggas like slaughterhouse who just rap for the sake of rapping.

22. Woodrow The Basehead Says:

It gets better – he loves Bono too

The rap star is a friend of the U2 singer and says he would love to turn their personal relationship into a professional one.
    He said: “Bono would be a great person to work with. I think he’s cool He’s good!
    “He does so many things. He’s had longevity, he’s made classic albums, he’s still relevant right now and he does so much for the world. He’s a complete human being,”

23. BSEENANDHEARD Says:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4AA6EuZe-k Fela Kuti…… lookin SKY HIGH LoL

24. Harlem World Says:

Wheres this sean coonery video/photos?

25. BSEENANDHEARD Says:

# Woodrow The Basehead Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 10:51 am

It gets better – he loves Bono too

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not a fan of charity work and being an adult I see

26. RIGZ Says:

whats wrong with Bono…? Is liking Bono & Chris Martin (no Premo)not “hiphop” enuff?

27. LondonBloke: Lambeth Livin but Still Winnin Says:

U2 have sold more than 145 million albums worldwide and have won 22 Grammy Awards, more than any other band.

To be fair he has got a reason to like them

Not a fan of charity work and being an adult I see

^ * microwaves popcorn 3 mins*
    *pauses video of Brenda K starr*
    *waits*

29. Detroit P Says:

Crooked I is working on an EP called Mr. Pig Face Weapon Waist
    ^^^^^^^^^
    ….Why crooked I will never succeed

30. Bill Hu$tle Says:

# Detroit P Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 10:56 am

Crooked I is working on an EP called Mr. Pig Face Weapon Waist
    ^^^^^^^^^
    ….Why crooked I will never succeed

its only an EP, not like it will be in best buy right next to dora the explorer dvd

31. Crooked I Says:

Detroit P Says:

September 23rd, 2009 at 10:56 am
    Crooked I is working on an EP called Mr. Pig Face Weapon Waist
    ^^^^^^^^^
    ….Why crooked I will never succeed

^ and why exactly is that Detroit P, if you dont mind my asking?

32. Gravity Says:

*daps nahgas, Joe88,Cold,Rigz,Seth etc*
    *Counsels the abused one that lost his virginity to Hov*

LF: The new ultra-thin LCD TV’s >>>>, anyone who bought a plasma for more than a grip lost. Gotta get me one of those.

33. Bill Hu$tle Says:

good mornin VietNah

34. Crooked I Says:

thank you Bill Hu$tle for explaining to the less inclined.

35. Eastern_Digital Says:

BTW: I think that Sean Coonery = Two-Times = Tony Yayo

36. Woodrow The Basehead Says:

Its nothing to do with Hip Hop its about being a real person or being Hollywood

Jay z thinks Bono and Chris Martin and Gwyneth are his friends????? Thats the fake world he lives in now thats all.

Its nothing to do with being “hood” its about being “real” (being real isnt about shooting people – smh at you people that always get that confused)

37. Ghost Writer Says:

*died @ Crooked I showing up when his named was called*

38. Crooked I Says:

Before I go I quick word on discipline:

It is what will make you stop doing something you love with temporary gratification, to do something hate with life changing results.

39. Joey Profit$ Says:

BTW: I think that Sean Coonery = Two-Times = Tony Yayo

It’s starting to make sense but why would that nigga be up this early but that might explain the lame LV headband and wristband

40. Ghost Writer Says:

Crooked I why you hooked up with east coast rappers instead of maybe some cats from the west?

41. RIGZ Says:

Its nothing to do with Hip Hop its about being a real person or being Hollywood

Whoa, whoa whoa….whose “you people”?? I never said anything about “hood” or “real” smh.

And how do you know who his real friends are?

42. Joey Profit$ Says:

Hell I’ll answer that it was a good move for HIPHOP!!!

43. Harlem World Says:

“One time Dre came up to me and said, I want to be white suge…Can you help me be white? I looked at this n!gga like, is this n!gga really serious…I told him you can date a white woman, move to a white neighborhood, but I cant physically make you white…”

44. LondonBloke: Lambeth Livin but Still Winnin Says:

Crooked I why dont you help Horseshoe G.A.N.G some more. They need it [n]

45. Ghost Writer Says:

Like don’t you feel a sense of betrayal to your hood?

46. sleep Says:

Hovito platinum in 1 month

*hope forever young is the next single*

47. Gravity Says:

I’m just wondering, maybe Hov has his PR on blogs to keep his name in ni99as mouth.. I mean what the fuc is up with yapping about who he hangs with?

48. Crooked I Says:

^ first time I logged into Nahright.com and got a real question.

Fact is, the West is suffering from the crabs in the barrel syndrome. I think I discussed this before, but to sum it up. If you are not aligned in some form with Aftermath, your shine will be a temporary one. I like what the boy Nipsey Hustle is doing, he’s holding it down as far as up and comers on the W.C. But unless he gets the cosign from Dr. Dre, he gone fade out like a nike sign on an old pair of forces.

49. BSEENANDHEARD Says:

Rigz comes thru with the question of the day………..

And how do you know who his real friends are?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

watyougonsaynahson

50. BARPAN Says:

Harlem World Says:

September 23rd, 2009 at 11:07 am

^^^^^
    lmao thats when i knew suge was on some other shyt…i think after that errbody stop listenin to anything he had to say…

51. Harlem World Says:

DJ Quik > Dr Dre?

52. Woodrow The Basehead Says:

And how do you know who his real friends are?

No shots at you – but you know whenever i diss Jay (as i always do) for being a sell-out, people always get on that

“oh he doesnt rap about shooting and selling crack no more so hes a sell-out”

it aint nothing to do with that, hes just another fake celebrity obsessed with other celebrities, some people think hes representing hip-hop in that world but i think its sad that the so-called GOAT is so desperate for that worlds acceptance.

Well do you think they are really friends?

53. Crooked I Says:

Crooked I why dont you help Horseshoe G.A.N.G some more. They need it [n]

^ their time is coming. We still touring as Slaughter House, after that I can focus on them. But just recently I was checking the overall receptance of them and blogs and such, not sure if all the criticism is warrented. Do you guys even listen to half those songs before commenting.

54. sleep Says:

How u know chris martin and hov aren’t real friend. Its not like they do a bunch of songs together and its like their using each other.

55. Big_seth aka Bruce Bamma Says:

LMAO.
    how do we know if Hov is really these peoples friends or not.
    Did you ask them?

56. Joe 88 Says:

^Co-sign.

Being real with yourself > doing “so called” real things to be accepted

57. Eastern_Digital Says:

BTW: I think that Sean Coonery = Two-Times = Tony Yayo

Fiddy wants his breakfast.

58. Ghost Writer Says:

Damn cOLD is in full character made right now….answering the questions legitimately and shit…..Ol rented suit lawyer ass cat

59. Bill Hu$tle Says:

Woodrow The Basehead Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 11:10 am

“oh he doesnt rap about shooting and selling crack no more so hes a sell-out”

Well do you think they are really friends?

im confused? so how does one act when he becomes one of the biggest superstars in the world, where everyone knows his name. From what i understand he is still close with some people who have been there from day one ty ty, bleek, etc. To be the GOAT u have to grow up sometime. but again inform me how he is a sell out. Im not goin to even get on the subject about his friends, who are we to even know exactly wtf he does with his friends. unless ur in that cirlce, ur lost

60. Gravity Says:

^^^^^

Who sent this ni99a(c) land. Who he s’posed to hang with? DMX, Fat joe or Busta rhymes? LA Reid maybe, or Russell Simmons? you prefer he hang with you in the hood, talking about keeping it real. At least when Rockers have a problem with something he did their first instinct won’t be to alert the media to report from their momma basement about how jay z done’em dirty…

61. TheCo!!inB Says:

you can’t log on to Nah and read this nigga Plug’s comments first. I haven’t stopped laughing yet and I read that “coonery lives on a farm” shit 10 mins ago.

62. Big_seth aka Bruce Bamma Says:

NEW POST NEGROES

63. 911 Says:

Gaddafi is going in during his U.N speech, said the swine Flu was made in a lab, pardon implied. Pointing out flaws in how none of the permenant members follow any of the rules and are the propietors of many of the wars.

This > reality tv