Video: DJ Premier on Working With Royce, Sample Clearance Issues + New Projects

Here’s the second part of John Public’s talk with Preeemo.

Exclusively first at KevinNottingham.com! In Part 2 of 3, Premier talked about what makes Royce Da 5’9 such a special emcee, and how their chemistry in the lab made recording the album a welcome step back in time. And while the writing/recording might have been easy, Premier also talked about a track produced by D-12’s Mr. Porter that didn’t make the cut because of sample clearance issues and the TWO songs that replaced it. Check the segment when he discusses his new projects and where you can see him spin in NYC. Preme!

Previously: DJ Premier Talks Royce Da 5′9 + BET Cipher w/ Eminem, Mos Def & Black Thought

52 Responses to “Video: DJ Premier on Working With Royce, Sample Clearance Issues + New Projects”

1. bk2lv Says:

Premier >

LF: I’d smash judge Judy *straight face*

Premier >

^ no argument here.

4. Zee!! Says:

LF: Premier is actually from Houston….does that make him a bamma?

5. Charles Oakley Says:

9 times out of 10 the 9’s on me

6. Harlem World Says:

Just Blaze>>>>>>>>>

7. Beezy Says:

LOL @ “top lip sweats”

8. Rey Says:

N.W.H. >>>>>

This > The camp lo song Rigz posted

youtube.com/watch?v=j0VP_4neA_k

10. AmpGeez a.k.a Roll That S#!t, Light That S#!t, Smoke That S#!T Says:

Just has been more “All The Above” then “Show Me What You Got” recently with “Exhibit A” as the exception..

That D.O.A. shit grazed alotta cats, Justin being one of em.

11. Zee!! Says:

When is that Preme + Royce album dropping? Neveruary 32nd?

12. NovemberEnd Says:

# Zee!! Says:
    September 17th, 2009 at 3:08 pm

LF: Premier is actually from Houston….does that make him a bamma?
    ^^^^^^
    NOPE

13. Legend Says:

*Primo stans it up*

14. NovemberEnd Says:

Nas over Preemo >>>>>

15. A tribe called quest aka Yo Lurker, Im really happy for you & imma let you finish, but my comment is one of the greatest comments of all time Says:

I’ll never forget going to the primos noisemakers back in December. Hilarious

Shout out howie

lol @ me shouting out dude everytime i mention this

16. Harlem World Says:

That D.O.A. shit grazed alotta cats, Justin being one of em.

Jigga lost anyway. Who else has jay got better chemistry with than Just!? (no homo intended).

17. Rey Says:

# AmpGeez a.k.a Roll That S#!t, Light That S#!t, Smoke That S#!T Says:
    September 17th, 2009 at 3:13 pm

That D.O.A. shit grazed alotta cats, Justin being one of em.

Which lines were shots at Just Blaze? I don’t think I caught that.

18. AmpGeez a.k.a Roll That S#!t, Light That S#!t, Smoke That S#!T Says:

That D.O.A. shit grazed alotta cats, Justin being one of em.

Jigga lost anyway.
    ===========================
    Jigga lost?

Justin lost too. He got blackballed on BP3.

Both of them niggas got bitchass tendencies so I don’t know who to fault.

But BP3 is the ultimate loser.

19. bk2lv Says:

M.O.P. over premier >>>>> Nas over Preemo >>>>> everyone else

20. Charles Oakley Says:

50 Cent’s flow on As the World Turns >>>>>>

21. AmpGeez a.k.a Roll That S#!t, Light That S#!t, Smoke That S#!T Says:

Which lines were shots at Just Blaze? I don’t think I caught that.
    =========================================
    There weren’t any specifics, but Justin has been using auto0tune heavy recently.

22. RIGZ Says:

Tribe u obviously missed the part where I said in the last 3-4 years

smh & lol @ u dropping track off Jewelz as a trump card…pulling 12 / 13 year old classics out the bag? LOL what part of the game is that? lol

23. Zee!! Says:

I used to think Just got the shaft (nh) at Roc-a-fella when they started putting out more production from Ye, when clearly around that time JB was putting out straight Ka-rack.

24. Gravity Says:

Those are the dudes that you wanna punch in the face during an argument.. cause they don’t even have any good points or proof to back up what they’re saying, they just clown around.

sweartoGod, this nigga had me ready to break som’n.. they usually hav a shrieking eerie laught to match too…. say some shit like”yo, for real tho’, Hov got some fat ass lips… nheee nhee, nhaa haha heeeng hong…

@ Iceberg, I was just about to quote the lines you posted^.

25. RIGZ Says:

shout out cOLD

26. bk2lv Says:

*curses Ryan Fagsly face* get off my screen

27. AmpGeez a.k.a Roll That S#!t, Light That S#!t, Smoke That S#!T Says:

50 Cent’s flow on As the World Turns >>>>>>
    ================================
    Power Of The Dollar >>>>

Near classic album. I wonder what woulda happened to Fif if he never got popped?

28. Big Homie Says:

twitpic.com/i2p41

Figure ya’ll would get a kick out of this

29. A tribe called quest aka Yo Lurker, Im really happy for you & imma let you finish, but my comment is one of the greatest comments of all time Says:

Tribe u obviously missed the part where I said in the last 3-4 years

–youtube.com/watch?v=falp3jzyOOQ

boom how that taste

30. Rey Says:

# AmpGeez a.k.a Roll That S#!t, Light That S#!t, Smoke That S#!T Says:
    September 17th, 2009 at 3:20 pm

Which lines were shots at Just Blaze? I don’t think I caught that.
    =========================================

Hmm… Aside from the singles Just has done I haven’t heard much. Just is awesome but I didn’t miss him on BP3.

31. NovemberEnd Says:

is Kanye the GOAT rapper/producer?

32. bk2lv Says:

Zee!! Says:

September 17th, 2009 at 3:20 pm

^^^^^

yeah i dont think Just ever wanted to conform to the machine that was the ROC…. and everyone was getting Just beats at the time so Hov knew kanyes would surprise heads (none)

33. RIGZ Says:

May sound blasphemous, but sometimes, Fizzy Womack > Premier

word to Calm Down

Fame’s production game is slept on.

34. AmpGeez a.k.a Roll That S#!t, Light That S#!t, Smoke That S#!T Says:

==========================================
    But Justin was always in competition with Kanye. Always. And he’s done more work with Jay then Kanye.

If anything, I could see Kanye putting the bug in Jay’s ear to let him do most of BP3.

35. A tribe called quest aka Yo Lurker, Im really happy for you & imma let you finish, but my comment is one of the greatest comments of all time Says:

youtube.com/watch?v=syO2S19IsJM&feature=related

36. Gravity Says:

*daps Amp*,

jay z did record a diss track after pac said his name… it wasn’t released b’cos of his untimely death….

37. Beezy Says:

yo where that nigga Legend go…light that shit the fuck up man

38. A tribe called quest aka Yo Lurker, Im really happy for you & imma let you finish, but my comment is one of the greatest comments of all time Says:

youtube.com/watch?v=shtlaKe5IDg

yo yo redman wtf man

39. RIGZ Says:

–youtube.com/watch?v=falp3jzyOOQ

boom how that taste

PAUSE. lol

But I see you…and raise you THIS

youtube.com/watch?v=G7bnvWLkz_g

40. Big Homie Says:

yo where that nigga Legend go…light that shit the fuck up man

^ Just say no

41. AmpGeez a.k.a Roll That S#!t, Light That S#!t, Smoke That S#!T Says:

jay z did record a diss track after pac said his name… it wasn’t released b’cos jay didn’t wanna end up like Biggie.

*fixed

Still, he jacked Pac’s “Me & My Girlfriend” knowing the nigga Pac ain’t fuck with him.

42. Rey Says:

@ Amp– He said as much tho’, that he gave Jay a beat CD and was like, “Here’s the album”.

~~~~

# NovemberEnd Says:
    September 17th, 2009 at 3:23 pm

is Kanye the GOAT rapper/producer?

*senses trap*

*fuck it*

Easily. More albums, more creative, etc etc..

43. Big_seth Says:

What songs did Just use Autotune on?

besides these Jay Elec tracks I aint heard him since KC & Game’s shit.

44. RIGZ Says:

Oh, you drawing for Reggie, Tribe?

*pulls BIGGER gun out (no)*

youtube.com/watch?v=o8EB3rKcGy8

45. Mr. Iceberg Slim Says:

***blank stare****

46. Big_seth Says:

Rey Says:
    September 17th, 2009 at 3:28 pm

Yeah & Jay was like nah, hold on. let me think about this. He probably didn’t so it because he don’t want niggas telling him what to do. LOL. on some ol’ “I’m the boss so I’m gonna call timmy for some lukewarm beats.”

^ Pacs me and my girlfriend was an ode to his pistol. Jay’s not so much

48. AmpGeez a.k.a Roll That S#!t, Light That S#!t, Smoke That S#!T Says:

Maino’s “All The Above” had Justin on it before they got T-Pain, that new Saigon joint has Just on the hook and a buncha joints Justiin was working on on MegatronDon had him using auto tune on the hook.

He was even toying with the idea of a Red 5ive album.

49. A tribe called quest aka Yo Lurker, Im really happy for you & imma let you finish, but my comment is one of the greatest comments of all time Says:

PAUSE. lol

But I see you…and raise you THIS

youtube.com/watch?v=G7bnvWLkz_g

–Not bad not bad.. Boom!

youtube.com/watch?v=OsIu8RN7ivU

say what you want about mobbdeep, but Prodigy = the only nigga relevant at the time that answered back to snoop crushing the buildings.

51. AmpGeez a.k.a Roll That S#!t, Light That S#!t, Smoke That S#!T Says:

=====================================
    Mobb Deep still put their Pac diss out there.

I never heard that Jay song.

“Son, they shook…”

52. Nah Right » Video: DJ Premier Talks Origins of HeadQuarterz & The Limp Bizkit Collab Says:

[…] DJ Premier on Working With Royce, Sample Clearance Issues + New Projects | DJ Premier Talks Royce Da 5′9 + BET Cipher w/ Eminem, Mos Def & Black […]