Video: Drake Talks Working With Pharrell, So Far Gone Follow-up

Shouts to Shaheem for the heads up.

“I just gotta get this tour knocked out,” he said earlier this week, smiling about going on the road as part of the America’s Most Wanted Music Festival, which will feature Lil Wayne, Soulja Boy Tell’em and Young Jeezy.

“I am working on [the album] right now. I’ve actually started. I was in the studio with Pharrell, and it’s basically a pretty lax process for us.

“Basically, So Far Gone worked,” he continued, talking about his strategy for the highly anticipated LP. “So, let’s just try to do it again. You know, let’s try and act as if we were making a second disc to So Far Gone. Picking up on things I feel So Far Gone missed out on. Taking away things that people liked but didn’t respond to as much as they did to Best I Ever Had, Uptown, or the joint with Trey [Successful]. There were specific things on that mixtape that I know unanimously people loved and certain things that people didn’t necessarily understand. So basically, I’m just trying to find the strongest points off So Far Gone and basing the album off that.”

via MTV

70 Responses to “Video: Drake Talks Working With Pharrell, So Far Gone Follow-up”

1. A tribe called quest aka The Latin Teddy Ruxpin Says:

So is he really an “independent artist” or is he just saying that for cool points

2. dominica Says:

we waited two hours on a new post and we’re treated to Drake!
    fuck outta here

3. Ghost Writer Says:

You niggas can’t be serious about this Max B guy…the guy is like the New York Gucci Mane….just catchy hooks with zero lyrics

# E AKA THE REAL NORIEAGA Says:
    July 2nd, 2009 at 8:37 pm

I wish Max and Peedi would’ve made some songs before Max got locked up

^I swear on everything that I’ve been sayin’ that for at least 3 months (at least in my mind, anyways). It seems like their styles would compliment one another in the booth.

5. The Shot Clock aka Guns is me Says:

i love it when the natives revolt

*flips abandoned car with fellow Nahggz*

6. Guns Is Mr. Papagiorgio Says:

drake album might do 500K first week out. . . .

7. Ghost Writer Says:

dominica Says:

July 2nd, 2009 at 8:46 pm
    we waited two hours on a new post and we’re treated to Drake!
    fuck outta here

I don’t get this…you lost for sitting around a computer for 2 hours

# Ghost Writer Says:
    July 2nd, 2009 at 8:47 pm

^Stop it. Max B has hooks, flow, charisma, and actually some pretty tough bars. He’s a grimy, East Coast version of Devin the Dude. And I have yet to hear someone say that Dev is “wack” based solely on his style.

9. Guns Is Mr. Papagiorgio Says:

shaheem reid looks like he smells like onion gravy.

10. Guns Is Mr. Papagiorgio Says:

I don’t get this…you lost for sitting around a computer for 2 hours

*dead*

11. dominica Says:

Ghost Writer Says:
    July 2nd, 2009 at 8:48 pm
    dominica Says:

July 2nd, 2009 at 8:46 pm
    we waited two hours on a new post and we’re treated to Drake!
    fuck outta here

I don’t get this…you lost for sitting around a computer for 2 hours

yea i lost cuz u just signed on 5 minutes ago

12. A tribe called quest aka The Latin Teddy Ruxpin Says:

“I still don’t fully see the fascination of the Wave, but I do understand the importance of providing the dopeboyz/girlz with what they want.

-Shake

13. b-ease Says:

Guns Is Mr. Papagiorgio Says:

July 2nd, 2009 at 8:47 pm
    drake album might do 500K first week out. . . .

I don’t know, as large as his buzz seems to be, it’s been so heavily manipulated by the TI’s that I’m not sure how large it actually is. With that said, they’re playing “U The Best” and “Every Girl” back to back on MTV Jams, and that’s a mighty good look. If he has another hit in him, 500K is possible. If not, we’re looking at something signifigantly less.

# eskay Says:
    July 2nd, 2009 at 8:44 pm

>>shows how far rap has fallen that motherfuckers think this shit is HIGHLY anticipated

nah that niggas care more about Max B than SH shows how far rap has fallen.

^I think YOU’RE the only person who’s interpreting it that way. As Bigavel fans we just want our just due, that’s all. I read and overstand your explanation for why you didn’t post it. But you know that’s not good enough (no innuendo).

Somebody get Al Sharpton on the horn…

>>I don’t get this…you lost for sitting around a computer for 2 hours

nah, keep sitting, keep leaving dumb ass comments, keep stanning for Max, and most importantly, keep hitting refresh nigga!!!

16. dominica Says:

no wonder rap is where it is…
    the listeners don’t understand metaphors.

bernard

What it is?

18. The Shot Clock aka Guns is me Says:

they gon turn Drake into Britney Spears if he aint careful

*daps Pap, brother in arms (n)*

19. A tribe called quest aka The Latin Teddy Ruxpin Says:

I wish Max and Peedi would’ve made some songs before Max got locked up

–I’ll vouch for this

20. b-ease Says:

D. Billz Says:

July 2nd, 2009 at 8:49 pm
    # Ghost Writer Says:
    July 2nd, 2009 at 8:47 pm

I don’t know Billz, I think the Gucci Mane comparison is pretty apt. I’ve never heard Max compose a linear narrative in the Devin style. And as funny as Max is, its obnoxious funny, not clever/tongue in cheek funny, which is Devin’s specialty.

21. b-ease Says:

My apololgies

*daps The Mayor, Pap, Ghost, and all nahggers lurking*

>>As Bigavel fans we just want our just due, that’s all.

so what’s ya’ll just due? a Max post? to be honest, I had every intention of posting the shit, as did Dre, but then the same people (not you) who stan so hard for Max are the same people who talked so much shit that Dre deleted the post. ya’ll niggas know we support Max, but at the end of the day, not posting one Max mixtape ain’t gonna hurt this site one bit.

23. dominica Says:

eskay Says:
    July 2nd, 2009 at 8:51 pm
    >>I don’t get this…you lost for sitting around a computer for 2 hours

first off i don’t even like Max B
    i just didn’t get how you post Terry Kennedy and defend that shit

24. b-ease Says:

The Shot Clock aka Guns is me Says:

July 2nd, 2009 at 8:52 pm
    they gon turn Drake into Britney Spears if he aint careful

Word. I’m telling you, all this net/MTV hype could be the worst thing that happened to dude. Attention spans for pop culture get shorter every day. If this dude doesnt drop a classic (which I’m certainly not banking on), his career could be over before it actually begins.

25. R.J.Orion Says:

seriously … that wasnt really a picture of his mom was it? …

if it was, my condolences …

26. b-ease Says:

D. Billz Says:

July 2nd, 2009 at 8:52 pm
    bernard

What it is?

Aint shit cheif. Debating whether or not to hit that AFRAM this weekend, you headed out there?

>>i just didn’t get how you post Terry Kennedy and defend that shit

clearly you can’t read, so go run and get somebody to read this sentence to you:

TK does not = Fly Society

28. b-ease Says:

chief > cheif

29. Ghost Writer Says:

D. Billz Says:

July 2nd, 2009 at 8:49 pm
    # Ghost Writer Says:
    July 2nd, 2009 at 8:47 pm

See I love hip hop for a different reason…I respect the cats that actually take their time to write good concepts and be creative….the whole catchy hooks with the same concepts just on a different beat but let me add girls in the hook this time and call it different don’t cut it for me…

30. E AKA THE REAL NORIEAGA Says:

yeah it just seems like a natural combination

oh well, at least I got to hear a Max B and Chingo Bling collabo

# b-ease Says:
    July 2nd, 2009 at 8:53 pm

D. Billz Says:

July 2nd, 2009 at 8:49 pm
    # Ghost Writer Says:
    July 2nd, 2009 at 8:47 pm

^Lol @ comparing brands of humor. It’s like comparing Friends to Martin. And I think his narratives are overshadowed by his harmonies.

32. dominica Says:

# Ghost Writer Says:
    July 2nd, 2009 at 8:58 pm

D. Billz Says:

July 2nd, 2009 at 8:49 pm
    # Ghost Writer Says:
    July 2nd, 2009 at 8:47 pm

^I like both though (no P Diddy), which is why I can embrace his music because his personality reminds of people that I’ve been/be (mostly “been”) around, except he actually has the gift to turn street life and crude humor into crafty songs, imo.

34. E AKA THE REAL NORIEAGA Says:

Max makes good summertime music, I don’t think he’s some savior of music or anything but he’s like a NY version of Sugar Free

35. Guns Is Mr. Papagiorgio Says:

*daps Pap, brother in arms (n)*

guns is us.

# b-ease Says:
    July 2nd, 2009 at 8:56 pm

D. Billz Says:

July 2nd, 2009 at 8:52 pm
    bernard

What it is?

^I reside in the District now and gave my younger cousin my whip so if I go I will have to plan the commute.

37. b-ease Says:

I like both though (no P Diddy),

*dead*

*dapz the bredren*

39. The Shot Clock aka Guns is me Says:

its kinda like black eyed peas
    when they first dropped they were killing it
    then they copped fergie and the meth crowd
    and mtv2 started playing them
    next thing you know….they pulling publicity stunts
    with Perez Hilton.

but I think BEP wanted that kinda success…and you know what? maybe Drake wants that kinda success too, who knows.

the shitty thing is, he cant really come with another mixtape and try some new shit. the world is watchin now and theres no room for error cos of all this hoopla

# E AKA THE REAL NORIEAGA Says:
    July 2nd, 2009 at 9:02 pm

^Bingo

41. A tribe called quest aka The Latin Teddy Ruxpin Says:

*Aims Lasers at Nah Right*

*Pew Pew*

42. b-ease Says:

^I reside in the District now

Whaaattt?? You switched sides?? Pause. But seriously, what prompted the change? And what part of the city are you in? Pause again. Might have a cookout to attend in the District on Sunday, I’ll let you know.

43. Ghost Writer Says:

*daps b-ease*

44. FRANCOIS Says:

>>>Nahright Chairs

Q: What is the criteria that an artist must satisfy in order to have his work posted on here? [just curious] or is there no criteria at all and you guys just try to show love to as many artists as you can as fans of the music?

45. Dre Says:

>>the world is watchin now and theres no room for error cos of all this hoopla

nah he had some room for error but he pretty much used up that up this week. he can’t afford too many more missteps.

46. Ghost Writer Says:

E AKA THE REAL NORIEAGA Says:

July 2nd, 2009 at 9:02 pm

Yeah I agree..

# eskay Says:
    July 2nd, 2009 at 8:54 pm

>>As Bigavel fans we just want our just due, that’s all.

^You ol’ “hey class, because of your classmate wiping boogers on chairs the pizza party is cancelled”, lookin’ ass nigga.

But yeah, I get it.

48. The Shot Clock aka Guns is me Says:

*waits for YN to sell RapRadar to the white man (c) Bob Johnson*

49. Dre Says:

# eskay Says:
    July 2nd, 2009 at 8:54 pm e

>>As Bigavel fans we just want our just due, that’s all.

_________________________________________________

Reposted cuz it looks like yall missed it.

# FRANCOIS Says:
    July 2nd, 2009 at 9:08 pm

>>>Nahright Chairs

^I don’t know what’s the exact criteria. But yall gotta take a number after Joe88.

Reposted cuz it looks like yall missed it.

^Thanks, Smithers.

52. A tribe called quest aka The Latin Teddy Ruxpin Says:

*waits for YN to sell RapRadar to the white man (c) Bob Johnson*

–Please dont compare BET to Nah right, I still plan on visiting here.

53. b-ease Says:

nah he had some room for error but he pretty much used up that up this week

The realest shit you ever wrote.

54. G7 Says:

Ghost Writer Says:

July 2nd, 2009 at 8:47 pm

====
    co-sign. glad i’m not the only one thinking this.

55. Ghost Writer Says:

Yo that Drake video is full of ass and titties….I like it, na I love it…

56. The Shot Clock aka Guns is me Says:

*waits for YN to sell RapRadar to the white man (c) Bob Johnson*

–Please dont compare BET to Nah right, I still plan on visiting here.

comprehension fail

57. The Shot Clock aka Guns is me Says:

Thanks, Smithers.

rofl for 2 reasons

58. b-ease Says:

Ghost Writer Says:

July 2nd, 2009 at 9:12 pm
    Yo that Drake video is full of ass and titties….I like it, na I love it…

Yea…he took the New Work Out Plan video and turned it up to 11 on some Spinal Tap shit. But based on what I’m hearing, he may have acutally alienated some of his burgeoning female fan base with the vid. But hey, all pub is good pub right? Right?

59. A tribe called quest aka The Latin Teddy Ruxpin Says:

Waffle, word that is a fail. Fuck raprader.

*Still laughs at it being top 10 blog site in first 3 months of existence*

Payola was def involved there

# b-ease Says:
    July 2nd, 2009 at 9:07 pm

^I reside in the District now

^ *dies* @ the disclaimers. The gov’t started callin’ me again hardbody, and like Pookie I couldn’t resist. What’s funny is that after I accepted the gig, agencies in Philly, So Cal and another area called me less than a week afterward. I was kinda heated because I would’ve taken those to get outta MD. But shit happens for a reason. Plus I have a side venture and the local market (B’more) is conducive so I’m iight with it.

And FTR, there will be no conforming over here. I’m uptown (Petworth). I see these niggas rockin’ kufis and not a nare nigga is Muslim (to my knowledge). Fuckin New Balances everywhere and Washington Nationals fitteds. Kinda repulsive.

I need that orange & black pronto.

61. b-ease Says:

Payola was def involved there

Yea, pussy payola. YN’s wife is the (now former) editor-in-chief of Vibe.

62. Dre Says:

>>Payola was def involved there

It is a top 10 site for sure.

But for the sake of arguement, payola? When your wife is the EIC? lmao

I liked the “take that D” joke he was sayin’ to the chicks in the huddle. Innuendos FTW. Other than that, I’ve already heard the song enough to wanna headbutt a brick wall.

64. Ghost Writer Says:

b-ease Says:

July 2nd, 2009 at 9:14 pm
    Ghost Writer Says:

July 2nd, 2009 at 9:12 pm
    Yo that Drake video is full of ass and titties….I like it, na I love it…

Ah they’ll get over it…by the next single they’ll love him again…

65. J Says:

The Joint with Lloyd isn’t ‘Successful’ It was ‘Night off’…

Trey songz and Wayne was ‘Successful’

66. Geronimo Newton Says:

# Ghost Writer Says:
    July 2nd, 2009 at 8:47 pm

^^^^^
    My God, I thought I was the only one who felt this way…..lol

67. Day-Day Says:

thee track with lloyd is “a night off”. succesful was with trey songz.

68. DJ Sil3nt Says:

“Ever Had, Uptown, or the joint with Lloyd [Successful]. ”

Was I the only one that noticed that they said Lloyd when it was Trey Songz? lol

69. V.I Says:

PHARREL + DRAKE = HOT SUMMER

70. AK (TeamSupreme Music) Says:

…or the joint with Lloyd [Successful]

Isn’t ‘the joint with Lloyd’ called A Night Off? Trey Songz is the guy on Successful.