Heltah Skeltah – The Midnight Madness Remix EP

the-midnight-madness-remix-ep-lo-res

Interested? Hit the jump for the back story behind this, an imeem Player and the poster for the original Midnight Madness flick.

P!

Basically, my entire idea behind doing this record from jump was based off the cult 80s movie “Midnight Madness”. As a kid, this was one of my favorite movies. I thought the concept was just ill- it revolved around an all night scavenger hunt coined “The Great All-Nighter” spearheaded by this zany ass dude named Leon. This movie also features a young Michael J. Fox making his big screen debut. The game demands that its participants must gather odd objects and decipher riddles to figure out where the finish line is. The first group there, wins. However, the competitors, who consist of geeks, jocks and snobs, just might kill each other before they find a single clue. I always thought it would be ill to make a hip-hop parody based off this movie. I reached out to Heltah Skeltah and explained to them what I was looking for which was basically a real street interpretation of the movie’s synopsis from the vantage point of Ruck & Rock.

Although I was very pleased with the original version as featured on The Foundation, I thought it would be dope to drop an EP of remixes that showcase the beat making skill of many up-coming producer’s while also delivering their own interpretation of the theme of the record. I first reached out to the homey M-Phazes about this project and my goal here was to expand on the original version by rendering a remix that used elements from the movie. I sent Phazes the movie’s theme song and there was this really ominous sound in the very beginning- it didn’t even occur to me to sample that (hence why I’m not a producer), but Phazes used that sound as the center piece to his remix. He stamped his signature drums and bassline around the sample and came up with something really dope. From the rhymes to the beat, this remix is a modern day hip-hop parody to one of my favorite child-hood movies.

To make the cipher complete, I had the homey OK Pants hook up the artwork based off of the original movie poster from 1980. I was always a fan of 12″ and album covers that were a spin off an earlier body of work of a different genre, ie: Redman’s Dare Iz A Darkside & Funkadelic’s Maggot Brains or Young Black Teenager’s self titled debut & The Beatles Meet The Beatles (debut album). Artwork has always been an integral part of hip-hop culture and similar to how producers have resorted to using samples to provide the framework for a song, artists have drawn inspiration from the works of earlier and different genres to provide the foundation for album art. Hip-hop by and large is an amalgamation of varying cultures and in this digital age much of the culture’s essence falls by the wayside. Although it’s unfortunate, it’s still possible to carry on tradition and maintain the standards of yesteryear…The Midnight Madness Remix EP is my attempt to do just that.

midnightmadnessartwork

40 Responses to “Heltah Skeltah – The Midnight Madness Remix EP”

1. D_Block_4_Life aka heat the track up like adobo/sazon/sofrito Says:

I just let out what i thought was going to be a silent one, it let out a little trumpet-esque noise…smh at me not thinking my co-worker can’t smell it because she was on the phone…

2. Big Homie Says:

OH SHIT

P!!!!

3. D_Block_4_Life aka heat the track up like adobo/sazon/sofrito Says:

Rigz, hold on to your hat.

4. Farouq (ya thats my government) aka Nah’s Ving Rames in Baby Boy Says:

P BODY…….

sell a verse Hustle and Flow

5. Big Homie Says:

^ Does she look good? If not then, who cares? lol

# AmpGeez a.k.a. Pimpin Don’t Fail Me Now Says:
    May 15th, 2009 at 12:16 pm

Did you see that ninja talkin’ reckless?
    =======================
    Who y’all talkin’ about?

^Reed Dollarz… talkin’ about he wouldn’t pay Sheek $8K for a verse.

7. nation Says:

SEAN P!

8. Joe 88 Says:

We got ninjas in here keystyling, talking bout silent farts & what not, just another day on nah I guess

# Big Homie Says:
    May 15th, 2009 at 12:21 pm

^ Does she look good? If not then, who cares? lol

^Even if she looks good, fuck it. Don’t pull no punches.

10. D_Block_4_Life aka heat the track up like adobo/sazon/sofrito Says:

When music is blasting i can’t really smell to well….smh…i swear though…

11. Farouq (ya thats my government) aka Nah’s Ving Rames in Baby Boy Says:

I might just buy this movie on ebay. I never heard of it. Born in 81 fail

12. El feces lOco Says:

# El feces lOco Says:
    May 15th, 2009 at 12:20 pm

42 minutes to chow

Lil know fun fact: I have’nt played a video game in the 2000’s..My PS1 is still under my bed..collecting roaches.
    # Joe 88 Says:
    May 15th, 2009 at 12:20 pm

*Dead el feces still keystyling against ninjas*

Fun Fact: I use to ether feces on the regular back in the day.
    # El feces lOco Says:
    May 15th, 2009 at 12:21 pm

Non smokers be acting like they gonna live forever.
    # El feces lOco Says:
    May 15th, 2009 at 12:22 pm

# Joe 88 Says:
    May 15th, 2009 at 12:20 pm

*Dead el feces still keystyling against ninjas*

Fun Fact: I use to ether feces on the regular back in the day.

^^Don’t make me archive you ..just cause you made one smash single in 8 years…don’t get all Joe Budden on me yo…I’ll Melle Mel you son.(naw)

13. RIGZ Says:

*Joe Buddens it up*

Oh, I aint esko’s top 5 commenters of all time?!?!?!?!

ME?!?!?!?

Nigga, fuck eskay. That dude should be banned from blogging. He dont know nothing about blogs. Never mind that I’m reading he’s blog. That shit dont matter

Two-Times aint fucking with me….Who’s number 1??? I bet I’m better than that dude too

*see’s iFux is number one*

Aight…..Two-Times aint fucking with Me tho!

ME?!?!!?!?!?!?!

14. Big Homie Says:

I just hate it when Im in my office alone for a long time and soon as I let one go, someone walks in.

15. RIGZ Says:

P!

Born in 81 fail

^ 81 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

*high-fives iFux, FStylez, and BKScribe*

17. Joe 88 Says:

Reed dollarz isnt even nice, he’s the most overrated battler in recent history, who has he battled to say he’s “that” nice? Some dude in his click named Kaboom smashed this ninja with one verse, & his verses on songs & such is garbage too.

I would definently run thru that ninja (pause) put me on a track, put him on a track, I would smash that fool (pause) give us both 32 bars.

18. Jay Says:

Why y’all sleepin on that T.I. “Its All Real” track that leaked? weird ass beat but still T.I.

19. Farouq (ya thats my government) aka Nah’s Ving Rames in Baby Boy Says:

RIGZ Says:

May 15th, 2009 at 12:23 pm
    *Joe Buddens it up*

Oh, I aint esko’s top 5 commenters of all time?!?!?!?!

ME?!?!?!?

*see’s iFux is number one*

Aight…..Two-Times aint fucking with Me tho!

ME?!?!!?!?!?!?!

^^^^^^^
    *broffles*

20. brokenreciepts Says:

Audible Doctor has the best remix out of all them

21. D_Block_4_Life aka heat the track up like adobo/sazon/sofrito Says:

Are the offices in C-town on the same floor as the registers on like in the basement?

22. Farouq (ya thats my government) aka Nah’s Ving Rames in Baby Boy Says:

So I got my play cloths hoody in the mail and not for nothing its got good craftsmanship. I fuck with it

23. Joe 88 Says:

^lol

24. AmpGeez a.k.a. Pimpin Don't Fail Me Now Says:

Who the fuck is Reed Dollarz? lol

25. D_Block_4_Life aka heat the track up like adobo/sazon/sofrito Says:

registers on like in the basement?
    edit- or like in the basement

# Joe 88 Says:
    May 15th, 2009 at 12:25 pm

^Lets not forget what Meek Mill did to that nigga on that youtube clip. Talk about expose`.

27. AmpGeez a.k.a. Pimpin Don't Fail Me Now Says:

you aint a basketcase
    you flowing at half the pace
    you would’nt get no cheese in a rat race
    you more like casketface
    sayin you gettin money?
    you be on Nah all nite…and half the day
    ===========================
    Half the day?
    You part bitch, the other half is gay
    Sprawled out on your bed ass naked bumping “As We Lay”
    Comparing me to Casketface?
    I’ll erase your chest, your best bars are a waste of breath

# AmpGeez a.k.a. Pimpin Don’t Fail Me Now Says:
    May 15th, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Who the fuck is Reed Dollarz? lol

^Philly rapper.

FTR, I’m a fan of much of the local PhillyMC scene. Not as much as I used to be, though.

29. Joe 88 Says:

Play cloths is the clipse shit right?

There shit & T.I clothing line looks kinda the same. Both tight to me, i’d rock both of them. Dead at malice daughter looking at naked men on the internet

30. Mac Brown aka Montgomery Blaine (classy) Says:

Farouq (ya thats my government) aka Nah’s Ving Rames in Baby Boy Says:

May 15th, 2009 at 12:18 pm
    bout to go smoke

^^^^^^
    You smoke??

you know that fucks with your palate?? taste and shit?

nonsmokers FTW!!!!!!!!!

^^yeah…….I started back like a month ago.

Tryna quit again. My homegirl be getting on me for that shit, but oh well.

Joe88

Yo, did Bossman ever shoot a video for “My Shawty”?

*GovernmentNames blog it up*

32. D_Block_4_Life aka heat the track up like adobo/sazon/sofrito Says:

Is anyone on here anticipating the Clipse next album? No shots

# Joe 88 Says:
    May 15th, 2009 at 12:29 pm

Play cloths is the clipse shit right?

^Yeah, I fucks with Playcloths. Haven’t really seen T.I.’s clothing line. I still want that Playcloths fitted with the exclamation point on it. And that skully with the red ball on top (nh).

34. Mac Brown aka Montgomery Blaine (classy) Says:

D_Block_4_Life aka heat the track up like adobo/sazon/sofrito Says:

May 15th, 2009 at 12:30 pm
    Is anyone on here anticipating the Clipse next album? No shots

^^eh………

And I’m a clispe fan, but I’m not really

35. El feces lOco Says:

Check me out…different clothes! LOL Shout out to El Feces Loco for the Week 3 Topic

^^Awww how sweet..

I just googled “joe88,battle,elfecesloco, nahright”…and BBD NING video pops up as a return? WTF?

36. RIGZ Says:

ME?!?!?!?!!?!?????!?!?!?

~Thats about to be my shit.

Salute Joey

37. Joe 88 Says:

That sean price song that was on GTAIII is stuck in my head forever, we use to put in major hours on the first GTA for the station 2

and we gon giiiive this aaaaaaaallllll that we goooooooooooot (blow the spot) keep rising to the top

38. Joe 88 Says:

@Billz

I head bossman shot the video for that track in Cali, don’t know how much truth is in that, but they said he’s acting hollywood again, or in baltimore terms, acting like a faggy

39. AmpGeez a.k.a. Pimpin Don't Fail Me Now Says:

Fun Fact: I use to ether feces on the regular back in the day.
    ===================================
    Fun Fact: That’s not an accomplishment.

He’s a lightweight.

Talking bout how my paper stack?
    Face the facts, I keep your Mom Dukes laced with Crack
    You the type of lame to chase the cat
    I just lace the track, back on my griz, dog, you know what it is.

40. WeRLd Says:

man, ruck used to bring it man. just like the old shit he did with jedi mind, that shit was hot. this was alright.