You Only Got One Life And Shit

kanye-fader-cover-article.jpg
It’s the musical version of an Obama speech.

FADER links up with Mr. West for their latest cover story, 5 years after initially saying he could do some damage. Little did they know. They speak on a variety of topics ranging from the new album, to Pop Music, to his place in history, to Michael Jackson, to God and back to Michael Jackson being God. Here is a choice excerpt:

Do you think there are people who like your music despite themselves because it appeals to something more basic in them?
There was something about being a little kid…there was no reason why I would like something or wouldn’t like something. My mom never listened to songs that particularly appealed to me. Back then, the only songs they had for kids were made by the Muppets and shit. The songs I was listening to, I liked the melody but the information, it dealt with stuff someone went through, a real life situation. I think it takes experience to be a great poet and communicator, and as life goes on I have more and more experiences, so hopefully I’ll just get better and better. Because it’s like, how do you wanna communicate? You wanna communicate through rap? Through poetry? Through song? The thing is getting the point across, and I think in music, message and melody are the keys. It’s the reason why people teach you the ABCs with melody behind it. And [808’s & Heartbreak] is the ABCs of life and relationships.

Hit the jump for another Q&A that might give you some insight in the creation of this last album.

Getting back to the idea of purity, you finished this album in three weeks. Are you creating without thinking about it as much now?
Yeah, but when you say don’t think about it… People say, “He’s a pop singer now,” and I’m like, Yes, correct! They’re like, “It sounds like he wrote this in five minutes,” and I’m like, You’re right, it took me five minutes! Is something better if it took five years than if it took five minutes? I feel like all the words are in you, you’re just blocking yourself, you’re blocking your creativity. Society has put up so many boundaries, so many limitations on what’s right and wrong that it’s almost impossible to get a pure thought out. It’s like a little boy, looking at colors, and no one told him what colors are good, before somebody tells you you shouldn’t like pink because that’s for girls. Why would anyone pick blue over pink? Pink is obviously a better color. Everyone’s born confident, and everything’s taken away from you. So many people try to put their personality on someone else. Especially me, they try to suggest what I should do. What I want people to realize at this point is, I don’t give a fuck. That’s why I made this album. I’m using Auto-Tune because I don’t give a fuck. I like the way it sounds. This is the way I’ma put my shit up, this what I like the most. You can’t deny me, you cannot deny Wayne, you cannot deny Pain. T-Pain taught me a lot. He just brought a whole vibe and energy when he came down to Hawaii, he was constantly expressing himself.

Link: FADER 58: Kanye West Cover Story and Interview

When I was sitting in the studio in Hawaii and I asked somebody for the number to the hotel and they were like, “808-duh duh duh” because Hawaii’s area code is 808. And we just randomly do the whole album in Hawaii. I’m not trying to be all weirdo, connect the constellations like that, but this shit is too meant to be.

112 Responses to “You Only Got One Life And Shit”

1. Mr. Papagiorgio Says:

i took offense to his dislike of the way we conduct business on nah. . .

^He think he special.

clark?

or your boy pap geezy?

# Mr. Papagiorgio Says:
    November 25th, 2008 at 9:19 pm

how i handle them folks?/ bakin soda approach/ approach them mothafuckas with the arm AND hammer

tell me freeway ain’t one hit away. . . . .

^He’s already top 5 in my book.

# Mr. Papagiorgio Says:
    November 25th, 2008 at 9:20 pm

i took offense to his dislike of the way we conduct business on nah. . .

^He think he special.

clark?

or your boy pap geezy?

^I’m talkin’ about the nigga who keeps tellin’ us he did beats for Camel.

Thanksgiving must be torture for Kent’s family. Niggas got gather around and here that same… fuckin’… story. Whole family fallin’ asleep BEFORE dinner.

4. yr momz Says:

his place in history… wow, future history books are going to be more fucked up than the past.

that was a puff piece, wouldn’t be surprised if he edited it.

5. Mr. Papagiorgio Says:

*daps billz*

i just found out my homegirl that hooped for georgetown is out in fuckin finland playin ball!

jesus christ, that might as well be saturn. . . .

6. TheCo!!inB Says:

Big Tymer album skits >
    “Ya rubber neckin! Ya looka whooin! Ya Peepin ’round the corner!”

7. Mr. Papagiorgio Says:

*DEAD*

8. A tribe called quest Says:

yr momz Says:
    November 25th, 2008 at 9:26 pm

that was a puff piece, wouldn’t be surprised if he edited it.
    —————————————————————————–

Hes already made 4 great and/or classic albums. Cant argue with success

9. A tribe called quest Says:

Mr. Papagiorgio Says:
    November 25th, 2008 at 9:28 pm

*DEAD*

—————————————————————————

lmao

10. nation Says:

>> “so there we were, i’m tellin big i already gave the beat to jay, and big ain’t havin. . . . he wants that beat. . . “

LOL

11. Mr. Papagiorgio Says:

Number One
    Pop Life: Kanye West / The Stills / Rza / Fiona Apple / Loretta Lynn / John Mayer / Dizzee Rascal / Fya / The Coral / Tego Calderon / Laptop / Amp Fiddler / Black Eyes / Cesaria Evora / Chromeo / Gin Palace / Ikara Colt / Stephin Merritt / Vietnam / The Decemberists / Portfolio: Afghanistan / Lowlife 2003

20 names from that fader cover from 03, and only two are big today (kanye and john mayer)

fader, your music taste sucks.

^ *bored family member interjects*

“So yall know Travis get out in January”

Whole Family: “well alright”… “that’s what’s up”… “I heard his baby muhva got dat new post office job”… “mmm hmm, his son lil’ Tayvon gettin’ biiiiiig”… “aint he though?”

Clark Kent: *single tear falls*

13. yr momz Says:

not questioning his pop culture achievements, but that interview is slanted to kanye’s ego to the max – it’s more of a bad look on fader for the mickey mouse questions.

14. nation Says:

Cesaria Evora

^ she been big

15. Mr. Papagiorgio Says:

“So yall know Travis get out in January”

Clark Kent: *single tear falls*

*clarks speaks louder*

“SO WHEN JAY PASSED BIG A PAD, AND BIG WAS LIKE ‘NAH, I DON’T WRITE’, AND JAY WAS LIKE ‘I DON’T WRITE EITHER. . . .”

“clark, lower your voice!”

“c’mon ma, this the good part. . . . . ”

then the whole family, in unison:

“and that’s when they recognized each other’s greatness!”

16. yr momz Says:

Number One

fader, your music taste sucks.

^^^^^

fader’s mission is to cover boarder-line artists… not that i’m sticking up for that rag… we call the poseurs ‘faders’

17. nation Says:

^ dead

18. rusty Says:

comments on nah right are so fucking weird

you dumb asses don’t make sense

eskay i love the site though

19. Mr. Papagiorgio Says:

Cesaria Evora

^ she been big

uh uh.

20. yr momz Says:

and i couldn’t walk any place this past year without bumping into chromeo

# Mr. Papagiorgio Says:
    November 25th, 2008 at 9:35 pm

“So yall know Travis get out in January”

Clark Kent: *single tear falls*

*clarks speaks louder*

“clark, lower your voice!”

“c’mon ma, this the good part. . . . . ”

then the whole family, in unison:

“and that’s when they recognized each other’s greatness!”

^ *heart failure*

22. Mr. Papagiorgio Says:

^ dead

LMAO @ nate!

you laugh b/c you probably know that damn story by heart, too. . . . .

LF: Lil’ Fizz clowning Omarion is the funniest shit ever.

24. yr momz Says:

actually, the writing from fader used to be way better, too

25. Mr. Papagiorgio Says:

LF: Lil’ Fizz clowning Omarion is the funniest shit ever.

link please?

26. pfunktheking Says:

what was that la the darkman lyric some one quoted earlier today

he said something like

my life is like a james bond flick
    mad bitches mad bullets
    but i never get hit

what song is that from???

Pap

28. Mr. Papagiorgio Says:

Pap

this nigga does the omarion voice PERFECTLY!!!

hahahahahahaha!!!

this nigga does the omarion voice PERFECTLY!!!

^Yeah mean?! I fuckin’ DIIIIIIIED fam. That grew fell apart and took a turn for the worse.

-Omarion went solo and got an ego
    -Razz B’s a homo
    -Fizz is semi-thuggin’
    – I don’t even remember the other lil’ nigga name but he look like Cam’ron

That group fell apart*

31. Mr. Papagiorgio Says:

-Fizz is semi-thuggin’

and SMH @ the nigga lookin like cam’ron. . . all them niggas like 5’7″

>>how that nigga the hardest [ll] [ll] one out the group!!! (had to double paws that one)

^Yo, Cali, especially L.A., is strange like that. It fuck around and be some Ricky Fontaine lookin’ ass nigga who be in the lo-lo with the burner on his lap.

33. Mr. Papagiorgio Says:

yea, you my e-best friend now, billz. . . .

ricky fontaine. . . pretty ricky’s what the called him. . .

i was JUST watchin that episode of martin the other day!!!

34. EnglandRepresent Says:

^^lmao.

WOOOOOOOW @ the “Brooklyn” nigga from the ATL movie is rappin’ now. Shit is outta hand.

# Mr. Papagiorgio Says:
    November 25th, 2008 at 9:59 pm

yea, you my e-best friend now, billz. . . .

ricky fontaine. . . pretty ricky’s what the called him. . .

i was JUST watchin that episode of martin the other day!!!

^LOL! Yo, I’da made Gina stay in the house. Aint no way in HELL I could have a chick leavin’ the house and embarrass me like that.

37. Mr. Papagiorgio Says:

that whole season is legendary. . . that’s the same season where momma payne bird died. . . .

and the season when martin proposed to gina.

38. nation Says:

>> you laugh b/c you probably know that damn story by heart, too. . . . .

by now, yes

39. H2 Says:

that’s a real strong statement that he made about people being born confident.

40. Latarian Milton Says:

yeezy is absolutely right. some of these songs sound like they were made in 5 minutes.

41. S.S.BlockBurner Says:

1st Single Production Wise

Mannie Fresh > Dre > Swizz

2nd Single

Kanye > Just Blaze > Pharrell

Classic Sound Ye excluded

Devin The Dude > Prem > Dilla

How THE FUCK y’all leave Fresh outta any Best producer convo!?

Fresh Like Mannie Beats (c) Hov

42. yr momz Says:

and the season when martin proposed to gina.

^^^^^

and here i thought you were only 13…
    sike

43. Mr. Papagiorgio Says:

and here i thought you were only 13…
    sike

you made a funny.

how cute.

44. Latarian Milton Says:

*makes album named 514s and Shmartmake*

*goes to Montreal*

*orders dinner at GLOBE*

*forgets the point of this post*

45. nation Says:

>> *does hoodrat things with the blonde waitress from the montreal suburbs who doesn’t speak english properly*

all too real

46. EnglandRepresent Says:

testing

47. EnglandRepresent Says:

^^lmao

48. EnglandRepresent Says:

This Nahright server is the biggest load of knackers on the Net bar none. I fockin hate this shit. If you peep the Dave Chappelle/2Pac post back from 2005 it’s a homage as to how much I want to kick Esko’s server in the bollocks.

John McCain > Eskay’s server

G.W. > Eskay’s server

49. yr momz Says:

you belong on spinemagazine

50. TheCo!!inB Says:

it’s niggas in california that look just like Pharrell that’ll shoot you (c) Bishop Lamont…..that shit is the god’s to honest truth. Niggas was fightin in the grocery store parkin lot stompin the dog shit out this nigga and he looked like he just wrapped the video for Number One with Kanye.

51. yr momz Says:

i stayed in echo park all summer and it was the latinos that looked insane with a billion tattoos on their face and day time park shootings

52. nation Says:

Cam’Ron > Biggie

53. Latarian Milton Says:

nation Says:

November 25th, 2008 at 10:20 pm

all too real

no i mean, that’s actually real. but that’s all i have to say on that topic

54. yr momz Says:

montreal > rest of canada

55. nation Says:

^ land and ty are gonna drop dead when they see this

56. Mr. Papagiorgio Says:

^ land and ty are gonna drop dead when they see this

jesus fuckin christ. . . .

was that a sonic background?!?!?!

awesome!!!

57. D_Block_4_Life Says:

Has anyone ehard the Chuck Hamilton mixtape? Consensus anyone?

58. nation Says:

>> no i mean, that’s actually real. but that’s all i have to say on that topic

okay mr. i love my wife. them hoes is so trife though, one of them smilled like garbidge so i sent her towards this guy who looked something like this

and he still got some, wtf. they don’t give a shit, it’s as if they’re not at work

59. j. caesar Says:

damn that luda album is amazing *smfh* i haven’t really listened to kanye’s album yet… heartless is good but love lockdown took awhile for it to grow on me

60. EnglandRepresent Says:

montreal > rest of canada

^^Don’t get him started…..

61. j. caesar Says:

how is toronto? i wanna go there besides montreal

62. EnglandRepresent Says:

okay mr. i love my wife.

^^lmfao!!! Get ’em.

63. yr momz Says:

‘toronto is like new york without all the stuff’

64. yr momz Says:

jesus fuckin christ. . . .

was that a sonic background?!?!?!

awesome!!!

^ ^ ^

joking, right?

65. EnglandRepresent Says:

Vancouver > rest of Canadadia off the strength of BC Bud alone.

66. nation Says:

>> Don’t get him started…..

wot? it’s true.

*drinks 3 stellas*

*takes the piss on Brixton*

67. nation Says:

>> Vancouver > rest of Canadadia off the strength of BC Bud alone.

smh, i was gonna saying something about you hip hop aggins always having to make a point of that when we have BC Bud and other shit here too

68. Mr. Papagiorgio Says:

yo, them red pit bulls was gettin it in!!!!

69. Mr. Papagiorgio Says:

jesus fuckin christ. . . .

was that a sonic background?!?!?!

awesome!!!

^ ^ ^

joking, right?

look nigga, i don’t know who you is, but i’m pap, esteemed member of the breakfast club. . .

check my morning comments, nigga.

i’m not new to this game.

70. Latarian Milton Says:

lol i do love my wife. wot’s that got to do with shit?

>>>>it’s as if they’re not at work

i’ll say. where else in the world do the waitresses take more shots than the patrons. shit’s disgusting b kinda lovely.

>>>>one of them smilled like garbidge

globe? r u sure u weren’t smelling ur homie who just came back from one of those dans kontact jawns? those shits is truly nasty. let a strip club be a strip club damn it, these quebecois broadz is trying to shag behind a half-closed curtain, i’m american i need my privacy. give me a door damn it!

anyway, the chicks serving us at the globe smelled like they just took a bath in musk. skin glistening like yung berg’s trick trick’s daughter’s chain. ahhhhhhhhhh the memories mammaries

*plots next trip to the GOAT north american party city*

71. ant Says:

i think kanye planned this whole shit….”aight ima come out with a dope pure hip hop album to get the people behind me (no pause its kanye lol) then ima start goin far left and show my true colors…i really wanna be a pop singer”

i dont agree with rappers doing poop albums…especially rappers who made a album like college dropout

72. yr momz Says:

yeah, i played sonic, too!

73. Mr. Papagiorgio Says:

yo, genres have fucked music up. . . . why can’t kanye do pop?

we only call kanye a rap artist b/c he’s black, and we wanna try to claim him. . . that nigga ain’t a rapper

he’s an entertainer who HAPPENS to know how to rap.

i applaud this man for breaking barriers and doin what he wants to do. . . it takes a lot of courage to stand so firmly behind [ll] and album that everyone said they’re gonna hate. . . .

and now everyone loves it!

74. A tribe called quest Says:

Jazzy Jeff > Mannie fresh

*straight face*

75. nation Says:

ahhhhhhhhhh the memories mammaries

^ dead

>> *plots next trip to the GOAT north american party city*

*orders a magnum can of Redbull for the homie chea*

*reads him a dope jurisprudence of the people vs. the jewish general*

76. EnglandRepresent Says:

*takes the piss on Brixton*

^^English slanguage FAIL.

Montreal is the capital of inbreeding in the world outside of Wisbech, England.

Your sister is your mother, your uncle is your brother, you all fuck one another, the inbred family, duh duh duh

77. foekist Says:

what is it about becoming successful that makes people adopt that “i’m troubled” type swag? weeye, and kanye (i know his momz passed, but come the fuck on) got it a little too. that rock star, troubled lifestyle type shit.

second of all its a shame that u get to put out this garbage kanye’s puttin out now only because he’s made a name for yourself. same with lil wayne, all wayne’s new verses are wack, no thought put into them, no more abundance of clever metaphors. i guess niggas get lazy.

78. Mr. Papagiorgio Says:

*does not understand outside-U.S. beef*

so i should never go to montreal and fuck w/ the french-canadians, huh?

79. D_Block_4_Life Says:

>>>>>

80. yr momz Says:

Montreal is the capital of inbreeding in the world

is that why atrak is autistic on a crossfader?

81. A tribe called quest Says:

ant Says:
    November 25th, 2008 at 11:02 pm

—————————————————————

again beating a dead horse, that album is genius. The only draw back is how shitty he sounds even with auto tunes.

But to go back on topic of what you were saying. maybe its true, either way it has everyone talking about him instead….

82. A tribe called quest Says:

“Montreal is the capital of inbreeding in the world”
    ————————————————————-

LOL

83. moresickaMC Says:

at least hes admitted hes pop. can hiphoppers stop cosigning his sh*t now? i mean evn hes sayin its not hiphop

84. EnglandRepresent Says:

is that why atrak is autistic on a crossfader?

^^*Doesn’t understand what you’re on about*

85. yr momz Says:

meant idiot savant

86. yr momz Says:

but autistic would be visually funnier

87. A tribe called quest Says:

idc what anyone says LEBRON JAMES IS NOT 23,

“that nigga ‘least 30” (c) will smith in bad boys 2

88. pockets Says:

so im going through the last two days worth of posts and if its a post im wondering what people think about, i scroll down to the comments and it finally occurred to me none of u fucking idiots talk about the topic of the post and just blabber about some other shit

89. yr momz Says:

we could talk about angie martinez again if you want to

90. farsideoff Says:

Or child prodigy, considering he won the World DJ championships at age 15. I’ve never seen a DJ set like his when he was touring with Kanye right after Late Registration dropped. That was when Kanye was had a 13 all woman orchestra up on stage. Man that was a good show.

91. pockets Says:

92. nation Says:

>> Montreal is the capital of inbreeding in the world outside

dead. that England is one funny muppet, sadly

> EngRep

93. pfunktheking Says:

A tribe called quest Says:
    November 25th, 2008 at 11:08 pm
    Jazzy Jeff > Mannie fresh

*straight face*

co-sign

94. nation Says:

>> ok so apparently jason statham and daniel craig are gay? oh man, statham is a badass in every movie, dude was in deathrace, etc. now picture him pounding another dude from behind thats crazy

LOL

95. D_Block_4_Life Says:

11:59 PM >

96. D_Block_4_Life Says:

Desperate Tears of Certainty >

Peace

97. PW Says:

Ye and Jigga need to lose the Truman Capote spectacles.

98. pockets Says:

^looks like papoose

or 2x, he even got shook and gave the call when he saw Dblock

99. yr momz Says:

statham = bottom

100. yr momz Says:

papoose looks like a raptor

101. Mr. Papagiorgio Says:

now picture him pounding another dude from behind thats crazy

there’s some statements that are sooooooo gay, they come full circle and don’t even seem gay anymore. . .

this is #1

102. pockets Says:

what i think the kanye grand scheme was he would use aututune EXCEPT when hes featured on fellow GOOD label artists, then he would rap how he used to in the normal voice. whcih would lead to people listening to GOOD artists.

103. pockets Says:

sooooooo gay, they come full circle

^this is #2

104. Mr. Papagiorgio Says:

blasphemy.

they fuckin with the greatest team of all time. . . .

nothing will ever compare to that ’96 Bulls squad.

105. nation Says:

Clark sought me out

^ “you see ma, Jay even admitted it himself… where’s the rewind button on this thing …”

106. Mr. Papagiorgio Says:

sooooooo gay, they come full circle

^this is #2

good point

*daps pockets*

107. yr momz Says:

western conference is weak this year so even though they’re playing alright, it’s not like they didn’t lose to the pistons last week… i’m just saying

108. ceaser paciotti Says:

based on the various comments that are left on this site I feel all of you are a little too wrapped up in this hip-hop culture, and spend your lives bantering about various individuals who DON’T give a flying fuck about you, yet couldn’t exist without your rampant stannery. nobody is real, its all an illusion of the illuminati, yet the inexorable spectacle makes for good distraction from the real issues that we have at hand within these last days of time before Jesus decides to make his guest appearance which will catch many of you off guard and in compromising situations.
    Have fun debating the intricacies that exist within the minds of self-absorbed megalomaniacs in the meanwhile. hope its worth it. cowabunga dudes!

109. Dre' Says:

I fuck with Yeezy…the second excerpt, that’s some insightful shit.

I respect the man for doing what he wants & feels, and it’s even better that the music is dope.

110. Mr.Londoner Says:

you guys are frontin, i would listen to Clark’s stories for couple years.. STRAIGHT!!

111. D to the 1 Says:

# rusty Says:
    November 25th, 2008 at 9:36 pm

comments on nah right are so fucking weird

you dumb asses don’t make sense

eskay i love the site though
    ___________________________

I second that…you need a nah right chatroom

112. nunya bizness Says: