Kanye & Common, Red & Meth Sued Over Samples

kanye-com.jpg

Billboard reports that daughter of Jazz artist Joe Farrell has filed suit against Ye, Com, Red and Meth over an allegedly uncleared sample.

The lawsuit, filed by Kathleen Firrantello in the U.S. District Court in New York, names the rappers along with various labels owned by Universal Music Group.

None of the record companies or representatives for the rappers were immediately available for comment.

The lawsuit said all the rappers used portions of Farrell’s 1974 musical composition “Upon This Rock” in three separate songs — West in “Gone,” Common in “Chi-City” and Method Man and Redman in their song “Run 4 Cover.”

Link: Kanye, Common, Method Man Sued Over Jazz Sample

In related but unrelated news, Andrew over at Fake Shore Drive got his hands on the vintage Go Getters album from Kanye, GLC, Really Doe and Arrowstar and he’s going to be posting songs one at a time. Today’s selection is: “World Record Holders.”

60 Responses to “Kanye & Common, Red & Meth Sued Over Samples”

1. Joe 88 Says:

I’m pressing charges!!!

2. Nanyanen Says:

tical!

That’s a lot of lawyers…

4. catch22 Says:

common looks like he’s sayin
    “how you just gonna sue a nigga like that?”

5. BabyDoll Says:

Joe Farrell’s daughter doesn’t like black people…

6. Eastern_Digital Says:

That Run 4 Cover came like 9 years ago…and now she wanna sue…damn!

7. pockets Says:

don’t front like you don’t know ppl who were on some regular shit 2 yrs ago and now all of a sudden they’re on that rockstar shit

^werd *puts on glitter skull belt*

8. Mark Twain Fame Says:

yeah onspot Santogold is dopeness.

*daps da mayor, Spoony, rex, DPS, joey, on spot, the rest of you mofos*

crooked I Says:

May 23rd, 2008 at 11:31 am
    got a new post up peoples, talkin bout movies n shit.

^whoopty doo! followed by *blank stare*

who is this rusty coathanger???

9. pockets Says:

common looks like he’s sayin
    “how you just gonna sue a nigga like that?”

^LMAO

ye: FAM how u gon sue me? i made the song better! FAM!

10. rex hussla Says:

Some of you motherfuckers have sampled my posts, where’s my money!!!!

11. spoonyluvs mistress Says:

^werd *puts on glitter skull belt*

^ LMFAO

what’s up MTF…I thought you missed that…good save

12. Nanyanen Says:

Mark Twain Fame Says:

May 23rd, 2008 at 11:44 am
    yeah onspot Santogold is dopeness.

*daps da mayor, Spoony, rex, DPS, joey, on spot, the rest of you mofos*

crooked I Says:

May 23rd, 2008 at 11:31 am
    got a new post up peoples, talkin bout movies n shit.

^whoopty doo! followed by *blank stare*

who is this rusty coathanger???

^^That’s the ‘crooked’ crooked eye.

13. crooked I Says:

who is this rusty coathanger???

^chill Mark, if its anything I learned on this site, is not to take things to serious.

14. catch22 Says:

where my du-rag at?

15. SpotOn Says:

Some of you motherfuckers have sampled my posts, where’s my money!!!!

^^^Yo on a serious note, Im waiting to see the 1st blog sampling law suit. Im sure it will come soon.

pockets Says:

May 23rd, 2008 at 11:41 am
    Speakin’ of dvds… I got a portable dvd player that I only used like 3 times

^shoulda just bought a laptop…thats the first thing i thought first time i saw those portable dvd joints

^Lol. I do have a laptop. That’s why I’m tryin’ to get rid of this portable dvd jumpie.

17. rex hussla Says:

On some real shit, who really gets sued in these cases: the artists, the producers, or the record labels? Ain’t it somebody’s JOB to clear samples?

18. Mark Twain Fame Says:

I’m President Charley!

19. CiCi The Intern Says:

Warrant issued for Suge Knockout Guy

I don’t think its going to be hard to find dude … since he’s been broadcasting his location to the world for the past three weeks lol

20. JC Says:

I guess Artifacts are gonna go into hiding till they catch on to them too.

wussup now muthf*cka?

21. Mark Twain Fame Says:

crooked I Says:

May 23rd, 2008 at 11:46 am
    who is this rusty coathanger???

oh fine jeez. *folds arms*

*kicks rocks*

*hits himself with a rock*

OW! FUCKIN THING SUCKS!

22. Joe 88 Says:

who is this rusty coathanger???

^chill Mark,

*Dies*

23. Nanyanen Says:

rex hussla Says:

May 23rd, 2008 at 11:48 am

That’s a major issue. A lot of producers use so little f the original song that they try to sneak it through without having to tell the label about it. U remember Preemo going off about samples on Moment of Truth?? That’s because backpacker were publishing what samples they use.

24. spoonyluvs mistress Says:

^ Karma catches up to you..I see god don’t take care of fools and babies anymore….he just said fuck it..you can’t help everybody..that’s what dude gets for letting niggas put the battery in his back

25. Mark Twain Fame Says:

spazz if you want to…

26. BabyDoll Says:

spoonyluvs mistress Says:

May 23rd, 2008 at 11:51 am

^ Karma catches up to you..I see god don’t take care of fools and babies anymore….he just said fuck it…you can’t help everybody..that’s what dude gets for letting niggas put the battery in his back WE’LL DO IT LIVE!

27. KLO Says:

Hey y’all check this out! LMFAO!!! This sh*t is madd funny

“I have a boyfriend”

tinyurl.com/3srkl5

28. catch22 Says:

the expression on Ye’s face is hilarity. got his special ed face on.
    and what the fuck is that flame retardant hoodie hes wearing?

29. spoonyluvs mistress Says:

babydoll you stoopid..yo I just saw that youtube today..bill o’ reilly got some anger issue for real…LMAO

30. spoonyluvs mistress Says:

issues*

31. Joe 88 Says:

@ KLO

Hook me up with that new ransom mixtape. Do it got “no introduction” on it?

32. BabyDoll Says:

spoonyluvs mistress Says:

May 23rd, 2008 at 11:54 am

^yes he does…ol’ angry ass racist ass rap hating muhfucka!

33. BabyDoll Says:

Peace ya’ll…off to get my nails and feet done lunch…I’ll holla if I get back in time.

34. spoonyluvs mistress Says:

^yes he does…ol’ angry ass racist ass rap hating muhfucka!

^ he kills me how he makes fun of snoop dogg….but cam got his ass { no rape…I hope}

35. catch22 Says:

bill o’ reilly got some anger issue for real…LMAO

that clip when cam and dame are on his show is priceless.
    cam keeps insigating and making bill mad.

36. crooked I Says:

that’s what dude gets for letting niggas put the battery in his back

^basically.

37. Nanyanen Says:

KLO Says:

May 23rd, 2008 at 11:52 am
    Hey y’all check this out! LMFAO!!! This sh*t is madd funny

“I have a boyfriend”

tinyurl.com/3srkl5

That’s some way to spit game
    *takes notes*

38. SpotOn Says:

I guess I should get back to work. later

39. Mark Twain Fame Says:

peace baby *goodbye hug with a pinch*

40. KLO Says:

Nanyanen Says:

May 23rd, 2008 at 11:58 am
    KLO Says:

May 23rd, 2008 at 11:52 am
    Hey y’all check this out! LMFAO!!! This sh*t is madd funny

“I have a boyfriend”

tinyurl.com/3srkl5

That’s some way to spit game
    *takes notes*

^^^^ LMFAO! yo, last clip with homie talking to the chick with the dog was PRICELESS!

41. crooked I Says:

did bill ever address and “SPIN” that footage?

42. Dem Says:

“I have a boyfriend”

tinyurl.com/3srkl5

That’s some way to spit game
    *takes notes*

^^ remeber to ask rigz or eng what show that is

44. catch22 Says:

i’m feelin that jacket common got on. (-)

45. Mark Twain Fame Says:

crooked I Says:

May 23rd, 2008 at 12:00 pm
    did bill ever address and “SPIN” that footage?

naw duke is totally ignoring it…and it’s starting to creep on other news networks and programs so hopefully someone personally calls Bill out on it…I hope.

46. Sean Coonery Says:

I like the way Kanye West dresses (nothing)

47. spoonyluvs mistress Says:

^^ remeber to ask rigz or eng what show that is

^ I also thought this shit was funny

ok I’m out ppl have a good 3 day weekend

48. G7 Says:

money so long i can blow spliffs in trial(c) jada

49. crooked I Says:

i’m feelin that jacket common got on. (-)

^yea that jackets beating!

50. crooked I Says:

ok I’m out ppl have a good 3 day weekend

^where you going, why leaving the party so early?

51. catch22 Says:

Joey IE says T.I./Shawty Lo beef is squashed. We’ll see about that…

stupidest. beef. ever.

52. Mark Twain Fame Says:

immaculate jawnt–

53. Kardee Says:

when common fixes his face like that, he looks like the nigga that raped me

54. khal Says:

“RUN 4 COVER” was the shit. i loved that beat.

55. Marcus McFly Says:

the expression on Ye’s face is hilarity. got his special ed face on.
    and what the fuck is that flame retardant hoodie hes wearing?

^^^^ haha smh…thats bape dude STEP YO GAME UP NIGGA!!!! :)

56. 40 Inch Says:

dats why u dont sample

if u ninjas could be creative then this wouldnt happen

57. sb-uno Says:

damn they probable pete rock kicks and snares originally

58. sb-uno Says:

dats why u dont sample

if u ninjas could be creative then this wouldnt happen

——————–

yeh make fuckin ring tone rap now go back in your cave homie

59. blackscene Says:

Actual sample for Chi-city

60. Neno Kali Says:

# 40 Inch Says:

“dats why u dont sample

if u ninjas could be creative then this wouldnt happen”

that’s real, star.

but on tha flip-side, some of tha jazz/soul/ol skool r’n’b that i have on HEAVY rotation i may never have run into if i couldn’t have asked, “yo! where’s THAT sample from!?!?”