Video: Pete Rock 247HH Interview

The Chocolate Boy Wonder speaks on the hip hop high, samples, and some of his favorite tracks.

108 Responses to “Video: Pete Rock 247HH Interview”

1. crazy88since88 Says:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Pete Rock need a CL joint.

3. SNORT_SNORTcrazy88since88 Says:

KLAPYATITTIES!

CS88… *dapz*

5. BabyDoll Says:

AGAIN…Good Morning Nah *daps and hugs for all*

6. Ghost Writer Says:

I’m buying the Casio Casiotone MT-40 to make beats like Pete Rock

7. SNORT_SNORTcrazy88since88 Says:

D. Billz Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 10:31 am
    CS88… *dapz*

*DAPS The Mayor*
    *daps satinDoll* (c: Richard Pryor)

8. Casual T Says:

Pete Rock need a CL joint.

arent these ninjas still not on talking terms…?

9. Soul Clapper Says:

*daps Big Homes*

Talking about Westside Connection, I couldn’t even listen to their shit. As a resolute ‘East Coaster’ in those days, I took “Bow Down” and all of that shit personally. Now I look back, it’s funny to me. Same deal with the Pac and BIG beef. I couldn’t listen to “Hit Em Up” until about 3 years ago! SMH.

10. CiCi The Intern Says:

what’s good BabyDoll, Billz … *daps*

11. b-ease Says:

whats good Billz?

^That sound like shots fired at Pac Div… who I think are lyrically potent.

lol, naw, not at all. I honestly havent heard them cats…

12. Ghost Writer Says:

AGAIN…Good Morning Nah *daps and hugs for all*

*hugs and holds for 30 sec. and counting*

*cops a feel*

*winks*

15. !Ven-Tech? Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 10:13 am
    Mack 10 is a bastard. Always the weak link in Westside Connection.

Nonsense. She pulled a gun out on Meth in Belly, told Taral to leave Earl, and punked Nas repeatedly. She prolly acted like that in real life. She was gettin her ass beat?

Prolly somethin she said…

Cici… BDoll… What it is?

b-ease… Lol, oh iight. You should go to their myspace and download their mixtape from one of their blog posts.

CasualT… yeah, they still on not-speakin’ terms.

17. b-ease Says:

arent these ninjas still not on talking terms…?

Yea, I just read an article (where escapes me right now) and Pete was still shitting on him.

18. Mark Twain Fame Says:

Baby!…whut up chica. *soooo sooo huggified*

19. icon (trillbert arenas) Says:

CasualT… yeah, they still on not-speakin’ terms.

***Pete paints it like it’s all CL’s fault, but you know there’s always 3 sides to a story….prolly just an ego clash, both ways (no Chino XL’s style)

20. Joe 88 Says:

The Chocolate Boy Wonder?

^Eskay, change that shit right now!

21. THE-XFACTA Says:

Why won’t niggas give Pete Rock his props??

22. Ghost Writer Says:

*lets out a silent one and leaves quietly*

23. b-ease Says:

Plug Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 10:18 am
    Mack 10 is a bastard. Always the weak link in Westside Connection.
    ————–
    false. that first tape was flawless. Its not possible to have a weak link on a flawless album

Extremely dope? Absolutely. West Coast Classic? Yep. Hip-Hop classic? Maybe. Flawless? No.

And even if it was flawless, U-God on Wu-Tang forever still debunks the above theory.

24. icon (trillbert arenas) Says:

Joe 88 Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 10:39 am
    The Chocolate Boy Wonder?

^Eskay, change that shit right now!

***LOL…Pete Rock is a beast on the boards, but he was one of the worst producers ever, when it came to rapping….ol’ noncharasmatic nigga (none)

25. Mark Twain Fame Says:

SNORT_SNORTcrazy88since88 Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 10:31 am
    KLAPYATITTIES!

hey dere buddy dont be taking my lingo!…*ric flair chop* WOO!

…clap your tits.

26. SNORT_SNORTcrazy88since88 Says:

!Ven-Tech? Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 10:36 am

March 26th, 2008 at 10:13 am
    Mack 10 is a bastard. Always the weak link in Westside Connection.

Prolly somethin she said…

She said he had a Lil’D*ck… He said she had a Big Pussy, Real’REAL big kid.

27. !Ven-Tech? Says:

Joe 88 Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 10:22 am
    Just sent a million dollars thru a hands free, that’s big money talk, can you answer me? Before the answer was a 3, I was down in georgetown with a hoyas chick, lawyer chick

Sure he’s rich now ’cause he saw the shit, all the shit
    that’s whay they call em Hov, because he came(-) before all the shit

28. SNORT_SNORTcrazy88since88 Says:

THE-XFACTA Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 10:39 am
    Why won’t niggas give Pete Rock his props??

*daps Professor-X*

29. b-ease Says:

THE-XFACTA Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 10:39 am
    Why won’t niggas give Pete Rock his props??

Just to be clear, I give Pete Rock all the props in the world. But in general, it could be because his reign on the top was short like leprechauns.

30. THE-XFACTA Says:

@ IKE,

You’re not feeling his ‘newer’ shit (grow up)

31. Soul Clapper Says:

Pete paints it like it’s all CL’s fault

===============================================

Ike… what’s the story here? One accusing the other of shady business? That tends to be the main reason behind a lot of big group break-up (EPMD, Main Source, NWA, State Prop, maybe soon the Wu too)

32. b-ease Says:

Co-sign. Dr. Dre would rap circles around Pete Rock.

33. THE-XFACTA Says:

*Daps C88, MTF, B-Ease, and the rest*

(Does underarm smell test)

*Hugs the ladies*

34. SNORT_SNORTcrazy88since88 Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 10:43 am

Co-sign. Dr. Dre would rap circles around Pete Rock.

Applaud The D.O.C.

35. Casual T Says:

Yeah. CL be shitting on Pete heavy (no kiny fetish bond shit).. I read that shit a whiiile ago… thats a pity though..

cant we all just get along?

leaving the lane open for wackass groups cos these grown ass men cant settle their differences..SMH..

36. icon (trillbert arenas) Says:

THE-XFACTA Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 10:42 am
    @ IKE,

You’re not feeling his ‘newer’ shit (grow up)

***Nah- I never liked his mic presence (none)…behind the boards, he’s absolutely one of the best- a legend with a distinctively dope sound….everybody ain’t ‘sposed to rap, though….
    **Daps***

Of course, nothing he’s done since even comes close to “Mecca and the Soul Brother”, but that’s a personal bias….

37. THE-XFACTA Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 10:43 am

Co-sign. Dr. Dre would rap circles around Pete Rock.

You can’t be serious duke!!! Dre doesn’t even pen his own lyrics.. If Dre had to write his own lyrics….. Dr. Seuss> Dr. Dre

38. b-ease Says:

Rapping Producers

Diamond>Dre>RZA>Puffy(circa No Way Out)>Pete Rock

39. lo k Says:

Joe 88 Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 10:28 am
    lol @ some nigga over at youtube saying max B sounds like gangstalicious from the boondocks

^^^HAHHAHA… “Do the homie, do the homie” (c) Gangstalicious

40. Soul Clapper Says:

but he was one of the worst producers ever, when it came to rapping

============================================

It was the dudes style of delivery (none?) at fault. His rhymes were written by Heavy D and Grand Puba, back in 92. I don’t know who writes his shit now.

41. Mark Twain Fame Says:

zup Facta.

Gee wiz XFacta. I see you come outta the woodworks when tryin’ to defend BX bred’ren (or anybody close to it aka Money Earnin’). Lol

March 26th, 2008 at 10:45 am
    Rapping Producers

Diamond>Dre>RZA>Puffy(circa No Way Out)>Pete Rock

^No Kanyeezy? He should be #1 just based off his mixtapes before College Dropout.

44. icon (trillbert arenas) Says:

***Nah, pretty much it had nothing to do with money- Pete Rock said that CL was just really immature, whatever that means….

45. CiCi The Intern Says:

# b-ease Says:
    March 26th, 2008 at 10:40 am:

U-God reminds me of the slow boy in school who would never be picked for a team in gym and RZA reminds me of the kid who felt some sort of pity and let him join his.

46. SNORT_SNORTcrazy88since88 Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 10:45 am
    Rapping Producers

Diamond>Dre>RZA>Puffy(circa No Way Out)>Pete Rock

No Sur! ye West = G.O.A.T. of rappin producers.

47. Plug Says:

LF: So I’m at the bar tryin to recruit some chicks for my roster. I have no brauds on my line so I was like a lion hunting elk. I’m in there wit a 5x tall tee, creased no named black jeans, new no named shoes and a skully… and du rag. I see a wavy light skinned breezy at the bar. My confidence was slightly low because I let my roster get to low. Plus I was wit some cats that had on carties and watches as big as 20 inch rims. I case the scene to see how I was gonna make my move. She was wit 3 ugmo lookin chicks. One of which fell out the chair she was so drunk. I reframed from laughing because if I did I never would be able to shoot my game. The other chick (which was enormous) got up and asked my boy for some of his chicken fingers. He played her so tough and never even turned around. The chick got mad and starts cussin my boy out. The wavy light skinned girl gets up to tell them they was too drunk. She begin to excuse herself from the bar. I follow 5 paces behind. I get to the door as she was walking out wit the ugmos and shot my game. Upon the up and close encounter, the chick was even finer than I originally thought. Chick was so bow legged, she looked like she was walkin on two 90 degree angles. I bossed up and told her girls to go ahead without her so we could talk. I spit my game and get the number. She turned out to be a well known hairdresser in the D wit massive cake.

*raises arm*

*makes fist*

*does the Tiger Woods*

48. THE-XFACTA Says:

D. Billz Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 10:46 am

—–

*Flatlines*

49. The Dunce Says:

anybody ever heard of Ayi Kwei Armah?

icon (trillbert arenas) Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 10:47 am

^That’s believable. In the AHH CL interview, he was talkin’ about smackin’ Pete Rock if he don’t send him or beats or attempt to get his album out. Paraphrasing of course, but there was mention of bodily harm. Lol

51. icon (trillbert arenas) Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 10:45 am
    Rapping Producers

Diamond>Dre>RZA>Puffy(circa No Way Out)>Pete Rock

***Kinda co-sign…you gotta put Kanye, Dilla, and Black Milk in the argument, too….maybe take P. Doofy out….

52. Lubara Simpkins Says:

The lad Pete Rock doing his thing, nuff spect. Hope him and the lad CL work it out.

53. !Ven-Tech? Says:

SNORT_SNORTcrazy88since88 Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 10:41 am

She said he had a Lil’D*ck… He said she had a Big Pussy, Real’REAL big kid.

lol, that alone is enough to knock a bitch unconscious…and I been into knockin bitches unconscious lately **speakin of which** the plot is set homie, I’ll have them photos after this weekend.

54. Plug Says:

aint nuthinlike shootin ya game when you grimey. Its the best feelin in the world if they feelin you. That means that your words and convo is on point

55. THE-XFACTA Says:

Why niggas get all excited about ‘bow-legged’ chicks? Does that make the poom-poom any better? Does it make the lips stretch sideways or something?

56. Soul Clapper Says:

==============================================

CL is immature = CL got salty because Pete was the “star” of the group

57. icon (trillbert arenas) Says:

**Hilarity

58. b-ease Says:

You can’t be serious duke!!! Dre doesn’t even pen his own lyrics..

Since his main forte is producing and not rapping, I can overlook that. And to quote SoulClapper, “his (Pete) rhymes were written by Heavy D and Grand Puba, back in 92”. Hell, with the exception of maybe RZA, I’m sure all producers on the mic have ghosts.

Speaking of producers on the mic, where the fuck are the Beatnuts? They gave Alchemist his sound if you ask me (no shots fired at AL, he’s one of the last real ones) I bought Musical Massacre used (5 bucks!) a couple weeks ago and that shit bangs (even tho it was sorta seen as their sellout move when it first dropped).

Plug Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 10:49 am

^ and then he just nodded like *this*

60. BabyDoll Says:

LOL @ MTF and Ghost…*hugs*

61. THE-XFACTA Says:

Soul Clapper Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 10:50 am

==============================================

CL is immature = CL got salty because Pete was the “star” of the group

———–

And to keep it realier, I thought CL was just avg on the mic. He totally fucked up the 2nd album they put out..

62. lo k Says:

LOL @ Plug… I’m still waiting to hear the conclusion to the tale you was tellin’ a while back about them brauds that was gettin’ nasty in yo house…

63. SNORT_SNORTcrazy88since88 Says:

!Ven-Tech? Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 10:49 am
    SNORT_SNORTcrazy88since88 Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 10:41 am

She said he had a Lil’D*ck… He said she had a Big Pussy, Real’REAL big kid.

(dR.eVIL vOICE)
    …Yourstock is rising Number 2… (pause)

64. moresickaMC Says:

# Soul Clapper Says:
    March 26th, 2008 at 10:34 am

*daps Big Homes*

I’m east but West Coast smashed the east in early 90s

65. b-ease Says:

My apologies for not including ‘Ye, who’s definetly “the best producer on the mic” (sorry Diamond).

66. SNORT_SNORTcrazy88since88 Says:

THE-XFACTA Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 10:50 am

…i cant fuck with a Bo’legged broad… she fuck up the back of the heals like that… she cant go with me, Nowhere!

Plug… Not only that… when you pick her up for the 1st time and you freshed up, she’ll be taken aback. I learned to keep my fly days to a minimum just for that simple reason alone. Can’t spoil the heffas by tryin’ to be Ricky Fontaine from day to day. Plus they feel a sense of humility around you because your demeanor changes when you’re on the day-to-day grind and lookin’ “on the half” (c) B’more slang

68. Soul Clapper Says:

Speaking of producers on the mic, where the fuck are the Beatnuts?

===========================================

Those dudes NEVER get their props. They’ve got a host of classic beats. Lyrically, I see them as the Alkaholik’s of the East.

March 26th, 2008 at 10:52 am
    You can’t be serious duke!!! Dre doesn’t even pen his own lyrics..

Since his main forte is producing and not rapping, I can overlook that. And to quote SoulClapper, “his (Pete) rhymes were written by Heavy D and Grand Puba, back in 92″. Hell, with the exception of maybe RZA, I’m sure all producers on the mic have ghosts.

^Them Vernon ninjas stick together.

70. THE-XFACTA Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 10:54 am

—————

But on the boards……

Alc > ‘Ye

71. SNORT_SNORTcrazy88since88 Says:

Soul Clapper Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 10:55 am
    Speaking of producers on the mic, where the fuck are the Beatnuts?

===========================================

shit… The Beatnuts put out good shit… thats a good question, WHERE ARE THE BEATNUTS???

(looks @ Eskay & Nation)

72. Mark Twain Fame Says:

Lubara Simpkins Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 10:49 am

*blank stare into a quick angered look*

DAMMIT!!!

*goes to grab No Country For Old Men style captive bolt pistol*

“come here for a minute will ya”

73. THE-XFACTA Says:

D. Billz Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 10:56 am

March 26th, 2008 at 10:52 am
    You can’t be serious duke!!! Dre doesn’t even pen his own lyrics..

^Them Vernon ninjas stick together.

———–

Puba’s from Na Rule I thought….

74. b-ease Says:

Dilla as well, although I’d rank him behind Diamond and Dre.

75. !Ven-Tech? Says:

Soul Clapper Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 10:55 am
    Speaking of producers on the mic, where the fuck are the Beatnuts?

===========================================

Sadly, they are not complete without Greg Nice….

*grabs jamaican bullhorn* (nope)

*pulls trigger*

OH!
    OH!
    TURN IT OUT
    OH!

OH MY GOD
    OH!
    TURN IT OUT
    OH!

76. Plug Says:

lo k Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 10:52 am
    ———-
    the conclusion was redman came….

THE-XFACTA Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 10:56 am

March 26th, 2008 at 10:54 am

—————

But on the boards……

Alc > ‘Ye

^All day.

78. Soul Clapper Says:

Puba is Pete Rock’s cousin.

79. Plug Says:

D. Billz Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 10:54 am
    ———–
    co to the sign

80. Mark Twain Fame Says:

Venny goin for that Revenge…lol.

81. THE-XFACTA Says:

Hell, it’s still not too many new beats that can fuck with “We Gon’ Make It”. Ras Kass lost.

83. THE-XFACTA Says:

Greg Nice and that other nigga Smooth were horrible rappers! But somehow they had some hits anyway… Ole echo on everyother word as niggas

84. Mark Twain Fame Says:

break time…

85. Soul Clapper Says:

Soul Clapper Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 10:58 am
    Puba is Pete Rock’s cousin.

===========================================

I meant the Heavster is PR’s cousin…

86. Soul Clapper Says:

==============================================

Sometimes they rhyme slow…

87. SNORT_SNORTcrazy88since88 Says:

THE-XFACTA Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 10:59 am

Sheeeeit! i just put they first CD on the iTunes… WOOOO!

Speakin’ of Alc beats, even though Prodigy ripped it (eskay’s mad right now, lol), I think Beans and Styles woulda did those beats justice too. But nowhwere on P’s level, imo.

89. THE-XFACTA Says:

When Rapping went wrong:

Greg Nice-Diz Gillespie plays the sax

Lil Kim-Dipping on your Ninja Honda with Tanisha and Rhonda… (bahhhh)

Nelly-Hands pedicured

90. b-ease Says:

D. Billz Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 10:59 am

Jesus. When Ras heard “We Gon Make It” I’m sure his ducts were strained to maximum capacity trying to hold the tears back. I mean, not only did you get the hottest beat you ever rapped on snathched. But Jada and Styles murked in ways he couldnt fathom. And Ras actually kind of killed it (still think Ras is overrated but I digress) but them Lox boys hit a whole new plane on that joint.

Beatnuts were also underrated. And J. Lo need to kill herself by not payin’ homage by havin’ them featured on that “Jenny From the Block” song after she jacked their track. That woulda been showin’ some Latin love to the homies. Not to say that Jada and P didn’t kill it, but come on. She’s a sellout.

92. SNORT_SNORTcrazy88since88 Says:

Spring againnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, and I’m feelin fine
    Pass me an ice-cold glass of wine
    So I can get mellow
    Lay back, and let my girl play the cello
    Hello
    I hate Jell-O

93. !Ven-Tech? Says:

THE-XFACTA Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 10:59 am
    Greg Nice wrecked “No escapin this”

with final verse AND dance

94. THE-XFACTA Says:

SNORT_SNORTcrazy88since88 Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 11:01 am
    THE-XFACTA Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 10:59 am

Sheeeeit! i just put they first CD on the iTunes… WOOOO!

I had their first CD tape and though it was a hit back then. It was still nursery rhyme shit. Though I will be the first to admit I did rock their shit ’cause the beats were retarted

95. lo k Says:

I say butta, you say parkay…

March 26th, 2008 at 11:03 am
    D. Billz Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 10:59 am

^He cried at the ASCAP meetings.

If I don’t get my ASCAP, you gon’ get your ass capped – Jada

97. SNORT_SNORTcrazy88since88 Says:

THE-XFACTA Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 11:03 am
    When Rapping went wrong:

Greg Nice-Diz Gillespie plays the sax

Lil Kim-Dipping on your Ninja Honda with Tanisha and Rhonda… (bahhhh)

Nelly-Hands pedicured

(trucky from Pooty Tang)
    …and they fucked them songs up TOO….

98. !Ven-Tech? Says:

D. Billz Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 11:04 am

J. Lo lost after the club shootout, I haven’t checked for her ever since, a real bitch from the block woulda shot back…

*puts on Yoda mask*

“Ryde or die bitch J. Lo is not”

99. Ghost Writer Says:

Yo anybody got LL Cool J’s 1st album?

SNORT_SNORTcrazy88since88 Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 11:04 am
    Spring againnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, and I’m feelin fine
    Pass me an ice-cold glass of wine
    So I can get mellow
    Lay back, and let my girl play the cello
    Hello
    I hate Jell-O

^Ma$e robbed those lines for his song he did with Billy Lawrence (also milk carton status) on his 1st album.

LOL @ VTech. Word. She wasn’t keepin’ it Bronx. Remy woulda been shootin’ back from the limo.

102. b-ease Says:

with Billy Lawrence

I used to dig that mulatto. For real.

!Ven-Tech? Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 11:05 am
    THE-XFACTA Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 10:59 am
    Greg Nice wrecked “No escapin this”

with final verse AND dance

^”O… O… O my god! O!”

104. SNORT_SNORTcrazy88since88 Says:

D. Billz Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 11:08 am
    SNORT_SNORTcrazy88since88 Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 11:04 am
    Spring againnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, and I’m feelin fine
    Pass me an ice-cold glass of wine
    So I can get mellow
    Lay back, and let my girl play the cello
    Hello
    I hate Jell-O

Ma$e = Hip-Hop Teddy Pendergrass (c: Tranny in both cars)

105. THE-XFACTA Says:

D. Billz Says:

March 26th, 2008 at 11:04 am

————

Jenny’s from the BX so I feel obligated to respond, but I don’t really like that bitch (beyond that fat donkey ass of hers) so……. “don’t say mean things about J-Lo please”

106. Joe 88 Says:

Ma$e robbed those lines for his song he did with Billy Lawrence

Speaking of ma$e, he killed his career when he did that rugrats video with mya, he looked so retarded in that video, pure comedy

107. b-ease Says:

Yea, that was the nail. But I think the coffin was the Harlem World video with the Sister,Sister twins (who look fucking incredible now) at the circus. The Rugrats vid culda came first tho. Either way, that was a 1-2 punch nobody’s career could recover from.

108. Big Homie Says:

Yo anybody got LL Cool J’s 1st album?

^ Email Canibus. I am sure he has it.