Dr. Dre Talks to GQ About Smoking Weed

The new issue of GQ has a rare interview with Andre Young. He talks about a bunch of stuff like the N.W.A. days and the Curtis and Game beef, but of course this is what caught my attention. Maybe it’s common knowledge that Dre still burns trees, but these days I tend to think of him as an old fogie elder statesmen type of dude, so it kind of bugged me out to actually hear him say it.

So you actually smoked “the chronic,” that particular strain of weed?
Yeah.

You didn’t freak out the first time?
Nah. I liked it.

Did it become part of your creative
process?
Weed doesn’t make me more creative. I don’t smoke before I work. I like to smoke when I’m done and listen back to the music, under the influence. [laughs] Some people can go in and smoke from morning to evening and it doesn’t affect them. But it slows me down. I’ve definitely created stuff high before, but I prefer to do it the other way.

When was your peak of weed smoking?
Um—last night? [laughs] It’s still goin’. Nothing’s changed.

Also interesting is where he claims to have left Death Row with adequate compensation and then acts as if Suge never took one penny from him that he didn’t deserve. Which is funny seeing as Dre has a lawsuit pending against what’s left of the company as we speak.

244 Responses to “Dr. Dre Talks to GQ About Smoking Weed”

1. Rey Says:

Budden is a Closet Nahgger!

JOEY! CLICK MY NAME!

2. I Fux Says:

G7 Says:

October 11th, 2007 at 2:33 pm
    >>and what has Jay Electronica done for me lately? has he dropped a new song? video? mixtape?

^Jay Elec was the talk of the town in here a month ago, but that died off quick.

^^^^^^^^^^^ I still listen to this every day

3. tyrone biggums Says:

catch 22 – sent

4. I Fux Says:

^^^^^^Ahhhhhhhh Ty *daps* good to see you stay on Buddens D-Train[||]

5. tyrone biggums Says:

Rey Says:
    October 11th, 2007 at 2:35 pm

Budden is a Closet Nahgger!

JOEY! CLICK MY NA

and i fux and eskay and basically everyone that hated on him, they all said he was lazy, well another reason why you know those people arent budden fans ( eskay used to be ) theres no way anyone who follows his career would say he is lazy, he was the oringal whore before weezy, he jumped on every beat made years ago

>>but don’t tell me nah right hasn’t changed, you used to stay doing budden posts on everything now you can’t even mention he got dropped ?

you read too slow, I already replied to this.

here you fuckers go

*goes in post stash for some underground shit*

7. green eyes Says:

JOEY! CLICK MY NAME!

^*ghostrides the dial up connection *

8. E AKA THE REAL NORIEAGA Says:

Budden is a Closet Nahgger!

JOEY! CLICK MY NAME!
    If Budden read this site he’d probably kill himself, seeing as whenever his name is brought up 90% of the time everyone’s clowning him, lol

9. Rizz Says:

i see you dropped a styles mixtape the other day that was dope but thats what got this site so big every day there would be a new mixtape posted and we would all pick it apart, and it’s not just budden but that is a perfect example, you used to stay posting a lot more undergorund or less know shit, you used to enjoy trying to break artist to people, now the goals not the same, it’s ok but doesn’t mean the vets shouldn’t be disappointed
    _________________________________________________
    i dont really care about budden posts but there did used to be a ton of mixtapes on here and now i have to search elsewhere if i want something that just came out cause it doesnt get any spins around here and like someone else said earlier crooked i gets boring and the remix to west coast anthem shoulda been posted instead of the original

10. catch22 Says:

ty,
    thanks for taking a time out from all your e-hating

I never said Joey was lazy, stop it.

12. I Fux Says:

Sounds like a new Michael Jackson track, damn he still gots it ………..

13. belize Says:

When was your peak of weed smoking?
    Um—last night? [laughs] It’s still goin’. Nothing’s changed.

*lights eLe in agreement*

Wake and bake Biatches!

14. BK2LV Says:

>>>he has an established fan base but I doubt he’ll make money from album sales, all his money will come from touring

…..yup…he will do big numbers as far as free downloads do but just like almost every other rapper today you live off touring money…..

^^^ yeah but where will he tour only on the east coast???…. I know alot people out here where im at (las vegas) who i still educate on Joey…. plus 300K for joey and this hip hop market would be a good look….

If yall think joey would sell 300k what do u think saigon would sell?????

new siagon snippet is crack

15. Rey Says:

lol @ Greenita..

Hey, does anyone else think that Ty and Eskay have been waiting to have this conversation for months? They seem like a couple that’s been together for years and are finally sharing pent-up concerns.

It’s kinda cute, actually.

lol–No homo, of course.

16. I Fux Says:

eskay Says:

October 11th, 2007 at 2:38 pm
    I never said Joey was lazy, stop it.

Probably not but lets admit he is something

17. Snort_SNORTcrazy88since88 Says:

First and Foremost, I want to say, All praise is Due To ALLAH. For blessing me with this Uzi of a mouth piece & my undoubtedly Uncontrolled Charm, Swagger and confidence, which to some is known as “GAME”. Like the brother Nas once said, “I got no game, its just some women understand my story”. I say to ALL the women who understand my stories, Thank You, and enjoy.

I NOW return you to your regularly scheduled program.
    *which is*
    (Nas > MF Doom > Lupe > LOX > Camel/Hov > Pimp C > Crook I > Papoose > Sean P > 2Pac > Rey’s Fitted Hat, NEWS )

18. catch22 Says:

ty and eskay is the new curtis and kanye

as for the lack of mixtape posts and other shit, I don’t have time to post alot of shit like I used to. if I had nothing better to do than sit around blogging all day (like I did at my old job), you’d see alot more of everything.

20. Mark Twain Fame Says:

*back from lunch dance…????*

this article seemed pretty boring…*yawn*

zup…whud I miss?

21. catch22 Says:

mtf. you picked a bad time to go to lunch

22. G7 Says:

>>In that Budden interview he mentions people calling him lazy.. Wasn’t that Jamz or Siete?

^that was me! lol. well, who else takes two years to put out a mixtape? if thats not laziness, then I don’t know what it is. When it comes to making shit happen for himself, Budden is lacking.

23. Rey Says:

@ BK2LV– I’m just saying that Joey doesn’t have great commercial prospects, but I think he knows that. I would love it if he sold 300k–that’d be a big deal and I’d be excited that people were gravitating towards his music.

The fact is, there is a lot of bullshit music out there, and I think people are finally getting sick of it. There’s gonna be a huge backlash out there against all the gimmicky shit, and I can’t wait for it.

Tell you what, MIMS started the wave o’ hate, and one day some Teeny Bopper is gonna put out another dance song with crappy lyrics, and then the REVOLUTION IS GON’ COME. I’m talking to you, Soulja Boy!

~~~

*rey custom makes size 14/6/7ths fitted hat with “10%” written on it*

24. Snort_SNORTcrazy88since88 Says:

eskay Says:

October 11th, 2007 at 2:42 pm

u need a Blog Intern.

25. tyrone biggums Says:

I don’t post about Budden? so you think cuz I haven’t posted about him leaving DJ, that I’m not gonna post anything? you should know by now that when something pops in the blogosphere and eskay hasn’t posted about it yet, he has something up his sleeve.

….if i just heard bout it the last couple of days i wouldn’t of said anything, but i heard this a couple weeks ago, in fact i saw people talking about it on here a couple weeks ago before i went on vaca, i figured when i came back you would of touched on it but you haven’t maybe i jumped the gun but howlong you plan on waiting?……

I posted the blu and exile video a couple of weeks ago. and what has Jay Electronica done for me lately? has he dropped a new song? video? mixtape?

nation might post a 3 month old song or video, but eskay don’t get down like that you niggas know this, so stop acting brand new.

….i’m just using this as a classic examples, i get it i see where you are coming from but again you used to take more enjoyment out of trying to help artist break out ( at least it seemed like you did ) now i don’t see that as much, i don’t expect you to post something bout them now but you could of 3 months ago before it would of needed a late pass, but w/e w/e w/e i’m obviously still gonna come here, i just keep trying to take shots to keep you focused so you don’t keep forgetting about the vets and hopefully you might want to take it back to nah rights prime,every once in a while

26. I Fux Says:

G7 Says:

October 11th, 2007 at 2:43 pm

^^ ^dude needs to spend a week or two in the South with them Bamma’s and learn to hustle…….but in the great words of my Father “lazy people in this world are neverending”

27. BK2LV Says:

>>>>When it comes to making shit happen for himself, Budden is lacking.

^^^ thats exactly what im saying thats why he needs a label that gonna go over the limit fo rhim to make up for joeys ADD (lazyness)…..

28. Rizz Says:

Snort_SNORTcrazy88since88 Says:

October 11th, 2007 at 2:45 pm
    eskay Says:

October 11th, 2007 at 2:42 pm

u need a Blog Intern.
    ________________________________
    where is dre?

29. benhameen Says:

yo eskay dont turn into Dj Clue…forget where you came from….

*checks time*
    *realizes Clue is still rich*

um forget it

30. Rey Says:

I knew it was Siete! *roundhouse kick to G7*

~~~~

Snort_SNORTcrazy88since88 Says:

October 11th, 2007 at 2:40 pm

I NOW return you to your regularly scheduled program.
    *which is*

Whoa Whoa Whoa.. My fitted hat is waayyy better than Pimp C!

31. I Fux Says:

Yall Know about a Lupe mixtape called The Coolest?

32. BK2LV Says:

eskay u should do interviews for a blog intern ……

*gets application ready*

33. catch22 Says:

u need a Blog Intern.

interns are whats up. mon-nah-ca lewinski

34. G7 Says:

Koch reminds me of WCW in the late 90’s. When wrestlers couldn’t cut it in the WWF(major label) anymore due to age or whatever, they bounced and went to WCW.

35. E AKA THE REAL NORIEAGA Says:

Yall Know about a Lupe mixtape called The Coolest?
    ^^^^^
    is it new songs?

36. tyrone biggums Says:

eskay Says:
    October 11th, 2007 at 2:42 pm

….yeah it’s not that big a deal either cause i can find the shit on my own now and I owe that to this site, and the posters will find shit and post it before you, and thats cool i understand you can’t be sitting next to your comp. at all times waiting to post shit, it’s really more of sales fuckery that drives me nuts, but like i said i’m still gonna be here regardless, and i understand you have to try and attract the masses, i’m just saying every once in a while it wouldn’t hurt to take it back on them, maybe just once a week you post on something the Vets might like and the mainstream might not care about, thats all i’m saying….

37. I Fux Says:

^^ Lupe- Questions? …….some annoying website drops but dope song

>>u need a Blog Intern.

I do. I have Dre, but you know, people actually have lives to live so it’s tough to always be on point. and the way I am, if I’m mad late on something, I’ll say fuck it and ignore it.

39. tyrone biggums Says:

eskay Says:
    October 11th, 2007 at 2:38 pm
    I never said Joey was lazy, stop it.

…..actually you did, i sent a shot at Jay saying he was holding back Budden and you came back with

” niggas really need to stop blaming jay for budden not putting an album out, jay isn’t holding him back just tell him to stop being so damn lazy, or something along those lines ”

but i know thats not your normal stance

40. G7 Says:

Rey Says:

October 11th, 2007 at 2:48 pm
    I knew it was Siete! *roundhouse kick to G7*

====
    lol. Budden been benched since 03. MM2 was 05. How do you go another 2 years without a dropping a single mixtape and hope to be relevant? Big fan of his music, but son is the mad slacker.

41. Mark Twain Fame Says:

catch22 Says:

October 11th, 2007 at 2:43 pm
    mtf. you picked a bad time to go to lunch

ayo whut happened?…give me the info catch…anyone.

42. harrydirty Says:

drs…and lawyers smoke it too.

43. chin Says:

seen seen dre still burnin trees

44. Metal Lungies » Blog Archive » Another reason to be happy about ‘American Gangster’… Says:

[…] And when it does become a success, maybe it’ll open up Dr. Dre’s eyes to see that he’s sitting on a goldmine in Only Built For Cuban Linx II. On the surface, the albums’ themes sound similar: classic NY rapper taking it back to his roots to add something fresh to the game. But Raekwon hasn’t been high on Dre’s list of priorities for a few years now — case in point, 2 recent high profile interviews with Dre, and no apparent mention of Rae’s name anywhere. Maybe Jay getting a victory with American Gangster will motivate Dre to put some backing behind Cuban Linx II. Maybe Jay’s now-infamous listening session and working the internet for buzz will provide a blueprint (pun intended) for Aftermath to follow when promoting Rae’s album… or, maybe I’m just the only person who still doesn’t want to accept that this Wu-Tang/Aftermath collaboration was doomed from the start. […]